Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 01:36 AM

37,739 posts, read 40,793,232 times

Advertisements

Went to the Battle of Fort Sanders today which was great but that's not why I'm posting this. I drove through Corryton from Knoxville. What a pretty and fairly rural place and only about 12 miles (and a straight run) from the Knoxville Center Mall! When people are looking for "rural" but not too far from Knoxville, you should check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 08:15 AM

23 posts, read 49,259 times
Thanks, Laura. Adding that one to my list!

Old 10-10-2011, 02:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,050,533 times
There are a lot of cute rural areas like that. Some a lot nicer, even.

It is 30 minutes from about the center to downtown Knoxville or 40 to 45 to West Knoxville if you have to work there. One of the big advantages to Corryton is it is still the Knox County school system which is far better than a lot of Tennessee systems and most rural areas.

But you can also get rural and still be a bit closer to town, too. The center core of the city is quite small and Knox County involves far more than the sprawl of West Knoxville and some other busier areas.

Knoxville is not very "citified" like a lot of people assume. It's more like a very large town.

One interesting fact is that the Corryton kids go to Gibbs High which is where Kenny Chesney attended.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There are a lot of cute rural areas like that. Some a lot nicer, even.

It is 30 minutes from about the center to downtown Knoxville or 40 to 45 to West Knoxville if you have to work there. One of the big advantages to Corryton is it is still the Knox County school system which is far better than a lot of Tennessee systems and most rural areas.

But you can also get rural and still be a bit closer to town, too. The center core of the city is quite small and Knox County involves far more than the sprawl of West Knoxville and some other busier areas.

Knoxville is not very "citified" like a lot of people assume. It's more like a very large town.

One interesting fact is that the Corryton kids go to Gibbs High which is where Kenny Chesney attended.
Well, the thing about it being 12 miles from the Knoxville Center Mall is that I-640 comes in there so you drive from Corryton on one road all the way to the Knoxville Center Mall (where Target is - that's where you turn for the mall and I-640) then hop on I-640. The only thing I don't know is whether during morning and afternoon drive if that road from Knoxville to Corryton is jammed. I was on it on a Sunday.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,050,533 times
I have a lot of friends that live in Corryton for some reason. It's a commute. Not impossible, mind you, and if you grew up there then it is something you are use to. I live just north of I-640 and take that highway all the time. In fact, I use to work off of Asheville Highway so I was aware of that when taking into my account of driving time.

LauraC, it recently occurred to me that you are use to NYC and DC. I should take you to downtown Knoxville sometime. I think you'd be surprised. If you've ever had to go to West Knoxville then you have seen the sprawl. The downtown area is not like that.

If you ever get a chance, I've driven through Blaine, Grainger County and up to Rogersville. What a beautiful area that is!

Old 10-15-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I have a lot of friends that live in Corryton for some reason. It's a commute. Not impossible, mind you, and if you grew up there then it is something you are use to. I live just north of I-640 and take that highway all the time. In fact, I use to work off of Asheville Highway so I was aware of that when taking into my account of driving time.

LauraC, it recently occurred to me that you are use to NYC and DC. I should take you to downtown Knoxville sometime. I think you'd be surprised. If you've ever had to go to West Knoxville then you have seen the sprawl. The downtown area is not like that.

If you ever get a chance, I've driven through Blaine, Grainger County and up to Rogersville. What a beautiful area that is!
Was that a tomato run?

The people in Corryton mentioned Blaine to me when I asked what the next town was. I've been to Maynardsville a few times but didn't come through Knoxville. I go to Maynardsville through Norris and Andersonville via 61.

Never drove in DC or Manhattan. Not fond of any city/town with a population over about 35,000. When I lived in Maryland and NY, my towns were smaller than Oak Ridge, population-wise. The last place I lived in NY had a population of 11,000 when I lived there and the place in Maryland had a population of 24,000. OR doesn't seem crowded because the population is spread over such a large land area. I've been here about 4.5 years now and have never been to downtown Knoxville although I have driven in downtown Chattanooga (last year) and downtown Memphis (90s) and I have been to Nashville even if I wasn't the one driving. Appreciate the offer, though.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:53 AM

619 posts, read 1,605,412 times
We drove thru there yesterday. Went to Oakes Farm corn maze and got some pumpkins. On the way back home to west Knoxville, we drove through and looked at some houses for sale. Trying to buy our first house and that area is on our list, as well as Fountain City..and Powell for that matter. Very nice area..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville