Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 PM

75 posts, read 139,628 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a few days in Knoxville and I must say.....WOW!!! I went down there with the intentions of just going to a concert at the coliseum and end up wanting to stay longer to explore the town.

I arrived Saturday evening, checked into the Holiday Inn on Henley St. The hotel itself could be another post in itself about how great it was. After checking in I decided to do dinner at the Downtown Grill & Brewery. What an amzing place. The waiter was more than willing to offer advice to an out of towner, not to mention great service. The food and atmosphere was more that I could of hoped for. That is a place I would spend a lot of time at if I lived there.

Sunday I ventured over to Old Town and had breakfast at Patrick Sullivans. The inside of the restaurant was one of the coolest places I've ever been in. The waiter offered some interesting history of the building which was very enjoyable. The breakfast was fantastic. After attending the concert at the coliseum, I dedided on Latitude 35 for a late night bite. This place has a really cool atmosphere. Again, I was extremely pleased with the food and service here. I had hoped to spend some more time wandering around Market Square, but a storm put a stop to that.

Monday I made my way back to Market Square and finally got to do some exploring of the square and Gay Street. Before I left town, I drove around UT's campus, went up in the Sunsphere, and walked through World's Fair Park.

Knoxville is the cleanest city I have ever been to. A very friendly, hospitable city. I was amazed by how many people I talked to that were transplants and who said they'll never leave Knoxville......I can see why. Just everything about the city I loved and I am not a city person by any means.

I am from southwest PA, about an hour south of Pittsburgh. I am always debating whether I should stay around here or move elsewhere. After visiting Knoxville, I could easily see myself moving down there.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,058,028 times
Yes! Yes! Yes!

We should make this post a sticky. We can label it "hiknapster is not lying!"

I become so excited when people see the city. Believe me, it barely resembled that six years ago. And they say that 10 years ago they would roll up the sidewalks at night.

Isn't it vibrant? Aren't the people amazing? And it doesn't feel like a city at all, more like an extremely hip Mayberry on steroids. But all ages are welcomed. Friday night I saw seniors partying in The Square Room and babies being pushed around by strollers in the square.

And you didn't even attend the Saturday morning Farmer's Market! That's like the happening event of the week.

On Sunday we were considering going to see Willie Nelson and it dawned on me that was probably the event you attended.

I'm glad you love our city. As you found out, it's great and we'd love to have you. And thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. Your reviews will help other people that visit our fine city.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:03 PM

I definitely need to come and spend more time there, it truly is one of my favorite, if not the favorite, city I've ever been to. In addition, any old abandoned buildings that you see are being renovated. It feels like a city that is moving in the right direction. You don't know how much I am considering moving there. I have always loved the south and felt like that is where I would feel the most comfortable. I have read on here, and heard from friends of mine who live in various parts of the south, that SOMETIMES northerners feel like they're not accepted in the south. Knoxville is such a melting pot of people with so many transplants that I don't feel like that would be an issue.

I would of loved to of went to the farmers market, I got into town too late. The cool thing about Market Square is you see every walk of life from college students, to families with their kids, to people with their pets, to elderly couples.

Plus the fact that I read Knoxville is the most pet-friendly city in America is a HUGE bonus for me.

Yes, it was the Willie Nelson concert that I came down for. What an awesome concert. I've never seen a concert where it was so fan-friendly. A lot of the artist were signing autographs and walking around outside the coliseum next to their buses where you could walk right up to them and shake their hands or snap a photo.

The weekend was just such and amazing experience. Like I said earlier, I came down just for the concert, but ended falling in love with the city. If I would of know this, I would of planned for more time down there.

Last edited by josh5629; 06-21-2011 at 01:58 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 01:31 PM

We had a country music venue in the area that I grew up in and I was the country music critic for the local daily. I got to meet a lot of country stars although I missed Willie Nelson because I was on vacation. They are some of the nicest folks you'll ever want to meet with the absolutely best musicians, most classically trained.

I'm glad you had fun.

I always felt like I belonged in The South, that somehow I was born in the wrong place and, incidentally, to probably the wrong parents.

I tell people I wasn't born in The South but I tried to get home as soon as I could.

I would look for a job, first. Bear in mind that you will probably not make as much money but the cost of living here is very low. Even things like auto insurance and electricity is much lower than most places.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I always felt like I belonged in The South, that somehow I was born in the wrong place and, incidentally, to probably the wrong parents.

I tell people I wasn't born in The South but I tried to get home as soon as I could.
Your the first person I've heard say that. I tell people the same thing all the time up here and they look at me like I have two heads. People ask me why I say that, I tell them it is a different lifestyle in the south. A slower paced more simple lifestyle. I don't like the fast paced lifestyle that this area is accustomed to.

I know there was a discussion on one of these boards about the politeness of the folks in the south. I agree with some of the posters that say it is the way you are raised, but I do have to say when I smile and say hi to someone in the south, they are much more likely to do the same. Around here you signal to let someone cross on foot in front of your vehicle and they stare at you the whole time they are passing by. I don't know, this is just my opinion, but I do feel that I am better suited to live in the south.

Thank for the advice on the cost of living. I did notice gas is 40 cents cheaper down there than it is up here.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:59 PM

I haven't been up north in 15 years. The other day I was writing to a family member on FB. His sons came on and I couldn't believe how rude they were, how filthy their mouths were. Those are my nephews. I use to change their diapers. Not only were they rude to me but also to their father and grandmother. And they were not brought up like that.

This happened yesterday morning and I am still not over it. I may never get over it.

I have adult children up there and I am now realizing it is the culture.

It is how you are raised. I can remember a relative handing me a birthday present when I was about five and I forgot to say, "thank you." You don't even want to know what happened.

But there is a culture up there that is incredibly different than the one down here.

A couple of weeks I told my cousin that I saw a recent picture of her daughter and that I thought she was so pretty. She said nothing. NOTHING. And she's a nice lady.

But after all these years, especially the past six in Knoxville I am starting to take this stuff for granted. My goodness, the people are rude up there. I wouldn't last five minutes. I'd hop in my car and turn around never to return. I often want to show my youngest child where I grew up but I think looking at pictures on the internet will suffice.

Friendly, talkative people like us do well here. If you've always yearned for a kinder, gentler way of life then this place is for you.

Last edited by hiknapster; 06-21-2011 at 02:38 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 02:14 PM

611 posts, read 1,452,838 times
Thanks for the post, josh. I'm glad you had such a good time in Knoxville, and I certainly hope you can make it back soon to continue exploring the city. Trips like yours are the most gratifying - you go in not necessarily expecting much, and when you leave you wish you could stay longer.

Knoxville is far from perfect, but then again, so is every other city in our country. I've been here for over five years now, and I won't be disappointed if I end up staying for the foreseeable future. I had plenty of misconceptions in my head when I moved here, but as your experience shows, sometimes all it takes is a quick visit to show what a city has to offer. I'm very optimistic about Knoxville's future: downtown is being revitalized, the university is only going to get stronger in the coming years, and while people keep moving here at a healthy rate, this has not affected the "overgrown town" vibe that makes the city so hospitable and approachable.

I'd be remiss if I didn't also mention the fact that East Tennessee is great for nature lovers. It's a beautiful part of the country, and when you're in Knoxville you never have to travel far to get back to nature. I'll be going out on the boat tonight, so I'm doing my part.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,346,170 times
Hi Josh,

I spent 11 years living in the Pittsburgh area. There are quite a few Pittsburgh people in the region for various reasons. Alcoa helps with some of the migration. Pittsburgh and Knoxville also has been home to Johnny Majors! At any rate, many folks from that area in SW PA do love it here. Many of us own Terrible Towel's and go to the Knoxville Ice Bears games in lieu of Penguins games. We also go to the Tennessee Smokies games, with its beautiful ballpark, and remember Pirates games fondly.

We don't have Eat N Park's here, we don't have Primanti's nor Iron City Beer but there are many other things here that make up for that!

Old 06-22-2011, 12:39 AM

23 posts, read 49,267 times
Josh, thanks for your post. My family is planning our first trip there, and I made note of the restaurants you mentioned and added them to our list to visit. Sounds like a great bunch of people there.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Thanks for the post, josh. I'm glad you had such a good time in Knoxville, and I certainly hope you can make it back soon to continue exploring the city. Trips like yours are the most gratifying - you go in not necessarily expecting much, and when you leave you wish you could stay longer.

Knoxville is far from perfect, but then again, so is every other city in our country. I've been here for over five years now, and I won't be disappointed if I end up staying for the foreseeable future. I had plenty of misconceptions in my head when I moved here, but as your experience shows, sometimes all it takes is a quick visit to show what a city has to offer. I'm very optimistic about Knoxville's future: downtown is being revitalized, the university is only going to get stronger in the coming years, and while people keep moving here at a healthy rate, this has not affected the "overgrown town" vibe that makes the city so hospitable and approachable.

I'd be remiss if I didn't also mention the fact that East Tennessee is great for nature lovers. It's a beautiful part of the country, and when you're in Knoxville you never have to travel far to get back to nature. I'll be going out on the boat tonight, so I'm doing my part.
That was definitely the best part of the trip was being blown away by the city.

Your comments on East Tennessee is so true. I was blessed enough to get to visit Gatlinburg and the Smokies about a year and a half ago. Becasue of this trip to Knoxville, my two most enjoyable vacations have been to East Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville