U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 PM

105 posts, read 221,372 times

Advertisements

I will be in Knoxville, TN for my brother's graduation from UT next month.

I would love to take my daughter to the closest attractive beach by the Atlantic Ocean after the graduation.

Which nice beach by Atlantic Ocean is the closest to Knoxville?

I've been thinking about the beaches in Wilmington, NC; Myrtle Beach, SC; Isle of Palms near Charleston, SC; Hilton Head Island, SC; and Tybee Island near Savannah, GA.

I think Charleston is the closest one while I am uncertain about Tybee Island because areas outside Savannah tend to be very swampy.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 05:45 AM

3,351 posts, read 10,920,412 times
Why not go to your local AAA office and have them help you? Not only could they tell you what beach areas are nice, but could also plot the driving route for you.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 AM

345 posts, read 361,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourian11 View Post
I will be in Knoxville, TN for my brother's graduation from UT next month.

I would love to take my daughter to the closest attractive beach by the Atlantic Ocean after the graduation.

Which nice beach by Atlantic Ocean is the closest to Knoxville?

I've been thinking about the beaches in Wilmington, NC; Myrtle Beach, SC; Isle of Palms near Charleston, SC; Hilton Head Island, SC; and Tybee Island near Savannah, GA.

I think Charleston is the closest one while I am uncertain about Tybee Island because areas outside Savannah tend to be very swampy.

Any suggestions?
Just a suggestion....you can fly from Knoxville to Destin, for about $50 one way per person. Cheaper than driving. Rent a condo, have a cab take you there and rent bikes to get around. Cheap, fun and good exercise....

Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,329,798 times
None of the beaches are terribly close but one of the most direct and easy routes to a nice family oriented beach would be to head over to Emerald Isle or Atlantic Beach in NC. I've been in rented homes and condos there, but they also have hotels. That is the beginning of vacation season in the south so you may want to see if you can book something before you drive. There are several interesting places to explore within 20 miles of the beach as well.

To get there take I-40 past Raleigh until you almost get to the coast. If you'd rather go to a larger, more busy place by the ocean with tons of hotels and things to do, just stay on I-40 all the way to Wilmington.

Either way expect to spend about 9 hours in the car.

Here's a Google map of the directions to Emerald Isle:
Knoxville, TN to Emerald Isle, NC - Google Maps

Old 04-20-2011, 08:24 AM

610 posts, read 789,858 times
Shortest distance, wise are the beaches of South Carolina. Myrtle, Hilton Head, Charleston, Isle of Palms, Savannah. I've been to all but Savannah, and I like HH the best.
I do prefer the Gulf beaches, (Destin, Pensacola, Ft Walton) imo they're just prettier. But the low-country culture of SC beaches is really cool.
Definitely check into cheap flights, save time.
Jealous, take me with you!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 AM

592 posts, read 1,351,017 times
I'd hit Folly Beach, SC if I was you.

Is that advertising?

Old 04-20-2011, 12:16 PM

3,416 posts, read 3,929,347 times
Folly beach is my favorite beach because it still retains a bit of the hippie vibe. Plus you are convenient to Charleston for evening history walks.

If you have a place for rent mjb you can pm me!

I'm pretty sure the charleston beaches are the closest - and the quickest.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:23 PM

13,669 posts, read 7,212,208 times
Good heavens....Charleston, Isle of Palms, Folly Beach, haven't been there for over 40 years..... I wonder what has changed .....great choice for the beaches....

Old 04-20-2011, 08:52 PM

105 posts, read 221,372 times
Call me old-fashioned but I would rather drive all the way to the beach. I haven't travel much so it will be nice drive for me and my daugther.

I appreciate all the helpful comments. I'm leaning towards Charleston, SC. There are two popular beaches: Isle of Palms and Foley Beach.

I don't know which one is most popular but Isle of Palms looks like it's on a barrier island unless I am wrong. A barrier island beach seems more appealing to me!

Old 04-21-2011, 05:21 AM

396 posts, read 807,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourian11 View Post
Call me old-fashioned but I would rather drive all the way to the beach. I haven't travel much so it will be nice drive for me and my daugther.

I appreciate all the helpful comments. I'm leaning towards Charleston, SC. There are two popular beaches: Isle of Palms and Foley Beach.

I don't know which one is most popular but Isle of Palms looks like it's on a barrier island unless I am wrong. A barrier island beach seems more appealing to me!
I've been to Isle of Palms and it is beautiful. I've heard great things about Folley Beach as well. With their proximity to Charleston, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

LCG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville