Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:32 PM

74 posts, read 220,727 times

Advertisements

It would be great to have a web site in which people could find good recommendations on the good contractors,builders, developers, real estate agents, this forum would be a great place to start something like that. I am not talking about people just giving opinions without having worked with these professionals, so as to not have the webmaster worry about liability in any way. But simply letting the clients that use the services talk about there personal experiences with the above named professionals.just an idea. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 04:04 AM

93 posts, read 309,902 times
sthepoet, your idea is a good one. The problem is of liability and of getting any real truth from a service like that. If a client posts info on a particular realtor who's to say that info is even valid, maybe the client is the realtors brother? The worst realtors would milk the system to make themselves look good. If the client was legit and posted info that was harsh against the realtor, the realtor wouldn't let it be posted. The better business bureau handles the extreme cases.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:35 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,311,421 times
Well, I have recently heard of a new web site that does just what you are asking about. It is a womans name dot com......let me see if I can find it.

Found it! Welcome to Angie's List: The Best Source for Local Home Improvement Contractors!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:55 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Well, I have recently heard of a new web site that does just what you are asking about. It is a womans name dot com......let me see if I can find it.

Found it! Welcome to Angie's List: The Best Source for Local Home Improvement Contractors!
Wow, what a great website! Thanks, mbmouse. Just did a quick cruise through it and bookmarked it. You can even contact the webmaster by email or phone for additional help in finding just the right contractor or repair service for you.

This will be just the thing for many of us who are or will be new to the area. It is a great starting point, but you should still interview, compare and check out references.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,442,837 times
Oh well here you go on the price gouging thing. I know first hand of sub contractors who set different prices for work just because of the name of the subdivision or the type of auto you drive.!!! Many neighborhoods have areas with different price ranges, highend here so called starters there, the all mighty zip sometimes determine the cost. They also do there homework with the first conversation, to see how knowledgeable you are, they judge the personality of the person ect...beware!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:53 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,302 times
[quote=the painter;4134227]Oh well here you go on the price gouging thing. I know first hand of sub contractors who set different prices for work just because of the name of the subdivision or the type of auto you drive.!!! QUOTE]

Or where your from. I had a rock crusher guy go from $110/hour before meeting us in person (just talking to him on the phone about his fees) and find out when he arrives to do the work with all his equipment and stuff that he charges $200/hr. The man we origianally hired to do the smaller rock crushing work who refers this guy all the time says this man has never charged that much per hour before.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:32 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times
You are both so dead on, daniellefort and painter.

We have run into this practice in every state we have lived in, so I am pretty sure that it isn't a problem that folks run into only in Knoxville.

You just have to be a very savvy consumer and call them on it when you know what the going prices are. Do your research and get several quotes.

I have been known to go with the highest bidder on good recommendations because you do sometimes get what you pay for.

Our first remodeling project was a bathroom remodel that turned into a 16 week nightmare with a toilet sitting in my bedroom for all 16 weeks! Disconnected, of course. The contractor's helper used a chisel and hammer to remove the old shower stall tiles. He pounded the chisel right through the tiles, the plaster wall behind it and right into the water feed pipe for the shower.

I was outside at the time playing with my children. I could not believe my eyes when I saw a water geyser blowing out of my second story bathroom window into the front yard!! It took the "plumber"(?) 10 minutes to find the shut off valve in the basement.

I do learn from my mistakes. Don't choose the cheapest guy!! There may be a reason he is low-balling his price - and usually not a good reason.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
You are both so dead on, daniellefort and painter.

We have run into this practice in every state we have lived in, so I am pretty sure that it isn't a problem that folks run into only in Knoxville.

You just have to be a very savvy consumer and call them on it when you know what the going prices are. Do your research and get several quotes.

I have been known to go with the highest bidder on good recommendations because you do sometimes get what you pay for.

Our first remodeling project was a bathroom remodel that turned into a 16 week nightmare with a toilet sitting in my bedroom for all 16 weeks! Disconnected, of course. The contractor's helper used a chisel and hammer to remove the old shower stall tiles. He pounded the chisel right through the tiles, the plaster wall behind it and right into the water feed pipe for the shower.

I was outside at the time playing with my children. I could not believe my eyes when I saw a water geyser blowing out of my second story bathroom window into the front yard!! It took the "plumber"(?) 10 minutes to find the shut off valve in the basement.

I do learn from my mistakes. Don't choose the cheapest guy!! There may be a reason he is low-balling his price - and usually not a good reason.
I'm laughing and crying at the same time.

Did I mention that I have to move the washer and dryer connections as soon as we move in? We'll be looking for an electrician, at the very least. Good golly.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:31 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,311,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm laughing and crying at the same time.

Did I mention that I have to move the washer and dryer connections as soon as we move in? We'll be looking for an electrician, at the very least. Good golly.
psssttt....plumbers do that.....find one of those first.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:25 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
My husband will probably be able to do the plumbing part. We still have to look at it, though. But we know that we will have to get an electrician, no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville