Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 03:53 PM

14 posts, read 65,888 times

Advertisements

After a year of traveling throughout the country since my graduation from the University of Arkansas, I am ready to attend graduate school in Fall 2011.

I am seriously thinking about a relocation to Knoxville to attend UT Graduate School. I happen to have some questions about both Knoxville and UT.

Does Knoxville have urban feeling to it with population of 170,000+ with plenty of recreational opportunities with its close distance to the Smoky Mountains, lakes, and rivers?

How is the economy in Knoxville with job diversity and unemployment rate?

Does many UT graduates remain in the area with good job within 6 months after graduation?

Is it true that Tennesse is the state where students do not have to wait 6-12 months to establish TN residency for tuition purposes if you get DL with new address in the state for proof?

Are there any evidence that Knoxville/Eastern Tennessee is one of worst environmental places to live for pollution and its cancer-causing illinesses due to large population having cancer?

How's weather in Knoxville? I hope it's less humid compared to most of the South with less tornadoes and with little more snow and rain. LOL!

Does it ever flood badly in Knoxville like the one in Nashville few months ago?

Would I dislike Knoxville if I do not have a family and aren't into sports?

How's the dating scene for singles despite how family-friendly Knoxville is?

Are Knoxville residents tolerant of people with different views and lifestyles such as those who are non-religious and gay? It is obvious that most Tennesseans are religious but I have no idea if people are open-minded in Knoxville though. I've only been to Memphis and Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 04:32 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
That's a lot of questions, and a lot of items that are being discussed in other threads. This forum has a search function - Why not look aound and come back with a question or 3 that is most important or unsanwered.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
That's a lot of questions, and a lot of items that are being discussed in other threads. This forum has a search function - Why not look aound and come back with a question or 3 that is most important or unsanwered.
You are very right. I found answers to most of my questions. Since I am new to City Data Forum, it will take time to get used to it eventually.

How humid can Eastern TN be? I found information about weather but I am wondering if it's that much different from humidity here in Little Rock, AR. That was unanswered.

Does anyone know about the Deaf community and its size since TN School for the Deaf is in Knoxville? In my field, I work and provide services to people with disabilities including Deaf and Deaf-Blind clients.

I prefer to stay in the South due to low cost of living but I am trying to find least humid parts of the South. Any suggestions? I'm open to relocating to less humid areas in either Tennessee or nice surburb of Atlanta, GA near Atlanta Area School for the Deaf.

However, UT is a traditional campus in college town with MA/Ph.D. in my field compared to commute school of Georgia State University in Downtown Atlanta.

On the other hand, most people said I would benefit more from Atlanta due to its urban location despite its rising unemployment rate and explosive population growth.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:25 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAvidTraveler View Post
You are very right. I found answers to most of my questions. Since I am new to City Data Forum, it will take time to get used to it eventually.

How humid can Eastern TN be? I found information about weather but I am wondering if it's that much different from humidity here in Little Rock, AR. That was unanswered.

Does anyone know about the Deaf community and its size since TN School for the Deaf is in Knoxville? In my field, I work and provide services to people with disabilities including Deaf and Deaf-Blind clients.

I prefer to stay in the South due to low cost of living but I am trying to find least humid parts of the South. Any suggestions? I'm open to relocating to less humid areas in either Tennessee or nice surburb of Atlanta, GA near Atlanta Area School for the Deaf.

However, UT is a traditional campus in college town with MA/Ph.D. in my field compared to commute school of Georgia State University in Downtown Atlanta.

On the other hand, most people said I would benefit more from Atlanta due to its urban location despite its rising unemployment rate and explosive population growth.
The Tennessee School for the Deaf is in Knoxville, so I assume Knoxville has a sizeable deaf community.

As far as the humidity levels here vs. Little Rock, I believe we're slightly less humid. Plus, Knoxville is close to the mountains where one can go for some cooler weather. My brother used to live in Little Rock and loved it there except for the oppressive summer heat and humidity.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-21-2010, 09:28 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Well it's pretty humid here, I don't know how it compares to Little Rock. It may be a liitle bit better than ATL but I think the whole SE is bad.

Maybe it boils down to: do you want a city the size of LR or do you want to try something bigger?

Of course you could go a bit farther north to escape the humidity. Maybe even KY? And the midwest has a pretty cheap cost of living too.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:20 AM

187 posts, read 460,153 times
I would look into maybe Lexington KY,and UK....Its not as hot and humid up there as it is down here...Lex and UK is just as nice as Knox is...Lexington is alot cleaner than Knox is tho hands down...Lex is always in the top 10 every year of clean cities...I'd say check out both Knox and Lex to see which is better for you...Lex is just a 2 hour drive up I-75 from Knox

Old 08-22-2010, 09:12 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaguy83 View Post
I would look into maybe Lexington KY,and UK....Its not as hot and humid up there as it is down here...
Lex. is not as hot, probably about 3-5 degrees cooler, on average, but the relative humidity percentage averages are very, very similar, Lex. is not very different.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-06-2010 at 07:00 AM..

Old 08-22-2010, 10:10 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Have any of you actually been to Little Rock? It's brutally hot and humid. Much more so than here. Is it humid here? Yes, especially to folks from Maine or California. Not for people from Memphis or Little Rock or Miami, though.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Have any of you actually been to Little Rock? It's brutally hot and humid. Much more so than here. Is it humid here? Yes, especially to folks from Maine or California. Not for people from Memphis or Little Rock or Miami, though.
I totally agree. Humidity in Little Rock is awful; that's why I want to relocate to little cooler and less humid places.

I wish I could move back to my hometown Seattle, WA but the cost of living has gotten so high there. My cousin in college barely affords to rent a studio in the city.

I could check out Lexington, KY and UK. I thought the economy in Kentucky aren't good but anyway, I will look into it if UK has my program of interest.

How is Lexington cleaner than Knoxville? Is it because of horse ranches and bluegrass? LOL. It sounds more boring than Knoxville.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAvidTraveler View Post
I totally agree. Humidity in Little Rock is awful; that's why I want to relocate to little cooler and less humid places.

I wish I could move back to my hometown Seattle, WA but the cost of living has gotten so high there. My cousin in college barely affords to rent a studio in the city.

I could check out Lexington, KY and UK. I thought the economy in Kentucky aren't good but anyway, I will look into it if UK has my program of interest.

How is Lexington cleaner than Knoxville? Is it because of horse ranches and bluegrass? LOL. It sounds more boring than Knoxville.
I don't know. I just wasted precious time going through list after list of "cleanest cities" and have yet to find Lexington.

Folks, if you are going to put stuff out there, please submit the data. It's nice to want to help but we need accuracy, too.

What you will find up in Lexington is harsher weather. Tornadoes and snow storms are the norm, as opposed to Knoxville, where it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville