Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 03:31 PM

619 posts, read 1,605,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Well, what day of the week would they be coming in on? The Sevierville exit is known to be backed up for 20-30 miles on some weekends...

IF the 388 exit is still closed when they are coming through, you can always advise them to take the 387 exit (17th Street/Western Ave/UT), and jump up to Western Ave and take a right turn at Henley Street. It's really not a bad detour...less than a mile.

Other options would include taking the 'scenic way' taking I-140 towards Maryville/Alcoa (the airport exit - 376) and taking US 129, then TN 35 to US 321, and come through Townsend and coming into Gatlinburg (via the Little River Rd) the back way, through the park. It certainly isn't quick, but there is considerably less traffic (at least in my experience), and it would be a less stressful and more beautiful trip overall. I would advise them to print out maps of the area so they don't get lost!
Whenever my wife does drag me to Gaitlinburg, this is the way we go. I refuse to take I40 to Sevierville and go that way. Plus, i like the drive down Little River road.. nice and relaxing.. roll the windows down and listen to the water..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 12:38 AM

30 posts, read 92,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Sounds like 407 is their best bet. The construction will slow them down so they can pay attention to where they need to turn, but the directions look like if they get off there it's nearly a straight shot to where they're headed.

They're driving in on Tuesday and heading home on Saturday.

I live in Sevierville, and drive hwy66 (exit 407) daily. There is construction going on, but at least two lanes are open in both directions. Shouldn't be bad. Beware, the speed limit is 35 through the first construction zone heading south from the interstate, and Sevierville PD likes to patrol that area closely. I would recommend doing the speed limit. The second zone, the posted limit is 45. There is about a mile of road separating the two zones.

Driving on Tuesday won't be that bad either. Most people leave from here on Sunday, so that day backs up pretty good heading to the interstate. Saturday won't be too bad either.

Have fun, be safe.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 AM

199 posts, read 518,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

IF the 388 exit is still closed when they are coming through, you can always advise them to take the 387 exit (17th Street/Western Ave/UT), and jump up to Western Ave and take a right turn at Henley Street. It's really not a bad detour...less than a mile.
I was under the impression that the Henley Street Bridge is closed.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:45 AM

13,336 posts, read 39,721,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
It is.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/17913784-post5.html

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-21-2011, 10:46 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,266,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
Yikes. How long is it supposed to be closed?

I suppose Gay St. and Alcoa Hwy can serves as acceptable detours, but that sounds like a real pain!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:10 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,495,469 times
Now, now, y'all are making it much more complicated than it needs to be. TDOT has signposted the james white parkway as a 441 detour. Just follow the detour signs and the traffic and you'll find yourself on Chapman highway - 441.

The parkway is immediately east of downtown if you need your bearings. I'd choose that route over hwy 66 - especially if there is construction on 66.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:44 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,721,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Now, now, y'all are making it much more complicated than it needs to be. TDOT has signposted the james white parkway as a 441 detour. Just follow the detour signs and the traffic and you'll find yourself on Chapman highway - 441.

The parkway is immediately east of downtown if you need your bearings. I'd choose that route over hwy 66 - especially if there is construction on 66.
You're right. I drove it today and the detour was very, very well marked.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-21-2011, 09:15 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,266,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

I know...still makes it more difficult for UT students to get to Arby's or Hardee's, though, when they have their cravings.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:13 AM

469 posts, read 1,170,475 times
James white parkway is the official detour for Henley St. It is only 2 more miles past the Henley St. Exit and will take you basically the same route as using Henley St.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:36 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,495,469 times
I think you mean 1/2 mile east of the henley st. exit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville