Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 09:09 AM

179 posts, read 547,822 times

Advertisements

Hey all, now that I'm settled in I really need to get the ball rolling on some things.

I handmake cards, mosaics, and other misc. craft objects and I'm looking for craft shows to sell my creations in Knoxville. I don't care about the venue, be it church, school gym, expo, etc. as long as there is good traffic (and preferably established and well known in the community). I'm looking for primarily around Knoxville, and small ones are ok as I've never actually done one before so I'm not ready to tackle a huge show. I'm in west Knoxville and would be willing to drive up to an hour (maybe even to Chattanooga if the must-go show was there).

With Christmas coming I've got to get going! Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 11:22 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I would highly suggest setting up a booth for Saturday mornings at the downtown farmer's market. The Turkey Creek Public Market is also popular. Lots of people use Etsy, around here. And I know of at least one group that gets together. If you start showing down at Market Square on Saturdays you will get hooked into that group.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:59 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
I was going to suggest Turkey Creek Public Market too. I don't know this for sure, but I think they must require vendors to get a business license to sell there. I only say this because I saw a ton of business licenses in the Knoxville business Journal the other day, and they all had the Public Market address. I understand the booth rental is somewhat pricy, so you better have a lot to sell.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:13 PM

Yes. You have to get a business license because you collect tax. The license is very, very inexpensive. A craft booth rents for $20 a day or $50 a weekend. I believe this is for the outside space. Nor sure, though. Become a Vendor & Vendor Information | Turkey Creek Public Market

Old 10-04-2011, 07:53 PM

179 posts, read 547,822 times
I have a biz license in MI, not sure how that translates to here, assuming I need to reapply with the state of TN? What a hassle. I think it's a racket lol!

Thanks for your ideas, also if anyone else sees this post and is curious I found a website called Art and Craft Shows, Music Festivals, Art Fairs & other events in Tennessee it describes all types of festivals and whether they accept craft and/or food vendors.

I definitely want to check out downtown, although wondering if it's silly because it's almost the end of the season...and they give 'strong preference' to products for kitchen/garden and/or recycled materials. (Darn it, of course none of my stuff falls in that category! )

Old 10-04-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl14256 View Post
I have a biz license in MI, not sure how that translates to here, assuming I need to reapply with the state of TN? What a hassle. I think it's a racket lol!

Thanks for your ideas, also if anyone else sees this post and is curious I found a website called Art and Craft Shows, Music Festivals, Art Fairs & other events in Tennessee it describes all types of festivals and whether they accept craft and/or food vendors.

I definitely want to check out downtown, although wondering if it's silly because it's almost the end of the season...and they give 'strong preference' to products for kitchen/garden and/or recycled materials. (Darn it, of course none of my stuff falls in that category! )
A business license costs $15 and minutes to apply. I own a business in the city so I pay for a city and county license. $30. Not a lot. Out at the Turkey Creek market it will probably just be for the county. You'll also get your tax ID number from the state. Yes, of course you would apply through the state of TN. When you sell something you have to charge sales tax and then pass it onto the county. The same would happen in MI. Not really a racket.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:54 AM

135 posts, read 293,336 times
You could always call several shops in Gatlinburg and see if they would sell your crafts since Gatlinburg is known for arts and crafts. Tell them how much you want it sold for.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:21 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
That is just what I was going to say, the stores in Gatlinburg want to sell locally made items. I would try some of the gift shops on the Parkway, and some of the artisan shops on Glades Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville