Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:48 PM

160 posts, read 303,438 times

Advertisements

Thank you! That second link is excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 10:40 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I don't think any of those will help. Google maps often shows the neighborhoods if you plug in Knoxville, TN. You can also simply Google the names such as Holston Hills, Knoxville TN and you will get a map somewhere on the page. Click on the map and it will come to life.

For instance: fourth and gill, knoxville, tn - Google Search

Click on the map: fourth and gill, knoxville, tn - Google Maps

Some of them don't come up with maps but they will give you tons of info and you will be able to find it from there.

My apologies. I didn't see Em's link until after I posted. However, my method will garner you more information on the neighborhoods. Whatever works for you!

Last edited by hiknapster; 10-11-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 10-16-2011, 07:09 PM

6 posts, read 17,643 times
thanks for your advice everyone. We are planning another trip down there soon to look around. I'm excited for the move, Knoxville seems like a nice city. I am sure the weather will take getting used to though, I am a Northern girl and I love my snow...haha

Old 10-19-2011, 11:58 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
For Lindbergh forest - look up Druid drive and streets nearby. No victorians but there are a few nice victorians on Woodlawn pike just outside the neighborhood. You might also check out Island Home blvd. Although it is too new for victorians, there are nice Craftsmans and tudors.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:22 AM

343 posts, read 1,045,928 times
Also possibly moving to the area, so this has been a helpful thread. Any advice on surrounding smaller towns? We're looking for purchase a home with land, 10 acres at the least.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:54 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
A home with 10 acres is pretty easy to find. However, there are tons of other qualifiers that may make it harder. A LOT more information is needed..
1. Price range
2. Do you need/have jobs?
3. Proximity to hospitals. schools, airport, shopping, etc.
4. Level land, in the mountains, on the water, etc.
5. How small of a town are you willing to live in (there is a whole other topic there)?

As I have said before, trying to find a home on the internet, without first hand knowledge of the immediate area is foolhardy. All small towns are not Mayberry.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
A home with 10 acres is pretty easy to find. However, there are tons of other qualifiers that may make it harder. A LOT more information is needed..
1. Price range
2. Do you need/have jobs?
3. Proximity to hospitals. schools, airport, shopping, etc.
4. Level land, in the mountains, on the water, etc.
5. How small of a town are you willing to live in (there is a whole other topic there)?

As I have said before, trying to find a home on the internet, without first hand knowledge of the immediate area is foolhardy. All small towns are not Mayberry.
Yeah, understandable. I know all about the false Mayberrys. I grew up in a very small (pop 1000) town that was definitely anything but Mayberry. My wife is in health care, so within 30-35 minutes to UT Medical Center. Probably trying to keep the price under $600k. Mountains, Level land, doesn't matter. Not trying to be on the water. We're supposed to be coming up in a couple of weeks to look around but I'd thought I'd see if I can give the realtor some direction.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:22 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
There are lots of places that might meet your needs. I'll let others tell you about their areas and places near UT or Knoxville. I live outside of Maryville (south of UT) in Blount County. Depending on what part of the county you pick the drive to UT will be somewhere between 15-45 minutes for many of the more rural parts of the county outside of the Maryville city limits. Maryville is called a city but really is a small town.

To give you an idea what is available you could use the public access MLS listings and enter your criteria. I did so for the southern portions of Blount County and came up with a page of possibilities: Search Results

Choices 4 and 6 would be the easiest commutes at about 25 minutes without traffic. The rest would be longer by 5-15 minutes.

Another area south of UT (but north of Maryville) and still in Blount County would be Louisville. Several friends live there on larger properties and love the convenience to everything but the very private nature of the area. Depending on the part you are in the commute could be as little as 15 minutes and as long as 35 minutes. I did the same kind of search and came up with the following: Search Results

Continuing with the Blount county area you could also check out Friendsville, which is quite open (with lots of farms), but only small parts would be within the commute time you mentioned. Another C-D member lives in Alcoa and might have some recommendations for there. The homes of people I know there have been on smaller properties of a couple of acres or less but there are farms and larger acreage around.

Google maps will be a big plus for your search since much of the area has been done for "street view" and it will give you a chance to look around before you get here. Nothing will replace a few days on the ground looking around to find the right town and then the side of the town you want to live in. It made a big difference to be able to tell our agent what it was we liked and didn't like as soon as we had a general idea. Once we did that it was easy to line up all the homes we might like.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:24 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Don't forget good old south knox county - there's one on tipton station road with 32 acres for $485K and an interesting house on 9 acres at the end of Appleby ridge way for 399K.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:54 PM

Great, thanks for the help. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville