U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2012, 06:44 PM
 
Location: East TN
19 posts, read 67,144 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

I'm simply amazed at all of this great info! Answers to questions that I hadn't even thought to ask yet! Thank you again. You've been a HUGE help!
>> You won't starve. Or you can just come on over to my house
LOL. We may just take you up on that! (JK) Though I'm sure you were just being polite...that was a still a very nice (and amusing) offer.
My best,
Donna


Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Believe it or not, Steeplechase is one of the better values in Knoxville. Over on the west side you will pay more for the same quality, in general.

Regarding grocery stores, I agree. The Ingles over here stinks, stinks, stinks. I've written to the company a couple of times about it. I'm a foodie so I prefer a better selection although it is fine in a pinch. Prices are pretty good. But go up to the Emory Road exit and that Ingle's for a far better selection. The Kroger's over on Clinton Highway is a good alternative as well. It is 23 minutes from my house to Turkey Creek. That means that it is probably about 18 minutes from Steeplechase. There is a good selection there. We are also poised to get a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Costco and Publix coming on the scene. There is also a couple of Fresh Markets and Earth Fare's in Knoxville and in season we now have farmer's markets running 7 days a week somewhere in the area. You won't starve. Or you can just come on over to my house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2012, 06:47 PM
 
Location: East TN
19 posts, read 67,144 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
Steeplechase itself is fine. I've recommended it to a friend who teaches at a school nearby. I would probably shop for groceries somewhere else, as the stores there lack quality.
Thanks airen! I think that hipnapster did a wonderful job on expanding on your reply. You've all been great! Sincere thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 PM
 
Location: East TN
19 posts, read 67,144 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiepiesami88 View Post
I lurk on these boards quite often, but never really post, but I feel the need to answer your question lol. I moved to Knox from Indiana in August, and live at Steeplechase. I definitely feel safe there as a young female. We heard of a few car break-ins a year or two back, but that's about it. I wouldn't go running around at night by myself, but I wouldn't do that anywhere. So safety there is good. In regards to the actual apartments, they're overpriced IMO. You pay for more than you get. The walls are thin, the windows are single pane so heat/air from outside comes in and your electric bill is more than it should be, and mold gets around them from not being insulated properly. However, the staff is exceptionally nice, and maintenance requests are responded to in a timely manner for having over 400 units. I think it is overpriced, but definitely safe, so if it's the area that most appeals to your daughter, I would recommend it.
SweetiePie...you've definitely added some very useful info to this discussion! Along with all the other replies.. yours will probably make (or break) their decision. There will probably be times when she (daugher) WILL be there alone so it helps tremendously to know that you feel safe there. (as a female) -- The info on the individual apts was extremely helpful as well ! -- You've all been GREAT and we appreciate each and every one of your answers.
My best,
Donna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
21,680 posts, read 31,723,338 times
Reputation: 11789
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna106 View Post
I'm simply amazed at all of this great info! Answers to questions that I hadn't even thought to ask yet! Thank you again. You've been a HUGE help!
>> You won't starve. Or you can just come on over to my house
LOL. We may just take you up on that! (JK) Though I'm sure you were just being polite...that was a still a very nice (and amusing) offer.
My best,
Donna
Don't laugh! I love cooking for people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 PM
 
16 posts, read 20,897 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna106 View Post
SweetiePie...you've definitely added some very useful info to this discussion! Along with all the other replies.. yours will probably make (or break) their decision. There will probably be times when she (daugher) WILL be there alone so it helps tremendously to know that you feel safe there. (as a female) -- The info on the individual apts was extremely helpful as well ! -- You've all been GREAT and we appreciate each and every one of your answers.
My best,
Donna
My boyfriend actually works 3rds and I'm home alone of an evening quite often, and I'm never worried about it. Good luck with your (and your daughter's!) search! I think they'll love Knoxville.

Oh, and as far as grocery stores go, we actually do most of our shopping at Aldi's over in Powell. It's about a 5/10 minute drive from here. It's a lot cheaper, but they don't usually have any name brands, and you have to bag your own groceries. But for us, the money we save is worth it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
21,680 posts, read 31,723,338 times
Reputation: 11789
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiepiesami88 View Post
My boyfriend actually works 3rds and I'm home alone of an evening quite often, and I'm never worried about it. Good luck with your (and your daughter's!) search! I think they'll love Knoxville.

Oh, and as far as grocery stores go, we actually do most of our shopping at Aldi's over in Powell. It's about a 5/10 minute drive from here. It's a lot cheaper, but they don't usually have any name brands, and you have to bag your own groceries. But for us, the money we save is worth it
Oh my gosh I forgot all about Aldi's! It's small and doesn't have everything but there are some great deals there. Awesome concept.

Like I said, the closest grocery is small and meh, but there are tons of other options within 20 minutes or much, much less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 06:09 PM
 
Location: East TN
19 posts, read 67,144 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Don't laugh! I love cooking for people!
Ok, I wasn't really laughing per se'...but rather appreciatively "smiling out loud". ;o) We may just take you up on that generous offer one of these days. What kinds of food do you enjoy cooking? Some of your favorites or specialties?
Speaking of cooking...my daughter is majoring in the culinary arts. I'm a pretty awesome cook...if I do say so myself (mostly southern-style) but I'm sure that I can still learn a few things from our little chef-in-the-making. ;o)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 06:13 PM
 
Location: East TN
19 posts, read 67,144 times
Reputation: 19
Thanks for the additional info! I'll pass that on to her. I'm sure that it will be very helpful. She uses a lot of coupons so driving a few extra miles to save $ would not be a problem at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2012, 11:21 AM
 
4 posts, read 17,992 times
Reputation: 10
Since I'm considering a move to Knoxville myself, and don't know anything about the apartment complexes there, I was interested to see this thread. However, when I Googled Steeplechase Apartments Knoxville, I found that the reviews on Google only give it an average of 2 out of 5 stars. From reading over the reviews, it seems most people think that Steeplechase is overpriced for what you get, that the apartments themselves are not well-constructed (you can hear everything going on in the apartments around you), and while they look nice on the outside, on the inside the apartments have outdated appliances and problems with mold and bugs.

Again, I've never lived there myself and don't know anyone who has, I'm just relaying what I read in the Google reviews of the complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2012, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
21,680 posts, read 31,723,338 times
Reputation: 11789
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM107 View Post
Since I'm considering a move to Knoxville myself, and don't know anything about the apartment complexes there, I was interested to see this thread. However, when I Googled Steeplechase Apartments Knoxville, I found that the reviews on Google only give it an average of 2 out of 5 stars. From reading over the reviews, it seems most people think that Steeplechase is overpriced for what you get, that the apartments themselves are not well-constructed (you can hear everything going on in the apartments around you), and while they look nice on the outside, on the inside the apartments have outdated appliances and problems with mold and bugs.

Again, I've never lived there myself and don't know anyone who has, I'm just relaying what I read in the Google reviews of the complex.
I've never lived there but know people that do. I've been in them as well.

Most apartment review sites don't get very good ratings because more people will write with a complaint than because they were satisfied. There is always the issue with management stacking the reviews as well. I don't work at Steeplechase and whether someone moves in there matters none to me. But anyone can Google the reviews. It's one of the first things that come up for any apartment complex. People that live in or near them and people that have been in them probably have a bit more information than a review website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top