Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,050 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are moving to Knoxville or a 'burb within a year, we are both in the medical field with her being an RN, and me working in Pharmacy.

What hospitals are close, and what are the best ones to work for?

I have heard to stay away from Blount Memorial from others, but I need some more info.

We are looking at Maryville or another outlying town. We both grew up in a small town, so the small town feel would be nice, but we live outside Indy now. So we have had the best of large and small.

Of all the 'burbs around Knoxville, what are the rich side, the poor side, the *insert whatever* side?

In Indy, the east side is the trouble gang side, the north side is the money side, south is rednecks, and the west is the up and coming newly developed side.

What does Knoxville have the meshs with these?

Thanks all.

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 07:51 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
You might want to see what hospitals are hiring, and THEN decide which one to check off the list.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 4,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
You might want to see what hospitals are hiring, and THEN decide which one to check off the list.

I think you misunderstood the question.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:12 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
My point was that you may hear of the best hospital in the world, but if they are not hiring, then it really doesn't matter.

Your questions...
What hospitals are close, and what are the best ones to work for? You can Google hospitals around Knoxville very easy yourself. There have been some major changes in some hospitals recently, and probably more in the future. Like I said before, you should probably find out which hospitals might be hiring, then decide if you want to work there.

I have heard to stay away from Blount Memorial from others, but I need some more info. I guess it depends on what your source was, and the reasons you should stay away.

We are looking at Maryville or another outlying town. We both grew up in a small town, so the small town feel would be nice, but we live outside Indy now. So we have had the best of large and small. Are you looking at Maryville because you visited and drove around, or are you just looking at a map and seeing all these "towns" around Knoxville?

Of all the 'burbs around Knoxville, what are the rich side, the poor side, the *insert whatever* side? If you have been following the Knoxville threads, you would already know some of this stuff. If you haven't been reading the older threads, it might be a good idea. This topic has been covered over and over and over again. The "rich side" can be found all over. Farragut has a bunch of big expensive homes, but also a lot of modest homes. Big "old money" homes are also found near downtown, north, and in the middle. Close by all of these areas, there are modest homes, or "poor areas". There are some marginal areas just east of downtown, but not far from those, are some really nice homes. It is very difficult to "label" areas in Knoxville. If you took the time to drive around the area, you would see for yourself.

In Indy, the east side is the trouble gang side, the north side is the money side, south is rednecks, and the west is the up and coming newly developed side. Knoxville isn't Indy.

What does Knoxville have the meshs with these? I have no idea what this means.

You should really plan a trip down here and drive around for a few days and get a good idea of what its like here. At the same time you would be able to find all the hospitals and check out potential employment. You can read all you want about an area, but nothing beats being there in person and getting around. When we were trying to decide if Knoxville would be a good place to move, we visited for a week. We drove all over the place , and talked to everyone we could.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
As you know, Indy is much larger than Knoxville. We don't have the same type of problems that Indy has, such as a huge gang presence. I had in-laws that lived there for quite awhile and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the area. Generally speaking, newer homes are in West Knoxville. Transplants seem to congregate further west. We have a core of people that are gentrifying the immediate north area of downtown. Downtown is seeing a renaissance with lots of trendy lofts and apartments. Lots of locals in North Knoxville and Fountain City. South can be a bit redneck though you can see that all over, too. East Knoxville and the Lonsdale, Mechanicsville area has some of the "rougher" neighborhoods but they will seem like kindergarten to you, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville