U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:08 PM

867 posts, read 1,518,779 times
Scorecard Home

Pollution Rankings

Looks like I am gonna make another trip back to my destination of choice to make the final decision and look for a place to rent temporarily.

Anyone remember Champion/Blue Ridge out of western North Carolina dumping toxic stuff in the Pigeon river just outside of Knoxville? It was really bad, that they dubbed the community as Widowville (or Widowsville).

Old 08-25-2010, 02:15 PM

654 posts, read 884,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Scorecard Home

Pollution Rankings

Looks like I am gonna make another trip back to my destination of choice to make the final decision and look for a place to rent temporarily.

Anyone remember Champion/Blue Ridge out of western North Carolina dumping toxic stuff in the Pigeon river just outside of Knoxville? It was really bad, that they dubbed the community as Widowville (or Widowsville).
Actually that is pretty far outside of Knoxville, at the North Carolina state line. It is a company out of Canton, NC, if I remember correctly that has been, and apparently still is, discharging waste into the river.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:24 PM

134 posts, read 125,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Scorecard Home

Pollution Rankings

yeah, and don't kid yourself any, it still stinks. Not as bad, you'll hear. But, if like myslef you weren't here years ago to compare smells, it stinks!

It's of course really bad in Canton, but, one can smell it when it starts up in Maggie, Waynesville, of course Clyde, even way down into Cruso.

It's worse on rainy or snowy days. And, people from Canton also have a high cancer rate.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:43 PM

21,608 posts, read 29,740,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyshasta2 View Post
yeah, and don't kid yourself any, it still stinks. Not as bad, you'll hear. But, if like myslef you weren't here years ago to compare smells, it stinks!

It's of course really bad in Canton, but, one can smell it when it starts up in Maggie, Waynesville, of course Clyde, even way down into Cruso.

It's worse on rainy or snowy days. And, people from Canton also have a high cancer rate.
This is in North Carolina?

It seems to me that I read that up on the North Carolina state line there have been more than one violation from different companies.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:09 PM

134 posts, read 125,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This is in North Carolina?

It seems to me that I read that up on the North Carolina state line there have been more than one violation from different companies.

You read correct. NC is no better to live in than TN as far as pollution goes. In fact, I have been reading some earlier posts from 2008-2009 and one in particular donsabi really brought out a lot of info regarding the pollution in Kingsport area (10/24-2009). This pollution stuff isn't something to laugh about. When we first came down here to NC to check it out, I didn't smell Canton (as we say) or no way would I have moved here.

I don't know how to get around this pollution bit tho, to tell you the truth. When I was a kid back in the '50's I lived right near Lake Champlain and we could not eat the fish there in the summer or even the clams. The only fish I have ever eaten up north were smelt and bullhead. Even if we went swimming, there was a green algea all around. It wasn't just Lake Champlain, but other areas as well. I lived in Glens Falls, N.Y in the late 1960's and early 70's and the smell from the 3 or 4 paper plants literally made one vomit.

So, this pollution business has been around a long time. Is it getting worse? I don't know. When did people start taking note of pollution? I know of some areas where the water has never been of drinking quality.

So, how does one get around this?

Old 08-25-2010, 03:46 PM

867 posts, read 1,518,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Actually that is pretty far outside of Knoxville, at the North Carolina state line. It is a company out of Canton, NC, if I remember correctly that has been, and apparently still is, discharging waste into the river.
Yes, in Canton, NC. Maybe it isn't close to Knoxville, but it affects Knoxville and eastern Tennessee big time. Pigeon river runs into the Tennessee river system.
Quote:

So sad that we are not safe from danger stuff like that. My mom says she remembered smelling it when we were in Maggie Valley/Waynesville. There was a little wild-western type theme park there.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:33 PM

654 posts, read 884,992 times
Quote:
You read correct. NC is no better to live in than TN as far as pollution goes. In fact, I have been reading some earlier posts from 2008-2009 and one in particular donsabi really brought out a lot of info regarding the pollution in Kingsport area (10/24-2009). This pollution stuff isn't something to laugh about. When we first came down here to NC to check it out, I didn't smell Canton (as we say) or no way would I have moved here.

I don't know how to get around this pollution bit tho, to tell you the truth. When I was a kid back in the '50's I lived right near Lake Champlain and we could not eat the fish there in the summer or even the clams. The only fish I have ever eaten up north were smelt and bullhead. Even if we went swimming, there was a green algea all around. It wasn't just Lake Champlain, but other areas as well. I lived in Glens Falls, N.Y in the late 1960's and early 70's and the smell from the 3 or 4 paper plants literally made one vomit.

So, this pollution business has been around a long time. Is it getting worse? I don't know. When did people start taking note of pollution? I know of some areas where the water has never been of drinking quality.

So, how does one get around this?
Actually, you probably cannot, anywhere in the world. There were years of, and tons of, various type of pollutants discharged into the waterways, buried, discharged into the air, etc., before any types of environmental controls were enacted in this country. And that is still going on in many places. Some pollutants are "treated" before discharged, such as supposedly in Canton, but the problems aren't going away, although they have been minimized to a degree. Still, no one is going to die of Ozone poisoning and there isn't going to be a laboratory pure environment anywhere at anytime. Erupting volcanoes discharge tons of pollutants, for example, which cannot be controlled, and look at the Gulf oil disaster. Some things are not very pleasant and just have to be tolerated. Pollution will exist as long as humans inhabit planet earth.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:09 PM

My parents remember when they would release dyes and chamicals into the rivers in Massachusetts and everyone would marvel at how pretty it was. When I read that detailed cancer study (where the Knoxville area looked pretty darn good) there was a lot of bladder cancer detected in the Mass. town that I grew up in and sure enough, my father now has it.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:50 PM

4,954 posts, read 5,998,092 times
Kind of amazing how some of this stuff was treated so casually back in the day isn't it?
I had a suprise a few weeks ago watching some old "based on a true story" movie about PBB contamination in the food chain in Michigan years ago. Turns out I happened to be growing up right in the area when and where it happened, so I'm probably chock full of PBB. I would imagine most people over a certain age have been exposed to all sorts of lovely things they don't know about. Add that to all the exposure we do know about and it makes you feel like the only safe place to live would be in some cave deep in the ground, far away from everything.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:59 PM

Check out Gasland. Gasland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's an incredible documentary that I recently saw on HBO. Places that you think are pristine like Wyoming and Colorado are shown to be so bad in spots that folks can set their tap water on fire. You start to realize how few places exist that have not been affected by the industrial age, if there are any at all.

That's why it's nice to be sandwiched in-between national and state parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville