Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 PM

18 posts, read 95,505 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a home in or near Maryville; retired so schools are not a priority. We are looking more for convenience to stores, doctors, church, etc. Also, need a flat area so husband can take care of yard/grass. Any recommendations as to which subdivisions we should consider? Is it possible to find a home under $250,000 under 10 years old all brick updated amenities?

Sure hope someone can help!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:46 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
You sent this as a DM, too, which is already answered and I don't have the time to spend writing it all over a second time.

Try the local public MLS listings to see what is for sale and what appeals to you. It's far easier to narrow down once you have seen the area and know what parts you like or dislike. There are several all brick homes in your price range listed all around the area outside of Maryville city limits. Many are not in subdivisions and most are not on flat ground because Maryville is located in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains.

Map Search

Old 03-24-2012, 09:20 PM

121 posts, read 314,013 times
After driving around for HOURS today I can tell you there are several homes for sale. You have to get out and look as well as look on Zillow. We had a list from the internet and found 9 EXTRA homes we never saw on the internet (no kidding). Around the Forest Street area there are several homes people have fixed up and are re-selling.

As for FLAT yards that might be 10% of Maryville. It was very hilly. Not many flats areas that we saw.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:06 AM

3 posts, read 12,909 times
Thanks for all the info. My husband and I found a house on Lora Drive outside of Maryville that we loved but when I looked at the school, which was Montvale Elementary, I was very disappointed in the parent reviews and their state report card. I looked at all of the reviews for Blount County schools and looks like Carpenter Elementary is the only one that is doing well. Schools are a priority for us as we have a 6 and 9 year old. Maybe we will reconsider living within the city limits

Old 03-25-2012, 06:23 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenranderson View Post
Thanks for all the info. My husband and I found a house on Lora Drive outside of Maryville that we loved but when I looked at the school, which was Montvale Elementary, I was very disappointed in the parent reviews and their state report card. I looked at all of the reviews for Blount County schools and looks like Carpenter Elementary is the only one that is doing well. Schools are a priority for us as we have a 6 and 9 year old. Maybe we will reconsider living within the city limits
My children received a top notch education in the Maryville City Schools to the point that they were bored their first two years of college. (in the classroom that is)

Old 04-02-2012, 10:30 PM

51 posts, read 101,559 times
Jen, Beretta is not lying. Maryville city schools are very good. I was raised in county schools. I wish they'd done some things better but overall the education was fine. Some friends of mine from county schools went on to be CPA'a, Nuclear Physicists, geologists, college professors, engineers, physical therapists (Dr.'s now I believe), and more.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,036 times
Our situation is a bit different. My wife and I are looking for a place to retire in about 2 years. We have one grown child in Memphis and another married with three kids in the DC area. We'd like to be closer to them, but not right next door. One of our main concerns is humidity. We now live in Sacramento CA. Summer temps are almost always over 90 and we get quite a few days over 100. But the humidity is fairly low. We found Memphis humidity pretty bad. How is it in Maryville? What is the elevation? How are Tennessee taxes? Thanks. Mark in California.

Last edited by Beretta; 09-05-2012 at 05:00 AM..

Old 09-05-2012, 08:29 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
Anywhere in the southeast (located between your kids) will be more humid than you are used to. I understand the concern since heat and humidity for months and months was one thing I was fairly concerned with moving south. Personally I don't think it is as bad as many other parts of the south because we are close to the mountains and seem to get a little cooling effect from them. While Maryville can still get a little hot and sticky during the summer, with some summers worse than others, the other 3 seasons make up for it pretty quickly. Generally we have long springs and falls separated by short winters.

Elevation will depend on where in Maryville you live, or even if you live outside the city in the first set of mountains of the Smokies. Maryville is set on the rolling terrain otherwise known as the "foothills" of the Smoky Mountains.

Taxes and fees in TN will seem small to anyone coming from a high tax state like CA or NY. There is no income tax in TN (with the exception of certain dividend and interest income over a certain amount), local taxes depend on town or county residence but are not high by what I was used to in NY. Some people get a bit hung up on the sales tax which is charged on everything including food (albeit at a slightly lower rate than everything else) but even that is not worse than CA.
Quote:
States with the highest sales tax are: California (7.25%), Indiana (7%), Mississippi (7%), New Jersey (7%), Rhode Island (7%), Tennessee (7%), Minnesota (6.875%), Nevada (6.85%), Arizona (6.6%), Washington (6.5%), Kansas (6.3%), Texas and Illinois (6.25%).
The quote above was taken from here: Taxes by State

Local additions can make the tax hit around 9%. You will find gas prices at the pump quite a bit lower, one reason being less taxes on gas. Overall the tax burden is low enough to have qualified TN as the lowest or near lowest state in the union for the last several years running.

Another way to see the tax burden and compare to where you are now: Tennessee | Tax Foundation

Old 09-06-2012, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 7,036 times
Thank you for your reply. We won't be moving anywhere for a couple years so we'll continue to research. Maryville appears to worth looking at. Thanks again.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,958 times
Hi Everyone! My husband and I are considering moving to the Maryville area in about a year. We currently live in SW Florida. I have been here for 34 years and my biggest concern is the winters there. I love to be outside rather than in and cold weather kills my joints. How much snow do you really get there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville