Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:02 AM

24 posts, read 51,785 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband was transferred to Knoxville 3 weeks ago. He is extremely excited since he is a UT fan. Me on the other hand, well lets just say we are a split household for colleges lol

Anyway, he looked at a condo today in The Meadows off Gleason Road. He assures me I am going to love it and has completed the necessary apps and such.. It is only 5 miles from his office so that is a big plus.

Can someone tell me if this is a good area? What is the complex like etc? I hope they are nice or he may be living there alone lol I am not familiar with Knoxville at all.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 04:36 AM

394 posts, read 794,558 times
It's in a good area. You'll be able to walk to West Town Mall if you want. Closest supermarket is Food City about a mile away on Morrel Rd.

This link: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed shows several units on the market. Lot's of unit pictures in the listings should give you a feel for the complex.

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 06:33 AM..

Old 10-07-2011, 01:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Just want to back up what Dave wrote so you don't think it's one voice singing in the wilderness.

It's a good area. Very central. I do want to point out that the Food City is a bit closer than that and is about a 2 minute ride. There is also a Walmart Super Center and Sam's a bit further. And we have Kroger's and Publix, Costco, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are on their way. Earth Fare and Fresh Market are over in Bearden near a certain auto repair shop. Less than 10 minutes away. The mall is a very good one.

Most importantly, Neyland Stadium - home of the best college team on earth - is about 15 minutes from your new condo.

In all seriousness, welcome to Knoxville. If you love it half as much as I do, you'll be okay.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:36 AM

Thanks for your replies. I have never heard of any of these stores except Krogers and Publix. I am really going to miss our Bi-Lo and Lowes. I guess the shopping will be a new adventure!

Dave, I appreciate the link. The pictures I saw of the condo we applied for were very minimal. I am very uncomfortable letting my better half pick a home for me LOL I am a house person but since the size of the 3 bdrm condo is equivalent to a house, it can't be TOO bad (I hope)

My next step when I get there will be to scout out local yarn stores so I can begin to meet people who enjoy knitting and crocheting. I won't be working so I am going to NEED adult conversation other than ... honey where is the remote and shhhhh the football game is on! lol

Old 10-08-2011, 11:48 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Mimi- View Post
Thanks for your replies. I have never heard of any of these stores except Krogers and Publix. I am really going to miss our Bi-Lo and Lowes. I guess the shopping will be a new adventure!

Dave, I appreciate the link. The pictures I saw of the condo we applied for were very minimal. I am very uncomfortable letting my better half pick a home for me LOL I am a house person but since the size of the 3 bdrm condo is equivalent to a house, it can't be TOO bad (I hope)

My next step when I get there will be to scout out local yarn stores so I can begin to meet people who enjoy knitting and crocheting. I won't be working so I am going to NEED adult conversation other than ... honey where is the remote and shhhhh the football game is on! lol
You are going to miss Lowes? Why? There is one less than 10 minutes from your new home and several more just beyond.

Bi-Lo? Meh. We use to have them. We have even better.

Yarn? You have tons of yarn around you starting with The Yarn Haven, Loopville, Michael's and so much more.

Click on the link below. Click on "Search Nearby" and put in anything you are looking for, like "yarn."

7914 Gleason Dr, Knoxville, TN 37919 - Google Maps

I get the feeling you might be moving into a city with a lot more to offer than you are use to.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:40 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
There is also a great yarn store, I think it is called The Knitting Nest but don't quote me, in Maryville.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:30 PM

394 posts, read 794,558 times
You will probably find any and everything you could want or need in the Knoxville area. Plus I think you'll find the vast majority of people are really nice.

The only thing I miss from the DC area is having a large number of knowlegable oriental rug dealers.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:21 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,536 times
I live in that area and love it. Everything I need is 10 minutes or less away and it is safe! Look me up when you get here and we will have adult conversations!!!

Old 10-08-2011, 08:21 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Mimi- View Post

Welcome to the area, Mimi! I've driven around and through the streets of the area where you will be living many times on my way to shopping and visiting with friends and think it's pretty nice and quite safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You are going to miss Lowes? Why? There is one less than 10 minutes from your new home and several more just beyond.

Sorry Hik, not so. She doesn't mean the Home Depot equivalent. The closest Lowes Food store is on the other side of the Smokies in NC. Lowes is a pretty nice store, Mimi, and you'll miss what you were used to at first but Knox has a lot of really good stores to choose from and you'll find new favorites pretty quickly

I get the feeling you might be moving into a city with a lot more to offer than you are use to. Very true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
There is also a great yarn store, I think it is called The Knitting Nest but don't quote me, in Maryville.
Thanks for bringing it up, Berretta. I keep meaning to go check it out since I have heard nothing but praise from so many people who have been there. I'm just not much of a knitter but do like to crochet in the winter. It's nice to have project that keeps you warm.

The Knitting Nest

Old 10-08-2011, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the info about the yarn stores. I knit although slowly. I crochet but I can't read a pattern lol I enjoy both because I make baby items to donate to various hospitals and charities in need. I like to feel I am doing SOMETHING with my time. I went from being a workaholic to disabled so the transition has been pretty tough for me. I read when I am not doing something "productive".

We are currently in Charlotte. We have only been here a few months because my husband came here to help start up a business with a friend. He was homesick for TN so he went back to his former employer and he is now in Knoxville. I really like Charlotte for the HUGE variety of shopping. I don't like the traffic though!

We are originally from Tennessee. He was born and raised in Smyrna (just outside Nashville). I lived there for 24 years. My grown children still live there *sigh* This is his first time living outside of Smyrna so its interesting to watch him realize there is another world out there I hate to say it but I am a yankee at heart. I grew up in New Jersey before moving to the coal mining towns of SE Kentucky when I was in high school. I left there when I went to college on an athletics scholarship at UK (manyyyy years ago). Ok ok, not THAT many lol Hence, our household divided when it comes to colleges.

The reason I will miss our new super Bi-Lo and Lowes Food is because #1 they match coupons up to $1 and once a month double all coupons (every little bit helps) and #2 I can't beat the quality of products for the prices around here. I guess its back to Kroger I go until I check out the other stores that have been mentioned.

AGA, I will definitely take you up on that!!

Sorry for the rambling, just thought I would tell a little bit about us. I am looking forward to seeing what Knoxville has to offer. I better like it because I told him I was NOT moving again lol I just hate moving somewhere when I don't know anyone. On the positive side, I do kind of miss the mountains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville