U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:57 AM

5 posts, read 9,643 times
Default Moving to Knoxville with a pitbull

My boyfriend and I are moving across the country with our cat and certified therapy pitbull. Both of them are spayed, up to date on vaccinations and adopted rescues. I have always struggled finding housing for my dog with the stigma. We won't be moving until August 2011 but would like to meet landlords on our trip out there in April. I am looking for places that allow pitbulls. We will hopefully both be working on the UT campus, he will be getting a second master and I will apply for my masters to start August 2012. I don't know the parking situation on campus but if its hard to find a spot, I would like housing near the bus system or within biking distance (10 miles). I would like to live in a decent/nicer neighborhood as neighbors are very important to me. I also would like decent house. I would even live in a mobile home on an acre if its very new and the price is cheap. A grocery store near by and able to walk there at night, alone, safely. A dog park would be nice but I am not sure the rules on dogs in parks in Knoxville.

Wants
Yard, garden, 2bdrm, house, garage would be a nice perk. $700 month or less

So here are my questions

Anyone know of landlords that allow pits and cats?

Areas to live in with a nice neighborhood, grocery store and maybe small coffee shop, maybe water near by to take my dog swimming?

Are there smaller cities around Knoxville that we could live in? Would the commute be long? Would you recommended it?

How is the bus system? Can I ride it alone safely, without being stalked or hit on?

Is there parking on campus?

What would be a good hotel to stay in that allows dogs when we visit, and good places to go to see the Knoxville community, and restaurants?

Also are there any good places to take my dog swimming? rivers, lakes, large ponds?

Would it be worth buying a house for minimum of 2 years? If I want to do my masters elsewhere.

Thank you very much for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 02:12 PM

34 posts, read 52,935 times
I don't think any of the apartments/townhomes do, though some of them may individually look the other way on breed issues. Most of them won't take dogs over 25-30 pounds at all, and of the ones who do, there are often restrictions prohibiting pits/german shepherds/dobermans/rottweilers/chows/etc.

There's one guy who posts here sometimes who rents places and is a big dog lover, he only rents on 2 year leases, so I didn't go with him, but that might be ideal for you. I forget his website, but I'm sure one of the people who hangs out here will know who I'm talking about and supply it via DM or something.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:32 PM

21,595 posts, read 29,615,620 times
I wonder if he would take a pit. It's the insurance that will get you. His website says appropriate pets, so who knows. But landlords don't want to pay extra for the insurance so it is an enormous problem for renters. By the way, I say "him" because I do not endorse "him." I've heard too many bad things about him from previous tenants.

Regarding the other questions, I would recommend doing a "search" of this site. You'll find the answers you need.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:30 PM

5 posts, read 9,643 times
I tried to search but I didn't turn up much. I am new at this so maybe I wasn't searching the correct words. I actually take out my own renters insurance that covers my dog, my landlord requires it which is fine. I really need a good landlord as i usually try and update the homes I live in and take care of them, and having a landlord wanting the same thing for his properties is important to me. Thanks for the quick responses, I will await more info.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 PM

396 posts, read 753,270 times
We rented a townhouse at Eagle Point in Cedar Bluff with a 70 lb pit mix and two smaller dogs with no problem. Granted, he looks more like a mix than a pit and unfortunately, I don't remember what their policy is on pits.

Also are there any good places to take my dog swimming? rivers, lakes, large ponds? We take our big dog to Sequoyah Hills park which is along Fort Loudon Lake. Many people let their dogs run off leash there even though we have leash laws here in Knoxville. Some times it bugs me because there are occasions when someone does not have good control over their dog but we mostly have a good time there. There is also a dog park out west off of Lovell Road at Pet Safe Village. It is a fully enclosed dog park with a man made pond. It's pretty nice but kind of far out. We sometimes go to Carl Cowen park off of Northshore. That is kind of far too but it's a nice drive to get there, there is a small hiking trail and a nice park with a beach close by. If you go to the far end of the frisbee golf course, there is a nice, flat grassy area and easy access for your dog to jump in.

Would it be worth buying a house for minimum of 2 years? If I want to do my masters elsewhere. With the state of the housing market, it's hard to say. I guess it depends on how good of a deal you are getting to make your house easier to sell in two years.

LCG

Old 01-02-2011, 09:30 PM

If anything, folks around here don't like a lot of rules and regulations, so you might be more apt to find a landlord willing to allow your dog.

For the record, I love pits and think they get a bad rap. If they are difficult dogs it is usually because of the owner. Pits use to be family dogs, great protector of children. Folks love to say, oh, the dog was great and then one day it went nuts on the kids. Yeah. There is usually more to the story than that.

Remember the old Our Gang show? Pete the Pup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, I just thought I'd chime in about dog parks. I am a big cheerleader for the city and county parks and greenways in this area. Just fabulous. And we have quite a few dog parks, too. City of Knoxville - Recreation

We strive to be the pet friendliest community in the country. No kidding! Pet Friendliest Community | Home

By the way, I like living in Knoxville. It is a very small city and is as friendly as a large town. We moved here over five years ago and I've found that even though I prefer small towns, the feel of this "city" seems more homey than expected and I usually tell people to check it out first before looking for surrounding towns.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCabinGirl View Post
We rented a townhouse at Eagle Point in Cedar Bluff with a 70 lb pit mix and two smaller dogs with no problem. Granted, he looks more like a mix than a pit and unfortunately, I don't remember what their policy is on pits.

Yikes. I looked up their pet policy and they do not allow "aggressive" breeds, including mixed breeds that "include any parts of a breed" that they deem "aggressive."

Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 AM

34 posts, read 52,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I do not endorse "him." I've heard too many bad things about him from previous tenants.
Glad I didn't rent from him then.

Heh. I never knew that the our gang dog was a pit. The only bad ones I've seen were owned by people who "wanted a mean dog" to show how tough/manly/ignorant they were, and any dog would be bad in those circumstances. Still wouldn't own one though. Lots of other breeds equally loving and far less stigmatized.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 PM

396 posts, read 753,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yikes. I looked up their pet policy and they do not allow "aggressive" breeds, including mixed breeds that "include any parts of a breed" that they deem "aggressive."
Oops. Well, you'd only stand to be licked to death by our dog anyway. Look at that face!

Moving to Knoxville with a pitbull-100_1521.jpg

Old 01-03-2011, 05:30 PM

849 posts, read 1,351,741 times
It really sad because not all pits are aggressive or bad. They are very loving loyal dogs. I have owned many. I hope you find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville