Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,501 times

Advertisements

I am graduating college in May 2011 and getting married in July 2011. My fiancé and I are looking to move to Knoxville. I am a NOLA girl through and through and I know NOTHING about Knoxville. I am graduating from LSU and love my Tigers but I am worried about living in Volunteer land.

I have A LOT of questions and I am up to any advice anyone has to offer!!

- How is the Knoxville Police Department? My fiancé is a police officer and is looking to transfer there
- Climate?
- Natural disasters? (I went through Katrina so hopefully no Hurricanes)
- Jobs? I am a public relations major and would like something in that general field, but I am willing to look elsewhere to secure a job before we move
- Houses? We do not want to live in a bad neighborhood with crime, or in the suburbs. We want to find something with a little bit of land and a decent home for an affordable price. Any suggestions on areas in Knoxville?
- Realtorsthat won't mind a thousand questions!
- Popular events? There's a lot that goes on in NOLA (Voodoo Fest, Jazz Fest, French Quarter Fest, etc.) and I am hoping to find some of that in Knoxville.
- How are the people? Am I going to get messed with for being an LSU fan?
- ADVICE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 01:59 PM

610 posts, read 1,623,684 times
I'm 27 and a Knoxville native, though I just moved to Nashville earlier this year for work reasons. Good luck, I have a very good friend from Baton Rouge and he is a huge LSU fan. He lived here also for almost ten years before heading back to BR for school.

How is the Knoxville Police Department? Pretty good. TBI is also here, so they help each other and criminals are caught quickly.

- Climate? Seasonal, mild winters, 30's-50's norm, summers 75s-95s norm, though this year has been unusual with snow and extra hot summer. Milder than LA, I'm sure.

- Natural disasters? No hurricanes, no tornadoes-the plateau stops the tornadoes. We may be on a fault line (Can anyone verify this?) but have not ever heard of a quake here.

- Jobs? PR jobs are hard to come by. I worked for a prestigous ad firm that went under when the economy went down. It had been up and running since the '50's. But good luck, check out Tombras Group, Scripps, Bohan. Shoot me a DM if you want more names.

- Houses? Knoxville itself is much safer than NOLA- You'll have to tell us more what you're looking for before we can make suggestions. Older? Newer? Rural? City? Yard?

Realtors- I'm not sure if we are allowed to name realtors on here. If we are, I have a few names...

- Popular events? There will not be as many, it's a smaller city, but it does have its share of events. TN Valley fair, Greekfest, plenty 5ks each weekend, the circus, various music venues, Sundown in the City in the Summer...
- How are the people? Friendly, and you will get some ribbing, but the Volunteer spirit is what gave us our name, good people.
- ADVICE!!!! Visit first

Old 10-14-2010, 02:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
We have a lot of people here from NOLA. They came here after Katrina and stayed. I have a couple of clients that went back to NOLA but ended up coming back here. It's not as muggy as NOLA, here, the people are nice, the unemployment rate is the best in the state. Lot of Vols fans, but they are good-natured. We are transplants, been here five years and love it.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,501 times
We want to find something with a little bit of land and a decent home for an affordable price. He is going to want something away from the hustle of the city but close enough for me to commute. I found a house in Corrton ... how is that area? Any suggestions on other areas in or close to Knoxville?

Old 10-14-2010, 03:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Corryton is very, very small. It's an unincorporated community north of Knoxville and not near any major roads. Because of that, it can be a haul to get anywhere.

I know you are just trying to get your bearings but you really will need to figure out where you are going to be working and then look from there. Are you going to be able to find something affordable in a decent area that is near your job? Probably, unless "affordable" really means "crazy, dirt cheap." We are known for our cost of living and affordable homes. But I would really need a ballpark figure.

But, really, most of Knoxville and Knox County is considered "good." Coming from NOLA, I suspect you are going to think that the entire area is "really, really good."

Old 10-14-2010, 06:11 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
Suggest you find jobs before you make the move. For the most part, just like almost everywhere else, jobs are hard to find.
I have no idea if Knoxville Police is hiring, or will be hiring in 2011.
You really need jobs before you make the move.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:53 PM

60 posts, read 146,363 times
So long as you try to assimilate, you'll be fine (I went to college with kids from out of state and they used to always say how it was sooo much better in their home state...I'd always reply: "go back if it's sooo much better.")

I think East TN will give you a lot of good reasons to call it home.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:59 PM

358 posts, read 999,438 times
I am a N.O. native who got sidetracked in MS for many years and have now lived in Knoxville for 5 years. I still get homesick for the N.O. of my youth but would NEVER consider moving back again. K'ville is HOME now!

Old 10-21-2010, 01:15 PM

101 posts, read 297,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
I am a N.O. native who got sidetracked in MS for many years and have now lived in Knoxville for 5 years. I still get homesick for the N.O. of my youth but would NEVER consider moving back again. K'ville is HOME now!
I'm from NOLA as well. Born and raised, left at 18 to go to college. I am the same as you in that I get homesick, but I would never go back again. My parents and family are still there, but you would never find me going back because of the crime, cost of living, flood insurance, excessive property taxes, and I really like Knoxville.

My suggestion to the OP is to find a job and work wherever that job is. Job comes first, then location ... at least, that's how I see it when you are young in your career. Knoxville is a far cry from New Orleans when it comes to history, culture, and food, but it makes up for it with the people. The people of Knoxville are the nicest collective group of people I have ever had the pleasure associating with. Also, the weather here is MUCH better than in NOLA (except for this past dry summer ... my lawn hated it) with cooler nights and less humidity.

As for the Volunteer country thing, I am a big Georgia Tech fan, so moving here was tough for me with all the Vols stuff at first. Now I just go along with it. I'm still a GT fan, but the Vols are my #2 now.

Also, a little piece of advice for someone of your age, considering I was going through the same thing you are going through about 5 years ago:
No place is perfect. Every city in America has something great about it and something not so great about it. You just have to prioritize what is most important to you. When you are young in your career, don't worry about location, just worry about your job. Trust me, it will pay dividends in the long run.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:32 PM

469 posts, read 1,175,092 times
I am in the process of buying a house myself. My realtor is Herb Helton with Remax and he has been great. He is an older gentleman who went to UT and has lived in the area his entire life. I have the same preferences for area and he has shown me a ton of promising properties. He has really gone the extra mile for me at every turn and seems to enjoy answering a thousand questions. I would recomend Herb to anybody
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville