Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:02 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,287,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeb2 View Post
not knowing if the biker coming out of the corner at criminal speed was in control I had seconds or less to stay the course or get out of the way when all was said and done I crashed into another biker and Im at fault because the cop at the scene didnt confiscate the go-pro witch proves the speeder was terrorizing and criminally culpable I totaled my Duc and myself and the other vbike i hit went to the icu and im looking at tens of thousands of dollars of law suits. I love going fast but not on public roadways I was going 30 mph and trying to enjoy a casual ride on 129, now2 im f**ked .closed days for track runs would be ideal and recommended. I could use a good lawyer
Isn't that why you have insurance???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 08:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Easiest way to "tame the dragon" is to do the following.

1) Close the road to 18 wheelers.
2) Assign troopers to cruise the road at the posted speed limit.

I understand the "thrill" people get from such an interesting road HOWEVER it isn't a playground. As some other posters have suggested this type of driving should be done on a private closed course.
How about banning motorcycles and sports cars. They (The ones driven by idiots that think they are good enough to push the limit, and aren't) are the problem.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:40 AM

79 posts, read 121,085 times
I ride a bike and a sports car on this road quite a bit but it is not my favorite due to the traffic and it is by no means the curviest or most challenging to ride due to the curves and pitch. For the most part 30mph is about right in the corners and it is hard to do that in some that are very tight. There are two sides to this so i will give my feelings to each camp.

To those wanting to go very fast I say it is not your right to endanger others. If you want to hurt yourself go to a less crowded place. You can drive the road with spirit and enjoy a few well carved turns without becoming a problem to others. I am glad we have some law enforcement presence to cull out the openly insane.

To the other more conservative camp that touts the law. I say get a GPS transponder and make sure you are signed up for auto tickets. You will pay a fine for every rolling stop, and 1/2 mile over the speed limit. Touch a double yellow and pay up. Swear before God you have never "broken the Law" and if you have that makes you a criminal right?

I am fully in support of reasonable law enforcement. And after saying that i will add that i will probably get a ticket someday because I occasionally exceed the legal limit. Hey lets be honest on all sides and have some respect of others with a different view.

I have heard about the costs of that road in enforcement and emergency services but don't forget that road makes big money also. That whole area is a mecca for road enthusiast.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Last week I drove home from NC on Tail of The Dragon. It was a Tuesday. I didn't think it was that big of a deal for a car since I had just driven on a lot of curvy mountain roads practically all the way home on the NC side, plus in NC it was raining. The cars and bikers I saw were mostly going in the opposite direction (towards NC). What did surprise me were all of these photographers set up on the side of the road to take your picture in various spots.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:25 AM

79 posts, read 121,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What did surprise me were all of these photographers set up on the side of the road to take your picture in various spots.
This road is money tourism and way more than just a way to get over the mountains from NC-TN. Motorcyclist come from all over the country and even from overseas to ride this now famous road. They will buy a photo souvenir online from these photographers. I remind the reader that you can get killed on any road but this one requires your attention.

Good driving to all.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:31 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,388 times
I saw one of those pictures online when my husband and his friend each drove it.....they both looked terrified!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville