Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 03:10 PM

4 posts, read 9,621 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Knoxville, and I am looking for ways to
meet people. Could someone suggest service organizations,
volunteer organizations, or chambers of commerce to join?
Or, if you have ideas about other ways to meet people,
let me know. I don't want to join organizations that meet in
the evening. Suggest organizations that meet during lunch or
sometime during the day. I live in West Knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 03:39 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
I guess it depend on your reason to meet people.
If its business related, then things like Chamber events and BNI are a good networking source. Both the KNoxville and Farragut Chambers are very active.

If its social, then you might want to find the things that interest you, and start doing them. You will find people with similar interests.

Almost every church has groups or programs that are not all "church" if you know what I mean.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:46 PM

38 posts, read 70,665 times
Hehehe, I just saw something the other day talking about this.
It was something along the lines of this:
Step 1 Stand near other people
Step 2 Hang up your cellphone
Step 3 Talk

Not saying this applies to you of course, but in an ever increasingly "connected" society it has some truth to it.
It can be hard to meet new people because even something as simple as chatty small talk can't happen if everyone else is on the phone.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Well, I suppose as a country we do tend to talk too much on the cell phone. I'm not a fan. But Knoxville seems to be less "connected" and folks around here still very much enjoy chatting with the person standing next to them. Knoxville, as a whole, tends to be very polite, so they usually chat with the person in line as opposed to the person on the other end of their Blackberry, iphone, Droid or whatever.

I wholeheartedly agree with Barking Spider. Find your interests and do them and the friends will follow or join a business group connected with your field. Volunteering is fabulous, too, but once again, it will depend on your skills and interests. Would you prefer helping at a nursing home or teaching English-as- a-second-language, mentoring a teenager, etc?

Old 10-04-2010, 08:42 PM

60 posts, read 146,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nn2745 View Post
Suggest organizations that meet during lunch or
sometime during the day. I live in West Knoxville.

Lots and lots of them meet during the day.

Really depends on what sort of connection you are trying to make (business, pleasure, etc.)

Old 10-12-2010, 07:53 PM

6 posts, read 13,269 times
Church, for a common crowd of varied peoples from the rich to the poor try Saturday mornings at Cokesbury UM for recovery programmes, books a million on the pike at walker springs in the am, if you have animals (dogs) we have dog parks, walking parks (watt road), meetup groups (look on the internet for interests) and of course the old standby-librarys. I would suggest the walking parks and the morning gathering at Books-A-Million on Kingston Pike at the Walker Springs site (behind Shoneys), there are a lot of things to be involved in but as the person stated above it depends on your interest, if you do not have an affinity against the church's they have a lot going on during the week and weekends and a lot of them are social settings not churchy. If you have dogs and want to know the best dog parks check out Petsafe as they have good listings which they continously visit and monitor for the people, I do not have pets (my dog died a couple of years ago, probably will not replace, to painful), but my daughter does and she is involved in the activities. Look around there are a lot of things, get out and meet some of the people and get their ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville