Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 AM

345 posts, read 921,730 times

Advertisements

Being the transplant that I am, I need some assistance regarding what a "rick" of firewood is. I have searched it on the internet, but I have found a few different explanations.

That said, I knew someone here could help me!

Where I am originally from, firewood was sold by the cord. A cord measures 4 x 4 x 8.

I know types of wood, that isn't a problem. It's the measurement. I just want to make sure I'm getting what I pay for and both parties are making a fair deal. I don't want to short anyone or be shorted!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
A rick is one layer of a cord, or the face layer. So 8' x 4'x one stick deep (not the full 4' depth for the cord, which might be three boards deep (cut at 16" long)) Of course, this depends on how long the boards are cut.

Some use the pick up truck bed for measurement, a full bed, level is a rick. Of course, this depends on the size of the pick up bed.

Generally it would be about a third of a cord, but could be more or less.

Clear as mud now?

Old 12-06-2010, 02:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
A rick is one layer of a cord, or the face layer. So 8' x 4'x one stick deep (not the full 4' depth for the cord, which might be three boards deep (cut at 16" long)) Of course, this depends on how long the boards are cut.

Some use the pick up truck bed for measurement, a full bed, level is a rick. Of course, this depends on the size of the pick up bed.

Generally it would be about a third of a cord, but could be more or less.

Clear as mud now?
That's it!

See that. The gal from New England and the dude from California helped you.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:14 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Barking Spider is correct....1/3 of a cord....

Over here on the plateau.....a cord goes from $35 to $ 50 delivered and dumped....

If you plan to use this year....make sure it's seasoned and dry...which you probably won't get now.... I cut and split at least a year in advance....I have most of next winter's 4 cords ready to go....

Old 12-06-2010, 10:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
And a Joisey Boy!

I paid much more than that for a cord, delivered and dumped, here in Knoxville, but we are big city slickers. However, I have not purchased wood in a couple of years. We have a neighbor who keeps losing trees and we keep reaping the rewards.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:10 AM

Thank you everyone!!

There is a gentleman that sells wood by the rick for $55 and one a bit farther down the road that sells it for $60. Believe it or not, the $55 wood is a better wood to burn, and he keeps it in a barn, so it's nice and dry!

We used to pay $150-160 a cord up north, which was good seasoned wood.

I believe I'm going to go with the older gentleman's offer. He is obviously retired and sells this to supplement his income.

We actually have enough to burn for this season but we were thinking you can never have too much, especially since we have the space to stack it and keep it dry. Nice to have a mixture.

Thanks again!!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:16 AM

< Hangs head > "Cord goes from $35 to $ 50 delivered and dumped" should have read....Rick...

Old 12-07-2010, 11:25 AM

60 posts, read 146,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
< Hangs head > "Cord goes from $35 to $ 50 delivered and dumped" should have read....Rick...
Thank you for clarifying that. I was about to make arrangements to pick up some firewood in your neck of the woods the next time I was over there.

Also, don't forget a lot of wood is free for the taking on Craigslist. It's good, honest, clean work. Sometimes you can even find it split and stacked.

A man that chops his own firewood is warmed twice.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_KNOX View Post
Thank you for clarifying that. I was about to make arrangements to pick up some firewood in your neck of the woods the next time I was over there.

Also, don't forget a lot of wood is free for the taking on Craigslist. It's good, honest, clean work. Sometimes you can even find it split and stacked.

I will check out Craigslist, thank you!

Actually this year was the first year we split our own firewood. First, I will say that it is probably the hardest outside work I've done in a long time! The second hardest was pushing the wheelbarrow up the yard, which is an incline (shocker!LOL!) full of wood.
We had a tree that fell and figured since it was dead, we'd chainsaw it into small enough pieces to take up to the splitting area. Little did I realize that I would have to go uphill...

But it was so nice to sit in front of the fire this weekend and realize we did all the work to enjoy it.

And I also found that I have muscles in my shoulders, arms and back that I haven't used in years....
A beneficial workout in more than one aspect!

Old 12-07-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_KNOX View Post

I had a "senior" moment...

Last summer the power company trimmed trees in my neck of the boonies....got over 2 chords for next winter....

Get warmed more than twice.....cut, load, bring home, split and stack, then transport to the back porch....then burn, which is the best part...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville