Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:12 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times

Advertisements

U can buy cell phones at Kroger under 50.00 Text and talk unlimited. No downpayment or "contract" like Verizon. U can buy prepaid cards also.

Roaming can be prevented on Krogers cell phones just go to advanced setting and check field for "do not allow" roaming or you will pay for out of your service area- higher charges like if people from far-away states call you etc.

Its alot easier these days- cell phones have to be competitive now, so u dont need an AT &T blackberry to get decent service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 PM

118 posts, read 234,775 times
I can say that Verizon has the best service in the mountainous areas than any other provider, hands down. I have many friends that visit me up in the hills, and the only provider that has signal consistantly is Verizon. I purchased a signal booster off Amazon for my dead spot in the back of the house (it's up against the side of a mountain) and it works amazingly well. It is well worth the extra money to me. I would never consider another provider, because I spend so much time in remote areas on my motorcycle.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:51 AM

29 posts, read 56,051 times
Default Cell Phone Coverage Knoxville

Funny that no one mentioned it yet but US Cellular has great coverage. I travel all over the city, and make frequent trips to Charlotte, NC. Have never had a problem. I also think their plans are better than the competitors.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:45 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,287,634 times
I really like Verizon.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:22 PM

81 posts, read 105,803 times
Thought I'd jump in and mention I've been using Net10 now for oh, 3 years I think? Been pretty good overall, few instances of dropping the signal (which has been occurring just in the last few months up in Oak Ridge, so could be something going on in that area, they seem to always be working on cell towers there). $15/month for 200 minutes (which are also used for internet and texting) which is good if you don't talk much like me. No roaming charges or any of that stuff. Customer service is lacking, but for most people just needing basic services it sufficient. They use various networks, so coverage is pretty good.

For those who want smart phones they have those too, but plans are $50/mo for unlimited everything. I know that's not bad, but I don't need unlimited everything, lol. And I have been thinking of going to something like a smartphone rather than carry around my texting phone and itouch. So I have been thinking of switching to TMobile as they have plans for smart phones starting at $30/mo which would probably suite my needs, just haven't been entirely sure of how good the coverage will be.

Used to use Virgin Mobile when first moved to area, but coverage in Oak Ridge wasn't very good at the time (few years ago) so that's when I moved to Net10. If it hadn't been for that I'd stuck with them as I had used them for years and was very happy with their service.

From what I know of others use, Verizon seems to have the best coverage in the region, but a lot folks I know that have them are often not satisfied with them or their customer service, so guess its a trade off.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Knoxnut, I've been using Virgin Mobile for my daughter's no-contract phone. She has a LG Optimus V smartphone and unlimited texting and surfing with 1,200 minutes and it is $45. For the 400 minute plan with the unlimited it is $35. I love it. She's a pre-teen and uses the phone constantly and it is fabulous. They use the Sprint network and we haven't had any dropped calls; it has even worked here and there in The Smoky Mountains National Park which is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville