Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:03 AM

23 posts, read 49,590 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate and East Tn looks the best to me, but I am overwhelmed by all the possibilities. My family and I are planning a trip this summer to visit the Knoxville area for a week as a vacation and exploration of as many areas as we can see. We must be within 20 or 30 minutes drive to major hospital for employment. We want a good public high school, and I like the option of U of TN for college. I want to be near a radio controlled airplane club or buy enough land that I can fly in my own yard (if I can afford enough land). I see there is a nice R/C club just north of Farragut. Like to be within 30 minute drive to shopping/restaurants. Not sure if we will end up in a subdivision or in a rural area (I prefer rural, wife prefers sub, still working on a comprimise there). I'm tired of cookie-cutter houses, but options are open. I dream of having a ranch style home with either a 3 car garage or ability to have a pole barn or second garage on the property. I have read as many threads here as I could find, and thinking maybe Seymour, Farragut, Maryville, Strawberry Plains? Can someone explain the difference between some of these areas? We don't want to be too close to tourist areas. I'm guessing price range around $200K - $250K? For our visit are there any "must see" areas to get a taste of the local communities? I'd like to narrow down my choices so I can then contact a realtor to get an idea of what's available.
Appreciate any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:11 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,845 times
Seymour is right next to tourist hub Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, so depending where you lived there, you may get the brunt of the traffic from the tourists. Strawberry Plains is a good bet for the rural feel, but it's a little further out, maybe 20 minutes to a hospital.
Farragut land tends to be pricier, but it's definitely the 'burbs, not rural. If you looked north of I-40 off Campbell Station, you may find more rural areas, while being close to Farragut.
I don't know much about Maryville, but a lot of people on here will recommend it. With your price range for a ranch style home, you should have plenty of options.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 PM

394 posts, read 794,468 times
My 2 cents are West Knoxville, Oak Ridge or Maryville for existing suburban housing. Very different "feels" but all would seem to fit your general requirements. Definitely get with an real estate agent to show you around. See what feels right/good to you.

Lot's of other threads to read on this subject with a wealth of information.

Enjoy your visit and be sure to meet as many locals as you can. That's what sold us on Knoxville, the people.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:16 PM

Thank you both. I appreciate it. We are looking forward to the trip. I am planning on doing some tourist stops for this visit so my family doesn't get bored looking at towns and houses, probably make another visit on my own after that to do more in-depth searching. Any recommendations on a clean reasonably priced hotel?

Old 06-02-2011, 01:45 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,299,067 times
You really need to get in touch with a Realtor with your "wants & needs" and get them working on a list for your visit. Your want list is kind of convoluted, and you may have a hard time getting everything on your list to line up perfectly.

Do you know what hospital you will be working? There are several hospitals in the area, but they are in different areas.

The four areas you asked about are really not much alike at all. They each have a different feel, and the real estate prices can vary quite a bit between the four.

Prepare to do a lot of driving while you are here. There are tons of hotels in the area, but it really depends on what part of Knoxville you want to use as your base camp.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
There are far too many areas that fit your criteria to just pick a few. It sounds like you are in the very early stages and a family recon vacation will be perfect. It will give you a feel for the area. Then you can concentrate on seeing if you can land a job. Then I'd suggest getting a Realtor and exploring neighborhoods.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:17 PM

29 posts, read 56,067 times
Default You've gotten good advice here

You've gotten good advice here. The parameters you have specified are so broad and nebulous that you could spend a whole lot of time wandering. If you don't know where you are going, how will you know when you get there?

The Knoxville area contains all of the things in which you mentioned an interest. We are a small city with a lot of big city amenities. If we don't have what you want then we are 3 1/2 hours from Atlanta, 3 hours from Nashville, 1 hour from the mountains, and 7 hours to the ocean. We are also surrounded by 7 lakes. Knoxville really does have about anything you could want.

As for hospitals...we have 5? I think in the neighborhood. It is hard to tell which to count as separate because of recent mergers. I personally have been to 5 of them.

Come on down for a scouting trip. We have all of the major hotel chains so finding an inexpensive place to stay is as close as your computer. A visit to Knoxville.org might be in order.

Finally, Barking Spider was spot on. Find a real estate agent who you feel comfortable with and trust. You'll know after talking with him/her for about 5 minutes. Agents are professional house hunters and do it every day. They can take a lot of stress out of the process, especially if you are looking from far away and over the hill.

Welcome to the neighborhood....hope this helps.

Bob

Old 06-02-2011, 07:29 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevridge View Post
You've gotten good advice here. The parameters you have specified are so broad and nebulous that you could spend a whole lot of time wandering. If you don't know where you are going, how will you know when you get there?

As for hospitals...we have 5? I think in the neighborhood. It is hard to tell which to count as separate because of recent mergers.
Find your job first..., Then we can help find some of your other wants, needs and desires.....

Old 06-02-2011, 09:37 PM

I will be collecting a pension, wife is the one looking for health care employment. She is an experienced RN, specializing in pediatric oncology, so we will be looking for a hospital with an oncology unit, the bigger the better for opportunity. I'm relying on her to do the research into the hospitals in the area, but if any of you have tips, I welcome them.

Any ideas on high schools in the area? It sounds like Farragut schools are held in high regard (according to their website), but I haven't heard or read anything good or bad about the other area high schools.

I guess we will have to just try to drive through each town and make stops at the ones that look appealing for a snack & a beer.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:52 AM

Default more...

After reading more about Farragut, it sounds like some higher priced subs with homeowners associations etc, maybe some gated communities? Maybe too many rules and too close to neighbors, and maybe out of our budget as well. If we end up in a sub, need to have a good sized yard for privacy.

I don't want to have to worry that my neighbors will be annoyed by my loud motorcycle, or raise eyebrows if we want to target shoot off the back porch with a pellet gun.

I like the idea of having a couple acres with a modest house, but close enough to the city for entertainment, etc. but want to be in good school district.

Not sure if that narrows it down any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville