Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 02:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times

Advertisements

Good golly. She said she made a mistake. She didn't mean xenophobic. She thought it rhymed or something.

Religious? Yes. This is The Bible Belt. If you are coming from Atlanta and think you are escaping that in Knoxville you are sadly mistaken. I mean seriously. Moving to Knoxville would make someone think they escaped The South?

Having said that, I'm far from religious or conservative. In fact, I'm probably the antithesis of the typical resident. But I play well with others and don't get excited by the sight of a church.

And Knoxville is not The Deep South. It's a very "live and let live" sort of place where people don't get in your face about religion or politics. Believe me, I'm not the shy, retiring type and I wouldn't have stayed here.

Once again, I don't get "gritty." Knoxville is a charming, huge small town. It's restoration is beautiful. The guy that wrote that is in an area that is "gentrifying." A new resident that may have not seen a lot of Knoxville.

Dirty air? More like hazy due to sitting in a valley with two major highways running through it. It is only like that on very hot days.

I've been on this forum a long time. Whenever someone starts looking for "red flags" they are probably not a good candidate for relocation. I could be wrong but that's been my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 02:34 PM

610 posts, read 1,623,684 times
I would like the moderator to delete my original post. I do NOT believe Knoxville is xenophobic, I was told the word meant its literal opposite. Many apologies.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:14 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
A great place to live.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,890 times
Home sweet home to me.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
I would like the moderator to delete my original post. I do NOT believe Knoxville is xenophobic, I was told the word meant its literal opposite. Many apologies.
We can't go back and delete posts unless there was a violation of the Terms of Service. However, I hope people will read the entire thread and see that you absolutely did not mean that Knoxville is xenophobic.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 PM

79 posts, read 249,128 times
Okay - I think airen123 was trying to be clever by spelling out KNOX-L with her 5 words to describe the city, right? No worries!

So dirty air really means smoky as in The Great Smoky Mountains? Well that's just fine and dandy! I just don't want to live in a choked city like LA or NYC where you can literally see the filth in the air.

If the population in Knoxville is predominently religious, that's cool. Of course I realize that Tennessee is part of the Bible Belt. (I'm pretty sure Atlanta is the capital!) What I dislike is people trying to "convert" me.

When I first moved to ATL, my assistant would walk into my office and start reading passages from the Bible to me....seriously! I got random calls from local groups asking me to join their crusades, such as: get the smut off TV, keep the Lord's Prayer in school, etc. Even a very good friend, who recruited me up here, said "This is the Bible Belt honey, we've gotta get some religion in you."

Sorry if I insulted anybody by using the term "red flag". Peace!

Old 07-26-2011, 07:26 PM

186 posts, read 485,695 times
Let me take another stab at it.

Orange, greenery, hills, peace, seasons.

Do you like those better, hiknapster?

My property is in the eastern section of Powell, actually. Just minutes from Halls. On the very top of a hill.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1961 View Post
Let me take another stab at it.

Orange, greenery, hills, quiet, seasons.

Do you like those better, hiknapster?
I think your words were fine. Seriously.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:33 PM

186 posts, read 485,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I think your words were fine. Seriously.
I edited my post. Look again.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:43 PM

126 posts, read 246,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rundugrun View Post
Hot. Really Hot. And. Hilly.
This is a really funny thread. And this one is my favorite. Sort of like haiku.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville