Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 04:41 PM

424 posts, read 1,287,134 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are staying in Knoxville for Christmas but cannot find much info on volunteering on Christmas eve or Christmas Day for those less fortunate.

I tried to do this last year in Cocke County but it was too late as many of the volunteer orgs need background checks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

Old 11-17-2010, 04:23 AM

394 posts, read 789,495 times
Knox Area Rescue Ministries | Knoxville TN - Knox Area Rescue Ministries | Knoxville TN

Old 11-18-2010, 11:35 AM

358 posts, read 994,489 times
Here's my take on volunteering on holidays. There are usually more volunteers than needed and they wind up getting in the way, stepping on each other's toes and generally just doing a lot of standing around. Has anyone else found this to be true?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 AM

374 posts, read 940,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
Here's my take on volunteering on holidays. There are usually more volunteers than needed and they wind up getting in the way, stepping on each other's toes and generally just doing a lot of standing around. Has anyone else found this to be true?
Yes. That was my own personal experience. Too bad so many of us (including myself) can't take those warm fuzzy feelings into Jan, Feb, and March when the holiday spirit has diminished just as much as supplies for the food pantries and clothes closets and the numbers have increased for those needing winter assistance.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:58 AM

358 posts, read 994,489 times
TNGal, I do volunteer all year and love every minute of it. Much more rewarding than "paid" work. But this is why I avoid it on the actual holiday. Too many people just trying to feel better about themselves. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but, especially in these times, there are people in need every day of the year. If only each person would devote just one hour here and there or a few dollars on a regular basis, there would be no need for welfare. OK, off my soapbox. Everyone have a great Thanksgiving.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:04 AM

17 posts, read 16,992 times
You can always try Second Harvest food bank or the Mission of hope...Salvation Army is always looking for volunteers also....Helping people for the Holidays is awesome...Everyone should do it atleast once in there lifetime...I agree with the nice warm fuzzy feeling it gives you inside from helping the needy out

Old 11-24-2010, 05:46 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,233,868 times
I agree with inave and TN Gal now. Help is needed year round. Volunteering on the hoildays seems to me to always be about the volunteer (look at ME, I could be warm and snug at home and i'm not because I want to help YOU.) not the ones needing help. Either that or, God forbid, the misguided parent who wants to 'teach the kids how good they have it' by forcing them to volunteer at a holiday. Volunteering isn't about YOU.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:49 AM

345 posts, read 916,738 times
I agree, volunteering is something you should experience at least once in your lifetime...and most will find it very rewarding!

I did see an ad on the Knox newspaper website that said the Salvation Army was looking for bell ringers...maybe if you did something like that and found it rewarding, you could volunteer for other projects or events they need help with.

Sometimes people just need a push to get starting in being a good volunteer. If it takes the holiday to do so, then so be it.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,046,559 times
All excellent answers and valid points. Ultimately, when we give we receive. Always. It's unavoidable. If you volunteer you will reap the rewards. Too bad some people never realize that. I know some incredibly miserable people that never mange to get beyond themselves.

No matter what, kudos to Matt for wanting to volunteer. And I think it is an excellent suggestion to remember to volunteer year-round.

I think the most important thing is to remember to always pass it on. If someone is hurting, please help them. Don't just say you will pray for them. That's wonderful, too! But stop and help if you truly can. I don't mean the con- artist down at the corner that you may be hurting by giving them $5. (Maybe not, too!) But your neighbor, your co-worker; you know who these people are!

Tomorrow's thanksgiving. Do you know someone that will be alone? That doesn't have a turkey? Do something if you can!

And above all, let's try to be kind to one another, no matter the cost. Self-sacrifice is the biggest gift you can give to YOURSELF.

Happy holidays to all!

Old 11-25-2010, 07:35 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,233,868 times
I saw a bell ringer outside Kroger on Clinton Hwy in Powell TWO weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: