Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:41 AM

157 posts, read 1,303,342 times

Advertisements

We are going thru the process of evaluating which area to move to. Part of the process is comparing weather in the areas we are looking in to.

Can anyone comment on Knoxville area weather compared to north western South Carolina?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 10:04 AM

157 posts, read 1,303,342 times
May have answered my own question, just found this site: Weatherbase - Records and Averages for United States of America seems to cover the question well except for humidity?

We were in Seneca, SC last week and found the humidity to be quite nice compared to Tampa Bay Florida where we live now.

Thank you.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:16 PM

93 posts, read 310,059 times
Hi itsme2,

You'll find the weather very similar for most of the year. The winters in TN can be much colder than in SC. This deep cold is generally from arctic air moving across the US from the nw to se. The Appalachian mountain chain acts as a barrier to dissipate the cold fronts so NW SC stays warmer.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,118 times
if you are looking for snow, dont move to either, I moved to hickory nc 2 years ago from connecticut and I thought I would never miss the cold and snow. well I Do. to me, hickory nc seems like it has just 2 seasons. summer and spring. even in the fall while the leaves are falling, it smellls like a connecticut spring and is warm like one. there is no crisp cool fresh smelling,chilly fall days to go to fall fairs and hay rides and pumpkin picking. it is like I did the things that I could find to do that are ''fallish'' by ct standards and like doing it in the spring. and in ct when the heat gets over 90 degrees the weather man will say that it is a heat wave, down here in the sun on my back porch it gets to 107-115 degrees, even though the tv weather man will say ''it will be in the mid 90's today(for example) the thermometer on my porch reads over 100 every single time. and it is a good thermometer from sharper image and well, it you are looking for cool weather do not move to nc. celebrating christmas holidays in 70 degree weather is just weird. but I guess if your coming from key west then it will be cool to you, good luck

Old 12-13-2007, 05:26 PM

190 posts, read 743,063 times
I just moved here from the Rock Hill, SC area and so far it's compatible. Although the weatherpeople here like to talk about snow flurries. I haven't seen any action yet though. I can't compare summers yet either, sorry. I guess I'm not much help.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:38 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john t View Post
Hi itsme2,

You'll find the weather very similar for most of the year. The winters in TN can be much colder than in SC. This deep cold is generally from arctic air moving across the US from the nw to se. The Appalachian mountain chain acts as a barrier to dissipate the cold fronts so NW SC stays warmer.
Actually, the winters in northwestern South Carolina are not much warmer than Knoxville. Perhaps two to four degrees warmer on average. Whereas Knoxville on occasion gets snow, not much the last few years, NW S.C. often gets ice instead.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 11,000 times
We are looking to move to Arkansas or Tennessee. Humidity is an issue. Would anyone have some insite on the humidity in either state and we do like a change or season. Need that crisp air and a little snow to set your clock by. Areas we are looking into, Fayetteville Ar & Knoxville TN

Old 02-07-2008, 04:04 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john t View Post
Hi itsme2,

Actually NW S.C. is not that much warmer than Knoxville, depending on how far into S.C. one goes, I used to work out of Greeneville, S.C., and the winters in NW S.C. are cold.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:00 PM

334 posts, read 625,994 times
that north west corner of SC , in fact that whole tristate corner of Ga. SC. and NC., is some of the nicest, most moderate climate on our planet. Wish I could live there. Only draw backs for me in SC is lots of poor people. I mean gut wrenching poor, strung out on drugs and booze with domestic violence free help clinics in every other stripmall. Heartbreaking also, not alot in the way of education has gone on there in like, ever. and there are 2 NUKE Power plants in that area. no thanks.
If these things don't bother you, you should take a trip . try to include the entire area around the lake, Seneca, lots of quaint bed and brkfasts in the area, we stayed at sunshine farm( I think that was the name), in Seneca. also try around Lake Lure, Bat Cave and Hendersonville NC, right up 26. and the Big Canoe area of N.E. Ga, also try the gainsville, lake lanier area, but stay away from the chcken farms Seeing one and their trucks switched us to cage free eggs and chicken , no... I'm not kidding. happy hunting, we love to do that!

Old 11-17-2011, 04:02 PM

334 posts, read 625,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Actually NW S.C. is not that much warmer than Knoxville, depending on how far into S.C. one goes, I used to work out of Greeneville, S.C., and the winters in NW S.C. are cold.

Serioulsey, you need to get out and see the world. The winters in NW SC are no where approching cold. try a chicago winter, or a plains winter, or Montana, or Penn. now thats cold. ROFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville