Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:01 PM

30 posts, read 93,534 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the info. I will definitely check out those free sites. Not trying to be a cheapskate, just trying to save as much as I can while paying for the house we are currently in. I will also check with those people about finding an apartment, maybe there is a very inexpensive 1BR or something similar.

I threw out the $100 figure because I know of some places not far from me that rent sites for that low. Granted, I am not in a tourist town. Most of the people that rent from there are out of state workers building chemical plants and the like.

If all the sites are around $300, it would make more sense to just spend the extra $100 for an apartment (saw a couple for $400 on Craigslist. I will be staying in Sevierville or very close. Work starts at 7AM, not sure how the school traffic or even the tourist traffic is up there that early. Plus, the closer I stay, the less I spend on gas! ......if theres an apartment close enough, i may even ride my bike to work! My work address is Church street, if anyone knows of inexpensive apartments near that area.

Oh yeah, where exactly is the bridge going to be closed? I will be driving a lot while at work.

Thanks again for all the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 05:14 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
c0wb0yup....you don't even want to think about a campground with the lond cold winter we had last year.....

Old 11-24-2010, 09:52 PM

Hey bones - how cold was it? I will be working outside!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:21 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
I'm on the plateau....

Several days in January and Feburary highs in the low 20's and several nights in the teens....even down to single digits....

We did have a couple days up to the 50's.....

If you go here and put in city and state....you can put month and year in to see past temperatures, rain fall and average....

www.wunderground.com

Old 11-26-2010, 02:11 AM

Ok, may have some good news. An old friend of mine is the head of safety at a plant near or in Alcoa. He also works at one in N Carolina, and currently lives in Rogersville NC. He said he wants to move to TN because of the no state income tax. That is good news for me, we can split costs. It may be near Maryville, so my next question to you good people is:

How long (in minutes) is the drive from Maryville to Sevierville?

What time of the day does the traffic usually get heavy and thin out?

Old 11-27-2010, 08:45 PM

374 posts, read 945,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0wb0yup View Post
Ok, may have some good news. An old friend of mine is the head of safety at a plant near or in Alcoa. He also works at one in N Carolina, and currently lives in Rogersville NC. He said he wants to move to TN because of the no state income tax. That is good news for me, we can split costs. It may be near Maryville, so my next question to you good people is:

How long (in minutes) is the drive from Maryville to Sevierville?

What time of the day does the traffic usually get heavy and thin out?
My experience is that the drive from Maryville is about 45 min. You can take 411 or Jeffries Hollow Rd (my preference) and both are two lane, narrow, winding roads. Not great if the weather is bad/icy. If you're sharing costs, I'd suggest splitting the difference and see if you could find something in Seymour until you both are more settled and see where you want to be for the long-term.

Traffic before 7 AM shouldn't be a problem, by 8 AM it's much heavier. If you leave work around 3 PM, your biggest issue will probably be school zones. Afternoon traffic in Sevierville can be a bear during the season and holidays, but since you'll be in downtown Sevierville it shouldn't be as bad as driving on the Parkway or Hwy 66.

Welcome to E TN

Old 12-01-2010, 12:56 PM

345 posts, read 921,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
If you can camp there with a travel trailer, it shouldn't be too bad. Get a generator to run your electricity and take your TT to get filled with H2O when needed or bring water in. ( big water jugs) Just a thought.

Is this the same place? Tennessee Camping - Tva / Douglas Dam Tailwater-Douglas Reservoir
The number is disconnected. Was it originally a campground that closed down?

I don't know what this place used to be, I've only been here for a year.

I don't believe it was a pay campground though. It's on the state land. And it's not the Tailwater Campground. That is a different facility, it's near the boat launch and public beach.

The place I am speaking of is on Rt. 92, near the smaller bridge. If you are coming from Sevierville, you would pass Von Hill Road, the go over the bridge and it would be on the left and the right hand side.

If you are coming from Dandridge, you would pass the turn off for Rt. 363, and it would be on your left or right, just before the small bridge.

You can camp at either location free of charge.

It's not listed on any map either; I haven't a clue why.

But I do know it's free. And free is good when you're saving money. LOL!

Cowboy, I wish you the best. Hopefully you'll find something that fits your budget.

Last edited by MrsMopar; 12-01-2010 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMopar View Post
Cowboy, I wish you the best. Hopefully you'll find something that fits your budget.

Thanks. When my house in Bama sells, that budget will get much bigger and easier to eventually find a 4BR with a garage! Until then, I am on a shoestring budget. My friend I mentioned in a post above is locked into a lease in Robbinsville NC until at least May. He said it would take about 2 hours to drive the winding road (he called it the "dragon") to get to Seveirville. Sooooooo........... guess it is back to looking at RV sites and perhaps renting a room from someone. I found a couple of possibilities on Craigslist. One lady wants me to click on a link in her email to get my free credit report to bring her....sounds like a possible scam to me. The link was "tiny.cc/something". I didn't click it, don't need any viruses!

If anyone knows of a local classified ad I can access, that would be great. I have a feeling there are much more possibilities than what is just on Craigslist.

Also, thanks TN GAL. Sorry I didn't reply, been a hectic few days with holidays, shopping, etc.

Even with all the plans changing constantly, I am still looking forward to living in TN.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:07 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
There are scams on CL but many ads are on the level. Sounds like you've got a good sense of which to avoid.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:41 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC Your possible new commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville