Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 09:43 AM
pdq pdq started this thread

170 posts, read 527,184 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Ive read quite a few posts asking about asthma/respiratory problems in east TN. Seems the word is out and it's not good.

As other posters have said, if you have asthma and other respiratory problems, you might want to think about moving elsewhere. In 2004 and 2005, Knoxville was the #1 worst city in the whole United States. 2006 fell to 11th worst.

Regardless of where placed in the poor ranking it looks like conditions will not improve long term. What do we do about these terrible conditions?

At least theres 10 other places worst for a change. But I guess that also means there are thousands of better places to live.
Take care

Links to the data below.

http://aafa.org/pdfs/Asthma%20Capita...nal%20List.pdf (broken link)
http://aafa.org/pdfs/FINAL05asthmacapitals.pdf
http://aafa.org/pdfs/FinalPublicList_AC_2006.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 11:53 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times
Default Thanks for the links, pdq.

Thanks for the links, pdq. The one encouraging thing I saw in the 2006 data was that the estimated prevalence rate of asthma has improved to an "average" rating. (Cough, Cough). Let's hope that it continues to improve.

It's interesting to note for an adult asthma sufferer, that every city I have lived in with the exception of the town in N. PA where I was born and raised, is on that list. Makes one wonder - "Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?"

Old 08-12-2007, 12:34 PM
pdq pdq started this thread

170 posts, read 527,184 times
I don't see any real improvement long term. There are so many natural pollutants saturating the area. When combined with man-made pollution you have a perfect storm for poor air quality and respiratory problems.

I just wanted to share this with anyone considering moving here that may be susceptible to any respiratory problems.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:27 AM

340 posts, read 1,188,582 times
I have asthma. I know each person is unique, but mine is no worse/no better after moving here from south MS.

I've been here two years now.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:12 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times
I noticed the same thing, BarbG, with the exception of living in MI. It was very bad there for allergy sufferersm no matter what the symptoms. All of the molds, marshy grasses, etc. as a consequence of living in an area surrounded by water.

You just have to be aware of this possibility as pdq suggested and adjust for it - especially if it involves your little ones (smaller lungs, bigger problems!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: