Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 11:41 PM
ymb ymb started this thread

5 posts, read 13,160 times

Advertisements

I'm from Ohio, and have been visiting the area for about the last 15 years. I'm 26, now, and finally, I'm making the move. I have relatives in Sevierville and Knoxville. For the time being, I'll be staying with my grandma, in the mountains. I've known about this for the last few weeks, but I don't think the shock has even set in yet. I have 2 more days of work, here, and the 24th, I'll be on the road.

I still can't believe it. I'm not sure what to do. This is probably the biggest change of my life, and I can't help but just guess what the future is gonna be like. I'll probably be spending a lot of time in Knoxville, because, quite frankly, the town is just bad ass. My aunt and I hung out in the square one night, and ate at the Tomato Head, which, by they way, was awesome, and I wish I had the time and the stomach to go to every other place there.

I don't know, I'm just ecstatic. It sucks leaving everybody and everything behind, but at least I'll be in a place that makes me happy. Maybe some of us will, unknowingly, pass each other on the street, and not be as hostile towards each other as I've heard some southerners are to northerners :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 12:17 AM

17 posts, read 17,019 times
Good luck with the move and glad you like the area...Being from the north doesn't mean that southerners are gonna be hostile towards you...I have a few friends from Philly,Chicago and Ohio...As long as you don't come down here and say that "this and that was better back in Ohio"....You won't have any problems with people here...US southern folk really are just easy laid back people once you get to know us...Well for the most part anyways...You're really close to my age,So if you need to know of any hot local spots or attractions..Just let me know and welcome to East TN

Old 11-15-2010, 06:53 AM

2,116 posts, read 6,785,872 times
I made a similar move when I was 25. It's very exciting and we're the lucky ones who have family to help out. Hope you will be happy here, for years to come, and that you find the job you want.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:10 AM

745 posts, read 1,711,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymb View Post
and not be as hostile towards each other as I've heard some southerners are to northerners :P
You've heard? People here generally aren't hostile to anyone who puts forth an effort to be sociable and not be condescending. And what you say you've heard is obviously a two-edged sword.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:50 AM

619 posts, read 1,606,575 times
Very exciting! I moved here two years ago. I left all my family and friends back in Tampa. I was 35 and i moved here with my fiance'. Don't regret it one bit.The people here are fantastic! Everyone is so friendly, i was really taken back. It's smaller than Tampa, and that is a good thing. It's really a great place to live.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,074,061 times
Well, you were doing great until you came up with the phantom philosophy regarding Yanks and Southerners. You also assume a lot. I'm a Yankee. One that made no assumptions about my new neighbors and fit in very well.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:02 AM

345 posts, read 917,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymb View Post
I'm from Ohio, and have been visiting the area for about the last 15 years. I'm 26, now, and finally, I'm making the move. I have relatives in Sevierville and Knoxville. For the time being, I'll be staying with my grandma, in the mountains. I've known about this for the last few weeks, but I don't think the shock has even set in yet. I have 2 more days of work, here, and the 24th, I'll be on the road.

I still can't believe it. I'm not sure what to do. This is probably the biggest change of my life, and I can't help but just guess what the future is gonna be like. I'll probably be spending a lot of time in Knoxville, because, quite frankly, the town is just bad ass. My aunt and I hung out in the square one night, and ate at the Tomato Head, which, by they way, was awesome, and I wish I had the time and the stomach to go to every other place there.

I don't know, I'm just ecstatic. It sucks leaving everybody and everything behind, but at least I'll be in a place that makes me happy. Maybe some of us will, unknowingly, pass each other on the street, and not be as hostile towards each other as I've heard some southerners are to northerners :P
From one Ohio transplant to another, Welcome!

We moved her about a year ago and LOVE IT!

I know exactly how you feel, leaving your friends behind. At times, in the first few months we were here, I felt so lost and alone. We were busy moving and working and just couldn't seem to get out and make new friends. That's changed now, it just took time. And of course, EVERYONE from Ohio wants to come visit us now, so we've enjoyed playing "southern host" to our old friends as well.

As far as hostility goes between southerners and northerners, I haven't felt that at all, except for here. There's a few people on this page that have made comments that made it more than it was, but 90% of the folks here on this forum have been absolutely wonderful new friends to meet and I am honored they have accepted me into their group...so don't sweat it, there's only a few bad apples in the bunch!

Welcome again, so glad you decided to move here and if you need anything, have any questions, just shoot me a PM.

Oh and PS., careful if you are an OSU fan...LOL! We aren't but we aren't UT fans either....just fans of college sports! LOL!

Old 11-19-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMopar View Post
F

As far as hostility goes between southerners and northerners, I haven't felt that at all, except for here. There's a few people on this page that have made comments that made it more than it was, but 90% of the folks here on this forum have been absolutely wonderful new friends to meet and I am honored they have accepted me into their group...so don't sweat it, there's only a few bad apples in the bunch!
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I don't think anyone on this thread said that Southerners are hostile or that there are problems between the two groups.

Well, anyway, folks around here are generally not hostile. When I lived in Florida I found more hostility. Not between regions of the country. Just in general.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:55 PM

345 posts, read 917,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I don't think anyone on this thread said that Southerners are hostile or that there are problems between the two groups.

Well, anyway, folks around here are generally not hostile. When I lived in Florida I found more hostility. Not between regions of the country. Just in general.
I sincerely apologize, my post was too vague. What I meant to say was that there are some individuals who have posted in this forum who have made comments that are against northerners. I didn't mean this thread and again, I do apologize.

It was a mistake in my part to not explain my point.

I have encountered a few individuals on this forum, not this thread, who didn't like 'transplants' and/or northerner's. That certainly is not indicative of ALL who post here, in all actuality, it was 2 people.

So my post was incorrect and inaccurate on the point I was trying to make.

Again, my apologies.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMopar View Post
I sincerely apologize, my post was too vague. What I meant to say was that there are some individuals who have posted in this forum who have made comments that are against northerners. I didn't mean this thread and again, I do apologize.

It was a mistake in my part to not explain my point.

I have encountered a few individuals on this forum, not this thread, who didn't like 'transplants' and/or northerner's. That certainly is not indicative of ALL who post here, in all actuality, it was 2 people.

So my post was incorrect and inaccurate on the point I was trying to make.

Again, my apologies.
No problem! I just couldn't figure out what you were saying. I read it a few times and I wasn't sure what you meant. Now I get it!

No worries! You are one of those people that fits in very well, just like me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville