Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 PM

570 posts, read 1,285,851 times

Advertisements

Thinking about relocating to the Knoxville Area and would like to rent before we purchase.
Are there any single story apartments in the Knoxville area?
Also is there any new construction of subdivisions going on ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 09:14 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,387,747 times
CONGRATS, yes, yes and yes. Plenty to choose from and all depends on your price range. Several new subs in process and just need a little more information?

Old 09-30-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw
Thinking about relocating to the Knoxville Area and would like to rent before we purchase. Are there any single story apartments in the Knoxville area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanbob View Post
CONGRATS, yes, yes and yes. Plenty to choose from and all depends on your price range. Several new subs in process and just need a little more information?
Would like to rent a 2-3 bedroom /2 bath for not more than $1800 per month with a flexable lease so we could move when we find a house to purchase.
Which side of town is the best to purchase?

Old 10-01-2011, 07:10 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
You should have no trouble finding a place. The best side of town for you depends on way too many things, since either side is good. Pick the side that best fits your needs as far as close to work, or close to the shopping areas you frequent.

Last edited by Beretta; 10-01-2011 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: please do not mention realtors

Old 10-01-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
You should have no trouble finding a place. The best side of town for you depends on way too many things, since either side is good. Pick the side that best fits your needs as far as close to work, or close to the shopping areas you frequent.
We don't work. We are both retired. No children, so schools aren't an issue. We aren't big shoppers, so shopping convenience is not an issue either.
The most important part is to find a 'safe' neighborhood with a nice appearance that will not go down in value with time.

We want to get out of Texas (too hot here).
We are also looking into moving to Huntsville/Decatur Al or Mt Juliet/Henderson Tn as well.
How does Knoxville compare with those cities as far as house prices and availability go? *
* I will probably post the above question in a new thread later ?

Last edited by Beretta; 10-01-2011 at 08:47 PM..

Old 10-01-2011, 12:55 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
You can find safe neighborhoods in all parts of Knoxville. The part about value not going down is kind of the big question mark these days. While I'm no expert on real estate, I don't think any area of Knoxville has dropped in value (with the exception of the results from the general economic recession).

I don't have the slightest idea how Knoxville compares with those other two areas. Seems like trying to compare apples and oranges. Sales tax in Knoxville is pretty high, and probably much higher than AL.

Maybe its just me, but I picked a new place to live on how I liked the area, not by comparing housing costs in different cities.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Maybe its just me, but I picked a new place to live on how I liked the area, not by comparing housing costs in different cities.
Of course you're right about that.
Comparing housing cost is only one aspect of many that we are looking into. After all, no matter how much a city has to offer, if we feel we can't find an affordable priced house we like, then it would be frustrating to move there.
Quote:
I don't have the slightest idea how Knoxville compares with those other two areas. Seems like trying to compare apples and oranges. Sales tax in Knoxville is pretty high, and probably much higher than AL.
We actually lived in the Huntsville/Decatur area many years ago.
We liked it very much except for the high frequency of Tornado type weather. I realize Knoxville is not immuned to Tornados but the climate seems to be a little better in Knoxville and much better in general than North Alabama or even Nashville.
Quote:
The part about value not going down is kind of the big question mark these days. While I'm no expert on real estate, I don't think any area of Knoxville has dropped in value (with the exception of the results from the general economic recession).
I wasn't referring to the "economic recession" as the cause of "going down in value". What I meant was ... sometimes a subdivision/neighborhood starts out looking good nice and neat and then a few years down the road, as the original owners move out and the houses become rental property or the owners just don't care anymore. Yards begin to look unkept with weeds, houses need repair or need painting. Cars parked up on the front lawns etc etc. Just generally "run-down". And because of that aspect... neighborhoods begin to go "down in value", which of course affects the house value and the pride one has in their neighborhood.
It seems some subdivisions/neighborhoos are more prone to that than others. Some stay looking good no mater how old they are and others look bad 10-15 years later.

Quote:
You can find safe neighborhoods in all parts of Knoxville.
I feel that answer is being very evasive, and not really answering my question.
Yes... I'm sure there are some "safe areas" and some "not so safe" in "all parts of Knoxville", but most everyone has opinions of where they think it is safer to be (as in shopping, etc), but not where they would want to live.
For example ....are you saying Knoxville does not have a Ghetto type area to avoid when "house hunting"? Or no areas where there is known Drug deals going on?
That's pretty amazing !!!
But thanks anyway..... at least you replied back to my post and tried to help.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:03 AM

82 posts, read 200,655 times
If you want a newer house and don't care about having a lot of convenient shopping, there are some nice newer subdivisions in Halls and Powell. It's not like there's no shopping there either, but it isn't the truly staggering amount that's in West Knoxville and there's less development in general, so you avoid a lot of the traffic headache while still living in a very very safe area. Anything in particular that you do want to be close to?

Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahavisnu View Post
If you want a newer house and don't care about having a lot of convenient shopping, there are some nice newer subdivisions in Halls and Powell. It's not like there's no shopping there either, but it isn't the truly staggering amount that's in West Knoxville and there's less development in general, so you avoid a lot of the traffic headache while still living in a very very safe area. Anything in particular that you do want to be close to?
Thanks mahavisnu, ...We will definately be taking a closer look at the Powell area. It sounds nice.
We live in San Antonio (pop 1,373,668+) so I am very accustomed to driving accross town (25-30 miles) if I want to shop at stores in different locations then my neck of the woods. The larger name stores all have locations all over San Antonio and sometimes will be out of stock with a certain item I'm looking for, so I head to another location.
About the only thing that is nice to have convenient is a Grocery store and that doesn't necessarly need to be a 'stones throw away'.

I guess that's way when someone asks "what do you want to be close to?" I get a puzzled feeling, because moving from an area the size of the San Antonio area to the Knoxville area (so much smaller in comparison) very few things will seem that far away to me. And even if it is several miles,... I'm sure the traffic involved getting from one point to another will be a piece of cake compared to San Antonio.
Because of the heavy traffic here, it takes twice as long to get somewhere that isn't that far away in miles.
And...I realize there are certain major roads there in Knoxville that are crowded at certain times of the day. But here in SA, almost every street and road is always busy.

By the way.... we ARE planning a trip there in the next few months to look around.
I would never even dream of selecting a house or an area, without making a visit first to check it out (as some have incorrectly assumed) That would be insane!
However, any prelimanary information and guidence, ahead of our visit, will be much appreciated

I'm only seeking suggestions and opinions here,..... that's all.

BTW #2 ......Still wondering if there are any single-story Rentals in the Knoxville area???

Thank you again mahavisnu, for your suggestion.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
BTW #2 ......Still wondering if there are any single-story Rentals in the Knoxville area???

That question was answered in the affirmative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville