Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:33 AM

745 posts, read 1,719,329 times

Advertisements

Fwiw:

Dog Fancy magazine has named Knoxville most dog friendly city in Southeast

7:38 PM, Aug 3, 2011

Dog Fancy Magazine has named Knoxville the most dog friendly city in the Southeast.
According to a release, the magazine cites organizations like Knoxville's Most Pet Friendly Committee, which includes organizations like Young-Williams Animal Center, the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine and Pet Safe, as one of the reasons why the city is so friendly to dogs.
The organization hosts many dog friendly events including "Bark in the Park"
Dog Fancy Magazine said they are the most widely read dog magazine.

Dog Fancy magazine has named Knoxville most dog friendly city in Southeast | wbir.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 11:55 AM

84 posts, read 177,217 times
Really??? I think Knoxville is dog-friendly to a degree, but I don't think it is THE dog-friendliest city. We have a ways to go. Our favorite vacation spot is Charleston, and there are so many stores where you can take your pet to eat on patios, etc, and there is a doggie daycare pretty much a mile in every direction, and that is not including the groomers and vets. My husband is a veterinary assistant so I always pay attention to things like this, and I've told him if we were to ever relocate there, he would have a job in the blink of an eye.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:14 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Been downtown recently? You can take your dog in stores and on patios. There are many, many dog dishes throughout the area, too, for your dogs enjoyment on a hot summer day. We also have five dog parks, I believe, with another on the way.

Pet Friendliest Community | Home

City of Knoxville

City of Knoxville - DOGS ON PATIOS

We may not be the dog friendliest city in the country but for a city of this size we are pretty welcoming! Come downtown and see!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:03 AM

I actually did some freelance work for Knox Dog magazine as well as Doggie Aficionado so I know that we are getting better and there are a select few shops you can take your dogs in and restaurants that allow them on patios. My point is that we're just now getting the wave of pet sitters, doggie daycares, etc in the area. I will say we have very nice dog parks, but compared to other SE cities I've been too, I still think that we are lacking. And not that I would hear much about other states via our news channels, but Tenn. still has quite a few puppy mill busts. Not that that is a factor in the pet friendliest city. On the other hand, we haven't banned pit bulls yet either so there is something to be said for that.

And sadly, we only have one doggie bakery so far... Atlanta has a bajillion. Seriously. Of course Atlanta has a bajillion of everything, including people, stores, restaurants.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:31 PM

I know of three dog bakeries. And there also some people that sell dog treats at the downtown farmer's market. You'll definitely want to check out Market Square. It's doggie paradise!

Old 08-06-2011, 12:38 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
K & B Gourmet Pet Treats They are always at the Farmers Market. Petie loves their treats.
Love that pic Hik
Pam

Old 08-06-2011, 12:42 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Love that picture Hik!

I am with CaitlandRenee. I think Knoxville has come a long way with dog friendliness but I don't think that it is the most dog friendly city in the southeast. Of course, I am not big on any polls so this will just fall in line with that.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:45 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,855 times
I travel all across the country with my dog, including Knoxville, and I seek out dog places to visit in each city. I certainly would not consider Knoxville the most dog-friendly city in the southeast. It is, however, the most dog-friendly place I've been to in the state of Tennessee.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:18 AM

Okay, I give... who/where are the other two dog bakeries? The only one I am aware of is River Dog Bakery...

Old 08-07-2011, 11:18 AM

There's Dog Treat on Sutherland and KB Treats on Fox Lonas. She's also at all of the farmer's markets as are several others. There is also Paws, Etc in Sevierville.

You know, someone posted something nice about Knoxville. Clearly, it's a list and I don't really trust lists. But there is no denying that Knoxville has really become a dog mecca. Is it the most dog friendly in the southeast? Who the heck knows and I said that from the jump. But it is very dog friendly and it is far from a few places to take your dog to eat or a few groomers and kennels. Way far more than a mile in every direction. Pull up Google and check. There's tons. And if you haven't been downtown in the past summer, especially Market Square, you owe it to yourself to do. In fact, go on Saturdays for the farmer's market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville