U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 AM

9,029 posts, read 21,226,545 times
Default Storm stories?

How is everyone doing after Tuesday night's storm? My street in North Knoxville (North Hills area) is still without power. Even many of those with power in my area don't have Internet access or cable because Comcast is out, at least around here. Knology was also out but came back on last night. Very strange.

This has been called the worst storm in Knoxville's history as far as electrical outages, something like 127,000 were without power at one point. I can't remember how many hundreds of trees were reported down, many across power lines. I know several homes in my neighborhood have been at least partially demolished because of fallen trees. My trees are still standing, but my back yard privacy fence was blown over. Even though I still don't have electricity, I consider myself lucky.

Anyway, I just wanted to see how everyone's doing.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 4,043 times
We were luckily un-scathed by the storm. Our neighbor's oak tree was not so fortunate. Half the tree landed on our front property missing our tree by a couple of feet. The other half is hanging on by a thread over their roof line. I explained to them they should get it removed ASAP for both our homes concern, they need a bucket truck to remove it. Back yard just had a few large limbs fall, no damage.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 AM

587 posts, read 852,755 times
I live on the far western edge of Knox County (not far from Lenoir City), so LCUB is actually responsible for fixing power outages in my neighborhood. We were without power from about 8:00pm till 1:30am, so while it was unfortunate, it wasn't that bad. There were no fallen trees in the immediate vicinity, but I almost hit one on the road near the roundabout at the intersection of Concord and Northshore - definitely a scary moment.

This year has really been a crazy one for weather. I swear the power gets knocked out once every other week…

Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 AM

21,643 posts, read 31,131,718 times
I guess you all figured out I was out...

The power came on at the house at about 4 p.m., yesterday.

No cable, internet or phone.

They say maybe tonight.

We are on a different KUB grid than our Comcast. So the rest of my street is out. I'm on with the next street. But my Comcast is sitting down the street on someone's lawn with the KUB wires. sigh.

Our area was slammed. I was the only one home and was terrified.

You know all those enormous trees we have? Yep. We lost one. But it didn't even make a noise and missed everything. Technically, it was not on my land. It fell right next to the pin. SCORE!

It's my evil neighbor's tree. The guy that hates Harvey.

Why? Because he says he's a bull mastiff and scary.

Anyway, the shop is fine. I know from Hurricane Charley that they always pull up essential services, then commercial, and then residential.

But I blew up the shop computer awhile back. There was a little incident with a glass of water... So now I have a brandy-new laptop.

Anyway, you asked for stories and I just love to tell a story.

I hope everyone is okay. I heard on the radio that two thunderstorms slammed into each other. I'm usually on top of these things but I never saw it coming.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 PM

23 posts, read 22,105 times
Hope you guys are all OK, no injuries. Property can be replaced, but not people!

Old 06-24-2011, 06:11 AM

22,396 posts, read 17,283,025 times
Default That Was Some Bleepin' Storm Last Night/Early This Morning

Re: Early Friday morning (6/24) storm

I was afraid to look out the window. Not used to the wind blowing torrential rain in that direction (straight at my bedroom and livingroom windows. Sounded like hail. Anybody have flooding? That's gotta be the biggie this morning. I'm thinking any remaining cicadas are doing the backstroke if it was this bad in Middle Tennessee. Lost power for about an hour and a half. Should be a lot of trees down.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:41 PM

I was up for that storm and it wasn't that bad in our area. Fortunately, nothing like Tuesday night for us. Sorry to hear that, Laura.

Yes, indeed. I haven't heard of any injuries, thank goodness. Then again, we haven't had news in days. They are now estimating Comcast will be up tomorrow. We are lucky we have power, though. Some people are still out!

Well, we are at Borders at Turkey Creek. Just wanted to check in and say, "Hey y'all, y'all!"

Old 06-24-2011, 05:33 PM

396 posts, read 789,893 times
We faired all right here in West Hills. A lot of trees and limbs came down. We lost power within a few minutes of the storm starting and our power was out until Wednesday evening. We had part of a neighbor's tree in our front yard and my other neighbor lost the corner of her house to one of her trees. Poor thing is retired and lives by herself so she was pretty shook up. Right after the storm all of us were out checking on each other, hugging and tarping up her roof. My neighbors in the back lost their car part and unfortunately, they are older and sick. Another neighbor ran extension cords to their house because they still don't have power as of today.

The storms last night were equally as frightening. We lost power again but it was back on by morning. I hope this is the end for a good long while but I think they are predicting more next week.

It still looks a bit like a war zone here.

The best part of course, is our great neighbors. We live on a nice little street with mostly older people and a few families. Many have been here for a long time and they make me feel like I've been here for a long time too.

LCG

Old 06-24-2011, 06:17 PM

Comcast is back up on our street. Somehow we managed to not kill each other. I already have my $20 credit put on the bill.

LilCabinGirl: We were over in West Hills today and saw a sign on someone's house that said, "No water. Thanks KUB."

It sounds like you live in a great neighborhood. I love that area.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:46 PM

106 posts, read 96,710 times
I've been so fortunate here in the Bearden/Rocky Hill area to continue to escape major damage from these storms. My little street has probably 15 or so houses and my neighbor and me were the only houses who didn't have a tree down in Tuesday's storm. Two friends are having to re-roof their brand new roofs (from the hail storm) due to trees falling on them Tuesday. We were on the football field at Bearden High School Tuesday just before the storm hit. Trying to get down Gleason Road to come home was the hardest driving I've ever done.

I've lived in East Tn my whole life and I don't ever remember a stronger weather year.

This weather is going to make me have a nervous breakdown, for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville