Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 06:53 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times

Advertisements

I said, a few posts back, after you accused me of being an unwelcoming native:

What I find interesting is to wake up to a PM from you that lectures me on being an unwelcoming native. I'm from Massachusetts, via Florida.

People on this forum know exactly who I am. I am not shy about it.

I go back to your posts and you mention that you would move back to Massachusetts in a heartbeat. Someone else pointed that out to me. They said that you might actually not like the south. That you might be disappointed in it.

At this point, all I can say to you is good luck in all your endeavors, and I hate cherry pie.

And you might want to put paragraphs in your posts. They are really hard to read. You are a teacher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 07:29 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
I didn't use paragraphs because I was afraid you might lose your train of thought.

I WOULD go back to MA is a heartbeat. I miss living there, but you might also note from my previous posts that my husband will not go back to the snow, ice and cold. I would prefer to live in my second choice with him and know that he is content with his retirement home.

If you don't like cherry pie, I could have something else for you to eat with your cup of coffee. Maybe some Humble Pudding.

And, yes, I am a teacher and will continue to be one until my body is in the cold, cold ground. And, no, you don't get 3 wishes.

I'm sorry that you take offense so easily. As I have gone back and read many of your posts on various threads and some other local folks' (mostly men), I think that I am getting the hang of your collective senses of humor. I just have mistaken "humor" for sarcasm and a "stay out of my backyard" attitude.

I'm flexible; I'll catch on, but I won't change. I'll continue to try to make other people - natives or out-of-towners - feel welcome every chance I get. Mainly, because I believe they should all be welcomed. And, I think that in spite of your sense of humor, you are trying to make people feel welcome, too. Am I right? You certainly know a lot about all that TN has to offer and share it for all of our benefit. And, you are quite frank about the things that aren't right also. That is appreciated by all of us who have stars in our eyes. That all seems neighborly to me!

What kind of pie?

Old 07-30-2007, 07:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
I didn't use paragraphs because I was afraid you might lose your train of thought.
You had me at that. You are rude and we are done.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:02 PM

I'm sorry if you don't get my sense of humor, hiknapster. It is kind of the way I felt when I read suggestions from you that I don't have "a light-hearted spirit" or other jabs at my personality.

And, I have apologized several times that you misunderstood my PM. I was not trying to be insulting or lecture you about being an unwelcoming native. I wanted you to know that some of your comments could be hurtful.

I know that you are from MA via FL; that's why I am so puzzled.

I haven't meant to offend. Just trying to follow suit and inject some humor.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:08 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
Good thing this was handled over PM and didn't hijack a perfectly good thread.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:28 PM

Red face Selecting a lake to retire near.

Please, everyone, accept my apologies. Bbkaren is right. I did want to express myself by PM only, but others would not have any of that.

This is a good thread and I am sorry that I contributed to getting it off track. The previous incident is indeed over.

Back to finding Lake Communities for deborah53. The people and communities I have visited over the years in Knoxville are inviting and friendly.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:41 PM

1,093 posts, read 471,444 times
Wow, we need to stay on the topic. Let's get along and help each other, that is how I feel. Like I have said before I live in very rural PA. People from Pittsburgh and Ohio (my brother moved back here after living in Arizona for 30years and does the same thing)work in their home area, make big money, and then come to the country to buy up the land. They are friendly while getting what they want and then suddenly turn on the locals. They threaten people who set foot on their land, try to change the local laws to make the area become what they left. Then they wonder why people don't like them.

My goal in wanting to retire near a lake in TN is to enjoy the beauty of the area, be warmer, make new friends, and live nearer a city. I can promise I will respect the natives and how they live, after all I am nothing but a PA hick from the Allegheny Plateau, I think I will fit in well. But then again the wealthy retirees my drive up the prices and I will never get the chance.

Two weeks until we make our visit to narrow our search, I'm excited.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:17 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
Wow, that's awesome! We visited back in May and I remember the anticipation...

Have a blast and keep us posted!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:46 PM

Smile Hope you find that lakeside home.

Hope you have a wonderful visit, as well, Deborah53. There are so many beautiful areas that we have been looking at in the Knoxville area, you will surely find one that fits you to a "T". Please keep the forum posted on your trip.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:32 AM

32 posts, read 82,456 times
Default Needed info too

We, too, are researching areas for retirement in a lake area. Watts Bar seems to be mentioned quite a bit but I read that there is a nuclear plant on this lake so we have crossed it off our list. Wondering if anyone has comments on this. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville