Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 PM

67 posts, read 103,901 times

Advertisements

It's nice to be able to ask someone these things that actually live there, and know the area better than we do. At this point, we aren't looking to buy. As Hiknapster recommended, we intend on renting for a while; however, we do intend to buy at some point. We still prefer to even rent in a less crowded suburb or a rural area with a good community feel if you know what I mean. We are not urban type people. We like the amenities and such, but like our peace and quiet too. We definitely don't like the sprawl. Some do, and that's okay. Each to their own I suppose. We have looked on the net for info on areas as close to Knoxville as Fountain City, and as far out as Clinton. I'll take all considerations to heart. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 12:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
We're coming in tomorrow but have done research for the last month or two on several different real estate sites and several different areas not to mention talking to several people on here, reading many posts and having traveled around TN on several different occasions.
As for 4 days, after 13-14 moves I can say with some certainty you're not doing yourself any favors and may make a huge mistake. I call that "speed buying" and has it's risks.
Unless you've spent lots of time before and know the area 4 days just isn't enough for most to make an educated purchase.
We have 10 days to make a decision this time (7 is normal for us) and if we can't find what we're looking for we'll rent for a bit until we do find it or buy a motorhome and cruise around the state looking like we did where we are now.
I guess in the end what I'm saying is have a fall back position that you're comfortable with, pick an area you'd be happy to rent in if all else fails or you're not absolutely sure about what's available.
Good luck and happy hunting!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:56 PM

Guess our posts crossed JimJ, but we aren't buying at this point. As Hiknapster recommended, we're renting for now. We do however, plan to buy down the road. The 4 days were spending down there is more to get a better feel for the whole area, and to see what areas we prefer overall. We have been there before, so we're not going in totally blind. It was under totally different circumstances though, so we didn't pay attention much to the specifics one would if they were moving there. We did the touristy things, and one can't move by that though we liked the area very much. My husband is still in the process of getting a transfer there. While we know it will be in the Knoxville MSA/CSA, we have no specifics at this point. He is a manager with a large auto part retailer. They have over 20 stores in that area, so your guess could be good as mine as to which one he will be at. That being said, we have done pretty much what it seems most transplants that have moved there have done. I can't tell ya how many of these threads I've read, and how many nice people I've talked too on here. We also have done the real estate listings searches to see what is out that even though we are renting, and to see how the property taxes are there. Doesn't hurt to see what you eventually are getting yourself into regardless. We've gotten the info from the chamber of commerce, researched info on Tax Foundation as to the tax burden, researched info on the labor site as to wages/unemployment, and whatever else you can think of. To be honest, we considered most areas in Mid Tennessee and Eastern Tennessee when we started and narrowed it down to the Tri-Cities and Knoxville. As we aren't retired (We are in our mid 40's), it came down to the economy and Knoxville was the pick. So we are trying to be practical and careful with every decision we make. We screwed up big time when we moved to Columbus, Oh several years ago. Thankfully, we rented then; otherwise, we would've been stuck. Part of it was the economy (No more than we got there, the company my husband worked for filed for bankruptcy and subsequently went under.), but we also ended up not liking the area at all. It was one of those great ideas at the time, but was stupid. LOL Oh well. Live and learn. I do hope you find the home of your dreams, and have an uneventful move. Hopefully we're not too far behind in the move. Sorry for the book, but I did want to assure you that we are being careful with all of this. We all might see each other eventually there.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
SMP, I did the same research as you. Same thing. I wanted to know what the housing prices were, the taxes, because even though I knew we would rent for awhile I wanted to know if the area was something that I could handle down the road. I wanted to know about salaries, schools, etc. After that, it was just a matter of checking out the "vibe." If that was a fit then it was a go, and it was.

If either one of you need help, let me know. You can shoot me a message and I can steer you in the right direction. I am also happy to meet up with any of you. I'm an overweight 50-year-old with a daughter that is a younger, skinnier version of me. I use to be a real estate agent but don't intend on doing it again. I am not affiliated with any agents, in fact the only advice I can give on that arena is who to stay the heck away from.

Either way, I'm non-violent and try to not to be too obnoxious.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 PM

Well, I've been accused of over analyzing by some family members. That's okay. After the fiasco with Columbus, I do not want any unpleasant surprises. Not if I can help it anyway. Hiknapster, we appreciate your insight during this process. We would love to meet up with you at some point. I'm all for making new friends. My husband is 45, and I'm an overweight 43 year-old with a 3 year old Maine Coon cat named Neelix. My husband named her. He's a big Star Trekkie. LOL She is about the only good thing that happened in Columbus. No children. Wanted them, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. BTW, your earlier post about the parts of town was clear.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
I live in a different section of Fountain City then Hiknapster. We are not that far from one another though. Where my little cottage is feels like I am in the country. In fact FC reminds me very much of the small town I grew up in. There are even hawks, owls and woodchucks here.( critters, not referring to residents) I bring that point to the table because living in Knoxville/FC area is not anything like a city or what I thought a city was.
People walk by all the time. Neighbors chit chat and visit and watch out for one another. Some Sundays I do not have to cook at all as my female neighbors supply me with plates of food, cookies or cheesecakes. Summer nights as I sit on my deck, different neighbors practice whatever instruments they play outside. It is a impromptu concert summer series and to me adds to the charm and appeal of living in FC.
Best of luck to you and enjoy your trip to Knoxville!
Pam

Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I live in a different section of Fountain City then Hiknapster. We are not that far from one another though. Where my little cottage is feels like I am in the country. In fact FC reminds me very much of the small town I grew up in. There are even hawks, owls and woodchucks here.( critters, not referring to residents) I bring that point to the table because living in Knoxville/FC area is not anything like a city or what I thought a city was.
People walk by all the time. Neighbors chit chat and visit and watch out for one another. Some Sundays I do not have to cook at all as my female neighbors supply me with plates of food, cookies or cheesecakes. Summer nights as I sit on my deck, different neighbors practice whatever instruments they play outside. It is a impromptu concert summer series and to me adds to the charm and appeal of living in FC.
Best of luck to you and enjoy your trip to Knoxville!
Pam
We'll definitely look into Fountain City. From you and Hiknapster have said, it sounds like it's doable. Kind of the best of both. Somewhat rural, but close to the city. WV is probably 95% rural. It's what we like, and what we are used to. Each to their own though. I'm sure there are some that would love living right in the middle of it. It's what you're used to I suppose. The way you guys describe life in Knoxville or areas around it, it sounds nothing like Columbus. People acted like it was a crime to even look at each other, and heaven forbid if you wanted to strike up a conversation. They looked at you like you were crazy. I just don't understand it. Thanks for the well wishes. I'm sure we'll have a great time during our visit. Just hope the weather holds up. It isn't the best time of the year to go. I admit that.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnPeace View Post
We'll definitely look into Fountain City. From you and Hiknapster have said, it sounds like it's doable. Kind of the best of both. Somewhat rural, but close to the city. WV is probably 95% rural. It's what we like, and what we are used to. Each to their own though. I'm sure there are some that would love living right in the middle of it. It's what you're used to I suppose. The way you guys describe life in Knoxville or areas around it, it sounds nothing like Columbus. People acted like it was a crime to even look at each other, and heaven forbid if you wanted to strike up a conversation. They looked at you like you were crazy. I just don't understand it. Thanks for the well wishes. I'm sure we'll have a great time during our visit. Just hope the weather holds up. It isn't the best time of the year to go. I admit that.
Ok, first off it's CHILLY here! Brrrrrr, we left 79 degrees and I'm now wearing my Montana winter coat. Actually it's a nice change, there's something just wrong about wearing shorts and t-shirts on New Years day.
SMP, yep we crossed posts and now that I see what you're husband is doing for work we'll all have to become great friends
We're firing up the search this morning, hope to have the choices winnowed down by Sunday. Don't feel bad about your Ohio oops, we've done that a couple of times in the past, one really bad oops, we only lasted in the house 9 months and it cost us about $20k to get out of. That was ok though, our sanity and happiness was worth it. In our current move we're breaking just about even but we knew it was just a stop on the way here when we bought and besides so far it saved about $40k in out of state tuition costs. I do wish I was sure enough in the economy and where the country is headed to hold onto it for a couple of years as a rental and then sell it since we paid less than half what it cost to build it.
The big upside to us moving here is our Ice Cream vending business. Where we're at now during the summer it's too hot to realistically run it, the freezers almost burn up just keeping it semi-frozen and we can't park the rig at home due to HOA rules and the houses are sooo close together we actually hear it when the neighbors close their door from the laundry room to the garage.

Since we're talking ages, y'all are youngsters Naw, Hik I'm only 2 years older than you but feel about 10 older..
Maybe we'll have to do a C-D Ice Cream social after we get settled?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 PM

Well, the trip may be on hold. It's one big hot mess where my husband works. They normally have 4 managers. Why so many, I don't have a clue. One turned in their notice 3 weeks ago, and they have yet to replace him. Another one turned in their notice today. So in 2 weeks, they will be down to 2 managers. It's been like this for the past year there. You hire people, and they last 2-3 months if you're lucky. No one wants to work. My hubby likes the job, but it's wearing on him. He wants out of that store and district. Very irritating. Oh well. It's life. We'll get down there as soon as we can.

JimJ, hope your house hunting is going well and you're enjoying the trip. I'm sure you'll do well in Knoxville with your ice cream vending business. I'm sure everyone is up for an ice cream social.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnPeace View Post
Well, the trip may be on hold. It's one big hot mess where my husband works. They normally have 4 managers. Why so many, I don't have a clue. One turned in their notice 3 weeks ago, and they have yet to replace him. Another one turned in their notice today. So in 2 weeks, they will be down to 2 managers. It's been like this for the past year there. You hire people, and they last 2-3 months if you're lucky. No one wants to work. My hubby likes the job, but it's wearing on him. He wants out of that store and district. Very irritating. Oh well. It's life. We'll get down there as soon as we can.

JimJ, hope your house hunting is going well and you're enjoying the trip. I'm sure you'll do well in Knoxville with your ice cream vending business. I'm sure everyone is up for an ice cream social.
I'm sorry to hear about your husbands job situation, that really sucks. As for the house hunting, well that ended rather quickly. it seems that the MLS doesn't update very well so 80% of the houses we thought we had available were already under contract leaving about 7. Out of those 7 we looked at 3 who's listing and pictures in no way matched reality. Our agent pretty much told us the rest of our now short list would be the same and suggested we go to plan B that she knew we had. She said that in the Knox area decent houses below $150k are usually snapped up within days if not by regular people then by investors looking to flip.
So, plan B it is. Off to Tri-Cities today where we're pretty sure most of our list is still intact.
Dang... Oh well, it's still TN right? The good part is we like both areas so fate has spoken I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville