Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:42 PM

93 posts, read 309,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Alum View Post
I'm also originally from Tampa. Well, I'm a military brat and lived all over, but my mom's family has been from the T-Bay area for generations. We were raised with a healthy appreciation for Cubanos--and their food. (Many of my mother's friends escaped Cuba when Castro took over.) I'm very glad to hear that there is a small slice of Cuban culture up there!

I am considering a Tennessee relocation. I had no idea that so many other Floridians were heading that way; I thought they were all heading to Georgia or the Carolinas.

Thanks to living in Germany, I have a healthy appreciation for seasons and mountains--but I just don't think I could leave the South.

I am a teacher, so I'd obviously like to work in a district with decent schools/pay. Does anyone know how competitive jobs are in the Knoxville area?

I should also add that I teach Social Studies, which is the most over-saturated of the disciplines. I am hoping that having a Master's Degree and National Board Certification (hopefully getting this year) will give me an edge. I would like to move in Summer of 08, but it might be more like 09.

Any insights?

Thanks!
I've been told that having your masters before you get a job here can actually hurt your chances of being hired. Since budgets are always strained many school systems are trying to hire the best teachers they can within their budget. Many times a person with a bachelors and a few years of experience will get a job over someone with the same or less experience and a masters. The final decision is up to the principal, but so many times they are left with few options.
Best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 06:53 PM

45 posts, read 171,793 times
I've heard that before about some districts. Sheesh, you can't win.

I was looking at school sites in and around Knoxville, and many seemed to be touting how many of their teachers held advanced degrees. I'll probably end up targeting districts/schools for whom that is, seemingly, a benefit. I'll have seven years of experience at the end of this year, which I was hoping didn't seem too "senior."

I have time. I really want to see what happens when this recession starts to hit and how it will affect the rest of the country. Down here, those who have lost their jobs in the mortgage/real estate industry are all dusting off their resumes and applying for teaching positions. Competition for jobs here and in other states might get a bit more stiff.

Have you heard anything about what the general teaching environment is like there?

Old 09-04-2007, 07:17 PM

93 posts, read 309,933 times
It can be pretty tough in many districts. The best districts are hiring but they only hire the best meaning teachers with diverse and technology based backgrounds. Being fluent in Spanish will help in this area. Of course the better your resume looks the better chances of a position. 7 years isn't too senior but it's getting there. If you were a great math teacher and had a diverse resume you would get a job in the district of your choosing. Social Studies might be a tough one. Have you researched jobs in GA. They are booming in many places and expanding schools like crazy. Might be worth a look.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:53 PM

45 posts, read 171,793 times
Ah, yes, if I only taught Math and Science. I'm almost tempted to go get those endorsements, but...then I'd have to teach Math and Science.

I do have a few things I can bring to the table, and I'm hoping to add more by the time I'm ready to apply.

I have considered Georgia. I lived in Savannah for a year between undergrad and grad and was thinking about somewhere north of Atlanta. However, I didn't like some of the things I read about the conditions there.

Also, while it's booming there, I tend to be leery of places that get built up too quickly and have too many folks from somewhere else. It's been my experience that, in those areas, people don't have a stake in the community, and there is less civic pride.

I like being in a place where a majority of folks have an historical connection to the area. (It's even better when they love to spin tales about how this lake or that town or road got its name and who got run out of town and why. )

I want to live somewhere that I can still find older homes and established neighborhoods. I have no interest in any new develepments/subdivisions/gated communities.

I'm sure my job hunt will be tough, but the way I figure: "If it's meant to be, it'll happen."

While I'm not a fan of the area where I am now, I have a good job and am well-respected. It could definitely be worse.

(That doesn't mean that I won't do my research and follow down leads!)

Thank you for your help and suggestions!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:40 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Alum View Post
Ah, yes, if I only taught Math and Science. I'm almost tempted to go get those endorsements, but...then I'd have to teach Math and Science.

I do have a few things I can bring to the table, and I'm hoping to add more by the time I'm ready to apply.

I have considered Georgia. I lived in Savannah for a year between undergrad and grad and was thinking about somewhere north of Atlanta. However, I didn't like some of the things I read about the conditions there.

Also, while it's booming there, I tend to be leery of places that get built up too quickly and have too many folks from somewhere else. It's been my experience that, in those areas, people don't have a stake in the community, and there is less civic pride.

I like being in a place where a majority of folks have an historical connection to the area. (It's even better when they love to spin tales about how this lake or that town or road got its name and who got run out of town and why. )

I want to live somewhere that I can still find older homes and established neighborhoods. I have no interest in any new develepments/subdivisions/gated communities.

I'm sure my job hunt will be tough, but the way I figure: "If it's meant to be, it'll happen."

While I'm not a fan of the area where I am now, I have a good job and am well-respected. It could definitely be worse.

(That doesn't mean that I won't do my research and follow down leads!)

Thank you for your help and suggestions!
It sounds like you have the right attitude! And I agree with you about teaching in Atlanta's booming suburbs. NO THANK YOU. Been there, done that. Sure, the pay was decent, but some things are more important than money.

Knox County is a big school system, I really don't think you'll have much of a problem getting a job here. A friend from Mississippi moved here and landed a high school English teaching job on her first try (English teachers are a dime a dozen around here, too). If you have a good résumé and are certified to teach at a variety of levels, and particularly after you get your national certification, you shouldn't have any problems.

If you want to teach in one of the higher-paying area school districts such as Oak Ridge or Maryville, that's another story. Competition for those higher-paying districts is pretty fierce, and there's very little turnover. But Knox County is not a bad alternative, and considering it's a "big city" school district, it's a cakewalk compared to other big city school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville