U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:32 PM

6 posts, read 23,574 times
Default The police and their hiring practices...

Hi, again,
New questions about employment with the police department and sheriff's office: Does anyone on the forums work for either of these agencies in Knox or surrounding counties and have any comments on their hiring processes? My DH is having the worst time in our Kentucky town with the "good ole' boy" system. He has 6 yrs. of law enforcement and corrections experience from FL, but can't even get a meeting with the hiring personnel in the sheriff's office or the police department here without a native (our one,new friend) making a few phone calls and pulling a few strings JUST to get to talk to someone about the hiring process. So my question is: does Knox county or the surrounding counties hire their own, regardless of experience? Do the hiring personnel of those counties and those departments even consider experience, or is it "who you know" when getting on with those agencies? I am having the same problem with teaching...One of the other applicants for a position at the local high school that I also applied for graduated from said high school, was born in this county, and her mom (and probably other relatives) work for the school system. I have six more years' experience as a teacher and performed better in my interview than she did (from her mouth to a third party who told me) but I didn't get hired for the position. I assume it was because of all the strings she pulled and that I'm not a native. So I'm just wondering if it works the same in Knoxville and the surrounding counties before we consider moving there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 07:36 AM

Default No responses?

So does no one on this board have any experience with the police for hiring practices or does nobody want to discuss them? Not being nasty, just asking. No responses sort of makes me suspicious unless nobody really has any experience with them. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:48 AM

19 posts, read 37,399 times
I would answer in a second if I had one...but I'm honestly curious about the hiring practices as well.
As far as you being a teacher...I don't know how it works..but can you teach any grade level in any school? What about Universities?
It's too bad you're having a hard time with this because I was always under the impression that the schools were constantly in need of teachers.
Just an idea...but would there be alternative ways to earn a living in the meantime in case finding a teachingjob didn't happen right away? Maybe tutoring?
Just asking the questions hoping to help you reach some type of solution.
Good luck!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:11 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,841,582 times
There hasn't really been much in the news about it. The sherfif who had been in power for a long time just got ousted due to term limits. He's been accused of running the most corrupt sheriffs department in the country, not accounting for money and property seized in drug raids, etc. He has a lot of supporters though and is politically powerful. The new sheriff is a crony of his. Don't know about hiring practices but I'd stay clear.
A new police chief was appointed in 2004. He's from outside, former FBI and private security firm owner. Don't hear much about him, which may be good or bad.
City of Knoxville - KPD Police Department
You see black and female officers in both sheriff and police uniforms. Any police I've dealt with have been very professional and helpful.
We do have the National Forensic Academy at UT, connected to the Body Farm.
National Forensic Academy
If he wants to go into that type of work, the opportunity is there.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:14 PM

8,987 posts, read 20,920,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HidingSun1 View Post
So does no one on this board have any experience with the police for hiring practices or does nobody want to discuss them? Not being nasty, just asking. No responses sort of makes me suspicious unless nobody really has any experience with them. Thanks.
I can't speak for others, but I haven't answered because I have absolutely zero experience with the police department and sheriff's office. But with 400,000 people in Knox County, it's a pretty big area with large law enforcement departments. Like anywhere, I'm sure it would be easier to get a job if you knew the right people, but I can't imagine that they would turn away a qualified candidate just because he's not connected to the right families. (Being promoted, however, might be a different issue.)

As far as getting a teaching job, again, Knox County is a large school district. Obviously, not every one of the thousands of teachers here is related to someone with influence. I personally have a couple of friends who are not from here but got teaching jobs very easily. Again, I'm sure it doesn't hurt to be buddies with someone with influence, but it's a large enough school system that this shouldn't be a requirement.

In defense of small-town school systems, however, I would like to add that I don't necessarily disagree with their desire to hire a "local" over an "outsider" even if the outsider is more qualified (and "qualified" is very subjective). In many cases the administrator would rather have an employee who knows the area, knows the families, knows the quirks of the people, and who is going to stay for a long time. Often there is the fear--justified or not--that an "outsider" isn't going to stick around. And having been in small Mississippi towns that are regularly flooded with Northern do-gooders who are out to "save the South" I can see why many administrators would rather have locals.

At any rate, and I'm sorry for such a long post, I really don't think you or your husband will have any problems getting jobs in Knoxville. It's a great place to live. Come on down!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:21 AM

10,723 posts, read 14,893,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HidingSun1 View Post
Hi, again,
New questions about employment with the police department and sheriff's office: Does anyone on the forums work for either of these agencies in Knox or surrounding counties and have any comments on their hiring processes? My DH is having the worst time in our Kentucky town with the "good ole' boy" system. He has 6 yrs. of law enforcement and corrections experience from FL, but can't even get a meeting with the hiring personnel in the sheriff's office or the police department here without a native (our one,new friend) making a few phone calls and pulling a few strings JUST to get to talk to someone about the hiring process. So my question is: does Knox county or the surrounding counties hire their own, regardless of experience? Do the hiring personnel of those counties and those departments even consider experience, or is it "who you know" when getting on with those agencies? I am having the same problem with teaching...One of the other applicants for a position at the local high school that I also applied for graduated from said high school, was born in this county, and her mom (and probably other relatives) work for the school system. I have six more years' experience as a teacher and performed better in my interview than she did (from her mouth to a third party who told me) but I didn't get hired for the position. I assume it was because of all the strings she pulled and that I'm not a native. So I'm just wondering if it works the same in Knoxville and the surrounding counties before we consider moving there.

Not familiar with TN but son is a civil service PO here in NJ.
If your husband was a PO in FL it may have been easier for him to investigate a lateral move to another dept while still employed as a PO, he may now have to go through the entire process a new recruit would have to do.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:33 PM

4,733 posts, read 6,402,373 times
Post Been there a few times, too. Be patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
In defense of small-town school systems, however, I would like to add that I don't necessarily disagree with their desire to hire a "local" over an "outsider" even if the outsider is more qualified (and "qualified" is very subjective). In many cases the administrator would rather have an employee who knows the area, knows the families, knows the quirks of the people, and who is going to stay for a long time. Often there is the fear--justified or not--that an "outsider" isn't going to stick around. And having been in small Mississippi towns that are regularly flooded with Northern do-gooders who are out to "save the South" I can see why many administrators would rather have locals.
I think that this is a very valid point, and not just for small school districts in the South. I think that this practice of hiring locals or long established residents is found just about anywhere and is probably justified. A school's success with providing an above average education for their students depends quite a bit on having a good rapport between school/teacher/parents/community. Developing a high level of confidence in a school doesn't happen if there is constant teacher turnover. It is unsettling to children and to the faculty.

So, all things being equal in an interview, I would guess that many times because "Mrs. School Board Smith" knows "Mary Hometown Teacher", but does not know the newly transplanted "Nancy Great Teacher", Mary Hometown will get the position.

Just keep applying, sign up for the sublists, especially in the district in which you would prefer to get a full time position, and you will get a job.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:01 PM

12,461 posts, read 17,679,887 times
Can't speak at all to the police hiring. My mom works for the state in Education; and is a former teacher and K-8 principal. They do give "outsiders" a chance but the nod definitely goes to people who can be "vouched for"; because, as another poster pointed out they are a known entity to the area. You don't have to worry that someone will move here and get homesick and move away, etc.

Speaking for myself as an employer (not in education or law enforcement), I can't tell you the number of people that I have hired from out of state that have NOT worked out for various reasons; usually because they (or their spouses, children) are homesick. I tend to shy away from out of staters because I (we) have been burned. Is this fair to the wonderful employee that wants to move here? Well, to that I ask what is fair? It isn't fair to my existing employees to spend their time training a new employee only to have them leave in short order. I have observed that it does seem a bit harder for the out of staters to integrate in with the "natives"; generally speaking.

Just food for thought. I hope everyone ends up in "their happy place".

Old 09-11-2007, 05:36 PM

4,733 posts, read 6,402,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Can't speak at all to the police hiring. My mom works for the state in Education; and is a former teacher and K-8 principal. They do give "outsiders" a chance but the nod definitely goes to people who can be "vouched for"; because, as another poster pointed out they are a known entity to the area. You don't have to worry that someone will move here and get homesick and move away, etc.

Speaking for myself as an employer (not in education or law enforcement), I can't tell you the number of people that I have hired from out of state that have NOT worked out for various reasons; usually because they (or their spouses, children) are homesick. I tend to shy away from out of staters because I (we) have been burned. Is this fair to the wonderful employee that wants to move here? Well, to that I ask what is fair? It isn't fair to my existing employees to spend their time training a new employee only to have them leave in short order. I have observed that it does seem a bit harder for the out of staters to integrate in with the "natives"; generally speaking.

Just food for thought. I hope everyone ends up in "their happy place".
Again, I have to agree completely with this point. It may not seem fair to the fully qualified and sincere applicant that as a transplant they may not get the job, but the reality is that many people who are newcomers to any area do not stay and it is a drain on employers and fellow employees to train and then have to retrain.

Hopefully, with a new move a family is moving to an area where they will be content to stay for many years, be assimilated into the community and find enjoyable employment. You just has to stick with the search. It may take many applications before you are snapped up by some fortunate employer.

I have experienced this first hand as a teacher with a husband whose job had changed every 3 - 4 yrs. I was always happy to land a teaching job, but many times had to take something else that was a stretch from teaching, but still very enjoyable (newspaper co-editor, engineering ass't, DPW admin. ass't, volunteer and salaried teaching for federal programs)
I hope that both you and your husband find the ideal homeplace and terrific jobs. Be persistent and you'll land just right.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate the honesty. I do have to say that I love my homestead, the land is beautiful and full of wildlife I wouldn't see in a larger city, and if I could get a job in my desired field I would most likely retire here. With that said, I'm afraid we may have moved to an area that is TOO small without a lot of growth. I have applied with every district bordering our county with no luck. My DH and I have a time frame, and if nothing comes by then, we'll be looking for another area. Homesickness is not an issue...the weather and scenery is much more appealing than Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville