Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:13 PM

27 posts, read 73,645 times

Advertisements

JMT..Thank you! You made me feel much better, I was getting worried. Hiknapster...I don't mind the traffic. We live 25 minutes away from town now, so that is a minimum to get pretty much anywhere we want to go. So I know it will be traffic that will lengthen our drives, but the weather and people will be worth it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 03:55 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
This won't be regular traffic. This will be heavy-duty tourist traffic.

Do you have a job lined up? I strongly suggest that you do so before moving.

Also, the Sevier County unemployment rate is 8.7. That's for October, their busiest month of the year. Watch for that to go shooting up very soon. Most of that area is dependent on service jobs.

On the other hand, Knox County is 7.0.

If you are to be working in Knoxville you are far better off living there.

We deal a lot with this issue. Folks come to the area, fall in love with it, and want to live there. I can tell you that living in a tourist area is not a lot of fun for numerous reasons. Just a fyi.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:43 AM

35 posts, read 143,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Crime is high but probably because it is a tourist area. With all of those motels and people the stats are bound to be high. The truth is for the average joe it is probably safe enough, no matter where. The better question is where are you going to work? Where you live should coincide with that.
Just to help clarify, I live in a rural area of Ohio, around 10 years ago they built an outlet mall in a neighboring town adjacent to I-71. It completely skewed the crime statistics. With the arrival of the outlet mall you got shop lifting, passing bad checks, credit card fraud, passing counterfeit money, cars vandalized or items stolen from cars and car theft. Little or no increase in violent crime, just crimes of opportunity. The close proximity of a major highway makes it easy for a quick getaway and criminals know it, most involved in the crimes are not from the area.

Tourist areas tend to have the same effect, crowds of people, lots of money changing hands, and people in a hurry. It makes it easy for criminals to hide in plain sight.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:18 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
You really have to experience the traffic going thru Pigeon Forge to understand what you may be exposed to on a daily basis.

I quit advertising in Sevier County because I didn't want to deal with the traffic. From now till January you can probably walk faster that the cars (Christmas lights and shoppers).

Old 12-05-2010, 04:30 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,504 times
I agree totally with JMT and Ohiofisherman- an influx of tourist traffic, whether overnight or day tripping, does tend to skew results.
I've never felt unsafe in any area, residential or commericial, in Sevier County.
I also agree with Hik (when did I become so darned agreeable?!?!)- there's traffic- people trying to get home or to work- and then there's Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg traffic. Miles of cars, some loaded down with bikes and roof racks or pulling campers or trailers- oftentimes with the driver's range of vision partially blocked with luggage/shopping bags, full of people hellbent on having fun. You really have to watch out for tourists- unsignaled lane changes, sudden stops, pedestrians darting out in front of you- all because they're so excited they seem to forget the rules of the road or common sense.
Add the everyday Joe who is trying to get to work or home, who has had to leave a hour or so ahead of the time it would take to travel that distance in any non-tourist area... it's frequently a mess, that's for sure.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
I agree totally with JMT and Ohiofisherman- an influx of tourist traffic, whether overnight or day tripping, does tend to skew results.
I've never felt unsafe in any area, residential or commericial, in Sevier County.
I also agree with Hik (when did I become so darned agreeable?!?!)- there's traffic- people trying to get home or to work- and then there's Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg traffic. Miles of cars, some loaded down with bikes and roof racks or pulling campers or trailers- oftentimes with the driver's range of vision partially blocked with luggage/shopping bags, full of people hellbent on having fun. You really have to watch out for tourists- unsignaled lane changes, sudden stops, pedestrians darting out in front of you- all because they're so excited they seem to forget the rules of the road or common sense.
Add the everyday Joe who is trying to get to work or home, who has had to leave a hour or so ahead of the time it would take to travel that distance in any non-tourist area... it's frequently a mess, that's for sure.
Yep. And I said right off the bat that the crime stats are very high but that was because of the tourism and it was safe enough for the average Joe! I think that somehow got lost.

I think Ohio fisherman said it best. The area is full of crimes of opportunity. If you took away the restaurants, attractions and the thousands and thousands of hotel rooms the crime would probably be under the national average. Well under.

Living in Sevierville is very doable, but you have to make sure you are located on the "right" roads to your workplace. You also have to realize that prices can sometimes be higher because it is a tourist area.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 AM

27 posts, read 73,645 times
Thank You everyone! I really enjoy reading your comments and we are taking it all into consideration.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,776 times
I hope everyone keeps posting info about the area. We are visiting the area in September, scouting for a place to retire. We too were shocked to read all the negative on the crime rate; I have lived in the bay area of CA my entire life, so we have seen and heard it all. I have visited several other states, finding the folks in South Dakota and Oklahoma much friendlier than Californians (sorry if that offends an CA natives but I am one, so I can say it, we are rude here, probably because we are all so stressed out most of the time, not because it is intentional)...do you find that your neighbors smile and wave in this area? When shopping, do folks there acknowledge you with eye contact and a smile? Please, I am not trying to offend anyone; we just want to know what we would be getting into--thanks for your help and honest opinions...

Old 08-07-2011, 11:43 AM

Once again, I cannot stress enough how bad of an idea it is to move to a tourist area. You will not meet nice people, for the most part. You'll meet people that are from somewhere else. Traffic is a bear. Prices are higher. Why come clear across the country to retire to that? What is the point of moving to Tennessee, after all, if you are going to settle into a tourist trap?

I don't get it.

In six years of living in Knoxville the only time someone leaned on their horn and yelled at me was while I was in Sevier County and they had a Florida plate. Ten miles over the speed limit wasn't good enough for the jerk. To heck with that. I prefer to live amongst the locals.

On the other hand, maybe you're acclimated to rude folks, lots of traffic and high prices. Just don't ever confuse it with "real" Tennessee.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:00 AM

135 posts, read 293,475 times
I live in Pigeon Forge/ Sevierville and seriously the crime isn't that bad. Yes we have our domestic violence and break ins but I can't compare it to Knoxville. I can walk on the streets at 3 in the morning and I swear to you I am completely fine with that. I have never felt unsafe here and never had problems with needing to move because of the crime rate. If you want to move I would pick Pigeon Forge because with all the tourist, the cops are going to make sure this is a safe community. I live in Sevierville right now and I can assume the crime rate is probably higher than Pigeon Forge. Kodak my brother lives there and that's our in the back.. I would still pick Pigeon Forge. The school system here sucks though. I graduated 2006 from Pigeon Forge High School and I cannot wait till someone has the balls and dignity to change Sevier County Schools. So with kids I can't help you with that. Gatlinburg is drugs. Sevier High School is all pregnancy and Pigeon Forge High is posers. Are football team went a WHOLE YEAR without winning one effing game! We are known for our crappy football team and it's embarrassing. Now I have heard great things with Seymour high school and the community there. I go to church in Seymour and it is a very pleasant neighbor hood. But no jobs. Though it is closer to Knoxville. If I can help, then I say Pigeon Forge. The cops are more after locals than tourist so you're safe. Just do the speed limit cause they are notorious for pulling over locals only.. no tourists....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville