Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:59 PM

24 posts, read 126,147 times

Advertisements

Hi - I am new to this forum! I was so glad to find it because we're moving from California (Orange County) to Knoxville and two neighborhoods have been highly recommended to us. One is Whittington Creek and the other is Gettysvue (I believe this is the correct spelling). They are both in West Knoxville in the Northshore area. We are leaning toward Whittington Creek because it has so many amenities. We don't golf so Gettysvue has less appeal. Does anybody know anything about Whittington Creek and the kind of people who live there? Any advice will be appreciated since we know so little about Knoxville and my husband will be taking a job there.

We have two small children, 2 and 4, so the amenities and schools are important to us. Thanks to all for any and all help!

And are there any other Californians out there who've relocated to Tennessee? Is it easy to make friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 10:25 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
I know both neighborhoods very well and both have their pro's and con's. Gettysvue has a tremendous amount of activities associated with and surrounding their golf course and clubhouse (very nice and adult related mostly). WC is more of a regular residential neighborhood that is upscale. A lot of the physicians I work with live in GV. I know people in marketing in Knoxville that live in WC. Both are very nice. WC is a bit more reasonably priced, imo. WC may have a few more families with children your age and GV is a bit more of the older crowd.

Let me know if I can help further. Welcome to TN!

Old 08-13-2007, 04:10 AM
pdq

170 posts, read 527,289 times
It really all depends on what you're looking for in a place to live. Gettyvue is more for old people. Whittington Creek is somewhat younger. Coming from Orange county these places aren't very interesting and are definitely not exciting. They are places that you can live. There are many other neighborhoods in Knoxville that may be better choices for you and your young family. I'm sure when the other realtors get on here and post, they'll offer up some good ideas. Good luck with your move.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:02 PM

Thank you both for your responses! We will be scratching Gettysvue. It seemed overpriced even to us coming from Cali. It looks like you get a lot for your money in WC, more than in the neighboring communities. SmokyMtnGal, what do you see as the cons in WC? And does anybody have other better recommendations? We have found that personal experience and opinions are so much more helpful than looking at things on screen or paper.

I'm not sure we are all that exciting anymore either. The most exciting part of our weekend was leading a search and rescue mission for a lost backyardigan, which took us all the way down to the toys r us. Most of the time we are just tired r us. That's what happens when you have your children when you are 40 so guess we are not all that young anymore either. Was that what you meant by Gettysvue old?

Thank you again for your replies. We welcome them all.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:12 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
[quote=FromTheOC;1274068] Was that what you meant by Gettysvue old?

That made me chuckle, too, FromTheOC, when I read pdq's comment about Gettyvue is for old people. (Just teasing a little, pdq. You must be under 40!) I guess my hubby and I should go check it out - or just check in.

Hope you find a neighborhood soon, FTOC. I agree that you tend to get better leads from the people who live in an area than you can reading the glossy brochures.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:35 AM
pdq

170 posts, read 527,289 times
Oh no, 40 is young, 50 is young, 60, 70, and 80 are young. Old is more of an attitude than an age number. Hence, Gettyvue is for old people.

There are so many posters here that are realtors. (clandestinely pitching their own projects) You should get some good ideas for neighborhoods.

Take care.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:48 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
SmokyMtnGal <~~~ not a realtor and don't even play one on TV

Old 08-15-2007, 12:54 PM

We are making progress but wow, does Knoxville have lots and lots of neighborhoods to choose from! We have scratched Kensington, the Racquet Club, Roefield Manor, Saddlebrook, Northshore Town Center (maybe I have that name wrong?) and Gettysvue (for fear of getting old before our time). Thanks, pdq, for setting us straight there.

For one reason or another, they were just not right for us. The idea of swim and soccer leagues, tennis lessons and walking trails really appeal to us about Whittington Creek. The WC volleyball courts have just about sealed it for my husband who is thinking he can play beach volleyball on Sundays without the beach. LOL. The people we met there on our last (my only) visit seemed very friendly and the homes were very well kept.

We are looking for an all brick home on a good sized lot on a cul-de-sac in a family-friendly neighborhood so if anybody has any other suggestions we would love to hear them. We have looked a little bit in Farragut but the commute would be longer and we are hoping to get away from that. We would like to be close to the Pellissippi (sp?) Freeway for easy access to the airport.

Some people my husband talked to didn't seem that enthusiastic about Whittington Creek but nobody will really tell us why. We would just chalk it up to difference of opinion but there is that nagging doubt.

Thanks to all who have taken the trouble to respond and to all who still might! The search continues.

Last edited by FromTheOC; 08-15-2007 at 01:07 PM..

Old 08-15-2007, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 10,157 times
Default Whittington Creek

Whittington Creek, is a great family friendly neighborhood, that is in a great location.
The only negative that I can think of is that is maybe to big!
Personally I like the neighborhood.

Don't pay the asking price of any home in their, even if it is new construction, everything is negotiable!

Good Luck,
Patricia

Old 08-15-2007, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 10,157 times
Whittington Creek?
I just remembered the Anthem is a great neighborhood houses are at a great price too!
Patricia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville