Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:22 AM

11 posts, read 24,170 times

Advertisements

Thanks that's good. I definitely want the safest feeling area to live. I will definitely check out the Maryville College area.

I would still like another response on the snow update. I see it's supposed to snow everyday for the next few days, so do you all forecast difficulty in me driving around? I can drive in snow decently well, but if the plows are out it probably won't be too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
We tend to be a bit melodramatic about the snow around here. I include myself in this, having been fully indoctrinated. School has been canceled again, but really, we haven't had any new snow on the ground since yesterday afternoon. The main roads are very clear. The secondary roads are mostly passable. There are a couple of flakes flying around but no accumulation.

I don't know where you are from but if it is from up north you will have a good laugh when you get here. It is nothing to worry about. Unless you plan on going up the side of a rural mountain the entire thing will be a non-issue for you.

Rest easy...

By the way, in my area of north Knoxville we got about 2 inches of snow during our big snowstorm. That for the entire affair. And no new accumulation is expected.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 PM

Well I spent my first day here and it consisted of a lot of driving around. I am going to type it all out very monotonously just to get it done quickly.

I started out just driving around Alcoa/Maryville looking at things from the car. Then I drove to the entryway of The Great Smoky Mountain National Park but turned around because the roads started to look sort of scary since I don't what's beyond the sign with the snow situation. Then I drove to Pigeon Forge to check it out and just drove around looking at everything. I ate at 5 Guys Burgers and Fries for lunch. Then I drove back to downtown Maryville and just walked around local stores and around Bicentennial Park. I stopped into some stores and talked to some nice people, one of which was named "Dandy Lions". Then I went into the tallest building in Maryville, like Maryville Tower or something, and rode the elevator to the 16th floor and took some pictures from the top floor. I then headed to downtown Knoxville where I ate at Barleys Pizzeria and just drove around and saw a lot of stuff again like the World Fair grounds...I also went to the West End Mall and walked around and shopped a little. Finally I headed back to Maryville and I'm in for the night.

All in all I am very impressed with this location. It seems to have pretty much everything for a young couple to do, whether it's in the city, nice small towns, or in nature. I have also noticed that everyone I've encountered is genuinely nice as I've read on here. I feel right now that I do hope to move here.

Also, I've been called "boss" twice so far. Is that pretty common?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannmann View Post
Well I spent my first day here and it consisted of a lot of driving around. I am going to type it all out very monotonously just to get it done quickly.

I started out just driving around Alcoa/Maryville looking at things from the car. Then I drove to the entryway of The Great Smoky Mountain National Park but turned around because the roads started to look sort of scary since I don't what's beyond the sign with the snow situation. Then I drove to Pigeon Forge to check it out and just drove around looking at everything. I ate at 5 Guys Burgers and Fries for lunch. Then I drove back to downtown Maryville and just walked around local stores and around Bicentennial Park. I stopped into some stores and talked to some nice people, one of which was named "Dandy Lions". Then I went into the tallest building in Maryville, like Maryville Tower or something, and rode the elevator to the 16th floor and took some pictures from the top floor. I then headed to downtown Knoxville where I ate at Barleys Pizzeria and just drove around and saw a lot of stuff again like the World Fair grounds...I also went to the West End Mall and walked around and shopped a little. Finally I headed back to Maryville and I'm in for the night.

All in all I am very impressed with this location. It seems to have pretty much everything for a young couple to do, whether it's in the city, nice small towns, or in nature. I have also noticed that everyone I've encountered is genuinely nice as I've read on here. I feel right now that I do hope to move here.

Also, I've been called "boss" twice so far. Is that pretty common?
Hey Boss, Good report; glad all is going well. DandyLions is one of my faves! They have a facebook page also

Enjoy the visit!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:40 AM

29 posts, read 66,018 times
Glad you had good time! Very beautiful city, isn't it? And easy to drive around in, especially when there's no snow. I haven't heard "boss," but people like to call women, "Miss (first name)," such as Miss Olivia or Miss Anna.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:50 AM

Well I got the job! I will be moving to Maryville very soon and starting my job on March 14th!

They are sending my wife and I out for a home-hunting trip soon. The exact date hasn't been set yet, but we're going to try for the week of February 14th. We will have 3 days in the area to try and hopefully get an actual contract signed on somewhere to rent.

When I was in the area before, I drove around and saw some places for rent, but I wasn't trying to secure anything since I wasn't sure if I needed to.

We are looking for preferably a smaller apartment complex or townhome type arrangement to live in. We would like 2 bedrooms and at least 1.5 baths in a nice area of town, preferably within a mile or two from town...budget hopefully less than $500 per month.

So when I get a definite date, if anyone knows of any realtors that could help us out we'd definitely like to schedule an appointment to coincide with our trip.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Budget could approach $600 per month, but lower is better if quality can be had for cheaper.

Last edited by shannmann; 01-28-2011 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-28-2011, 12:26 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I couldn't see where to edit twice.

Also, washer/dryer connections is an absolute must. We are not accustomed to using a laundromat and do not wish to become accustomed to it (even if laundry is onsite, it must be within our home).

Also, we're pretty flexible on everything except the W/D connections. 1 BR 1 Bath would be acceptable if it's nice enough and for the right price.

Would also consider rental homes for the same price, if it didn't involve much lawn care.

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:20 PM

23 posts, read 42,417 times
You're not going to find much for $500 a month I wouldn't think.
That's exceptionally cheap. Especially for blount county.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 PM

Around $600 would be okay. When I was there I actually did stop by some offices of some nice enough apartment complexes in town. They were around $530 per month...so I know it can be done. Also going for 1 Bed 1 Bath would make it a definite possibility to live somewhere for $500 per month. Thanks for the advice, but I'm just letting everyone know that I know it's possible, they just need to be found...which is where the realtor comes in hopefully, since we don't have much time to find a place.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:32 PM

23 posts, read 42,417 times
Yes that makes more sense.
I wasn't thinking of apartments or 1 bed 1 bath properties.
With 4 in my family that's just not possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville