Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzpatriot View Post
Last place I ate was at the 'Downtown Grill & Brewery'. Great food in a historic location.
I've been wanting to try that place for some time now. Perhaps I will make it there soon! Glad to know it's good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 08:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSUAccountingGuy View Post
I've been wanting to try that place for some time now. Perhaps I will make it there soon! Glad to know it's good.
Last time I went the food was fine, nothing to crow about though. It's one step above the average pub fare. But the atmosphere is wonderful! To me, it's worth it for that alone. Quintessential Knoxville.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 AM

I've been to Latitude 35 twice, now, and both times the food was awful. I was with my parents the last time but if they weren't there I would have sent my food back. My patty melt was dry toast covering a burnt and tiny hamburger bun. A couple of fried onions. No cheese. The entire sandwich was dry, dry, dry, not the ooey-gooey wonderfulness you expect from a patty melt. Everyone hated the food they received. My dad must be mellowing because in his younger days the entire mess would have been sent back, tout de suite.

Went to Chesapeake's for Mother's Day. Wonderful as usual. The lobster, cracked table-side, was great. I also had the best wedge salad I've ever eaten. The service is always so good. It's amazing that the same folks own Calhoun's!

Old 05-13-2013, 11:39 AM

345 posts, read 921,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I've been to Latitude 35 twice, now, and both times the food was awful. I was with my parents the last time but if they weren't there I would have sent my food back. My patty melt was dry toast covering a burnt and tiny hamburger bun. A couple of fried onions. No cheese. The entire sandwich was dry, dry, dry, not the ooey-gooey wonderfulness you expect from a patty melt. Everyone hated the food they received. My dad must be mellowing because in his younger days the entire mess would have been sent back, tout de suite.

Went to Chesapeake's for Mother's Day. Wonderful as usual. The lobster, cracked table-side, was great. I also had the best wedge salad I've ever eaten. The service is always so good. It's amazing that the same folks own Calhoun's!
I concur about Latitude 35 food. The place is cool to visit as a club, but the food is 'ok'...or as you would say, "meh".

Regarding Calhoun's, we went Saturday night to the location in Pigeon Forge for my son's birthday.
My husband ordered the 1/2 rack of ribs. They were dry and burnt. He sent them back. Got another 1/2 rack burnt again. My son ordered steak medium rare; it was rare. I had a steak as well; ordered it medium rare but it was rare...but I ate it because I prefer them that way.

Spoke to the manager; server never did tell him of our displeasure. He comped us the two meals off the billl...but still. I am so disapointed. The Calhoun's location on the river has always been good, so if we decide to ever go back to Calhoun's, we'll go there.

Reminds me of the Smoky Mtn. Brewery. The one in Gatlinburg is terrible....bad service...food isn't up to par....but the one in Pigeon Forge is great. Never had a bad experience there. Love going there on Friday's for live music.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMopar View Post

The Calhoun's location on the river has always been good, so if we decide to ever go back to Calhoun's, we'll go there.

Reminds me of the Smoky Mtn. Brewery. The one in Gatlinburg is terrible....bad service...food isn't up to par....but the one in Pigeon Forge is great. Never had a bad experience there. Love going there on Friday's for live music.
My ribs have always been burnt and dry at the Calhoun's on the river so you might want to order something else!

I agree about Smoky Mtn Brewery. I've only been to the one at Turkey Creek. My daughter ordered a cheese pizza and it didn't have any cheese. We told the waitress and she said that is because the cheese is underneath the sauce. Darned if we could find it! So she took it away and brought it back with cold slices of cheese on top. Um, what? We brought it home and fed it to the dog.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:07 PM

283 posts, read 899,809 times
Went to Gavino's on Kingston Pike in the Bearden area a couple of times in the last couple weeks. Great server the first time, and wonderful calzones. We got the small, and they were bigger than the dinner plates! Really good, and took half home, but they weren't so good reheated, which is typical of calzones. Last week, service not so good, got heroes. Not as impressed. They were large, but not quite what we expected. We will try one more time, maybe get the lasagna and chicken parm.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykat&joe View Post
Went to Gavino's on Kingston Pike in the Bearden area a couple of times in the last couple weeks. Great server the first time, and wonderful calzones. We got the small, and they were bigger than the dinner plates! Really good, and took half home, but they weren't so good reheated, which is typical of calzones. Last week, service not so good, got heroes. Not as impressed. They were large, but not quite what we expected. We will try one more time, maybe get the lasagna and chicken parm.
Yes! I've been there once, got take-out. I thought it was just okay. Waiting around for the food I had the misfortune of watching the owner. The way he treated the waitress was reprehensible. If you Google the restaurant you'll see that this issue comes up quite a bit. He has a nasty personality.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:08 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Went to Don pablos over at eastown mall. This is the only mexican restauraunt that you know what your going to get (quality wise). For a chain they do a good job, have good service and decent food. Seems like most mexican places ive been to lately (other than pablos) are just not that great, still looking for a really good one.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:56 AM

345 posts, read 921,730 times
Hubby always wanted to try McAllister's Deli. We were heading into Pigeon Forge on Sunday after Church to head over toward Pottery Barn and decided to stop in and try it. The best time to go into PF is Sunday after Church...everyone is leaving then! LOL!!!

I had the french dip with a side of cole slaw; hubby had the rueben and potato salad. Of course, I had to have a big ole sweet tea!

The sandwiches were decent sized; bread was fresh and soft. I think for the cost, there could have been a bit more meat on both sandwiches but all in all, it was good. Hubby said the tater salad was very good; not overly seasoned. I think the cole slaw was good as well, it was the perfect amount for me.

This location was very clean; the staff friendly and polite and the manager was walking the dining area, checking on patrons. Very organized. We will go back. I don't think it was over priced; the sandwiches are all close in price range. I saw another diner eating one of their baked potatoes. My gosh, that thing was huge!! If you are into that kind of thing, I'd say you'd definetely be full after a tater of that size!! LOL!

All in all, I recommend this location; hope the others are similar.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 AM

383 posts, read 918,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Went to Don pablos over at eastown mall. This is the only mexican restauraunt that you know what your going to get (quality wise). For a chain they do a good job, have good service and decent food. Seems like most mexican places ive been to lately (other than pablos) are just not that great, still looking for a really good one.

Having lived in various states close to the border, I've been fortunate enough to eat some very good authentic Mexican food. The wife is a lover of all things in the Mexican/American arena so most of the local places fit the bill for her.

Although I don't typically do chains, we do go to Don Pablos from time to time when we find ourselves in that area and I would agree with you on the service, cleanliness, and decent food for what it is..meaning decent food, not authentic, which is perfectly fine. They do make tortillas fresh and they do a more consistent job of that then other places like Chuy's imo.

Now, for an everyday Mexican place to grab a decent meal in this area, I would recommend La Palma De Oro on Clinton. I have only been during lunch hours so can't speak to what goes on there at night. But during lunch the food is fresh and fast, the service is very good, and the place is as clean as you could ask for of any restaurant. The prices are reasonable - typically the wife and I will split a fajita dinner and add a couple of side items, getting out of there for around $12 plus tip with both of us comfortably full. I've had lunch there 8 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville