Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:54 PM

19 posts, read 98,708 times

Advertisements

Hi ladies and gents,
Is anyone here from the North Knox area? In or around SteepleChase? Our daughter is thinking of moving to Steeplechase Apts but we know nothing at all about the crime rate...the neighborhood...jobs available etc. If any of you are familar with N. Knox in general (and the steeplechase area in particular) we would greatly appreciate your comments and any general info.
Thanks in advance.
~ Donna ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna106 View Post
Hi ladies and gents,
Is anyone here from the North Knox area? In or around SteepleChase? Our daughter is thinking of moving to Steeplechase Apts but we know nothing at all about the crime rate...the neighborhood...jobs available etc. If any of you are familar with N. Knox in general (and the steeplechase area in particular) we would greatly appreciate your comments and any general info.
Thanks in advance.
~ Donna ~
I don't live too far from there. The area is fine. All things considered, this area has a decent unemployment rate. However, you should still get a job before moving anywhere.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't live too far from there. The area is fine. All things considered, this area has a decent unemployment rate. However, you should still get a job before moving anywhere.
Thanks Hiknapster! I appreciate your time. Her hubby is employed (much closer to N. knox than where they presently live) and she has a seasonal job near UT but she's looking for something else ...as well as being a full time student. -
Thanks again. I hope that others will add their comments as well. As a concerned parent...the more positive answers the better I'll feel about it. ;o)

Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 PM

I don't know how many people on this forum live near there. Not many if any. It's an apartment complex that I've recommended on here before. I live in a nice area and I'm not some kid. I'm a 50-year-old with a child to raise in live in a nice home in a decent neighborhood. The elementary school over here is one of the best in the county. Hope that helps.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't know how many people on this forum live near there. Not many if any. It's an apartment complex that I've recommended on here before. I live in a nice area and I'm not some kid. I'm a 50-year-old with a child to raise in live in a nice home in a decent neighborhood. The elementary school over here is one of the best in the county. Hope that helps.
Thank you! That helps tremendously. It's a comfort to know that I'm talking to a mature person who actually knows what they're talking about. (warm smile) Thank you for clarifying that. I sincerely appreciate your reply.
Have a great weekend!
My best to you & yours,
Donna

Old 02-25-2012, 08:49 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,290 times
Steeplechase gets a thumbs up. It's one of two apartment complexes on the north side of town I'd highly recommend. It's convenient to I-75. It's a well-manicured property. I looked at one of their units about 10 years ago when I was in transition, but chose elsewhere due to budget constraints.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
Steeplechase gets a thumbs up. It's one of two apartment complexes on the north side of town I'd highly recommend. It's convenient to I-75. It's a well-manicured property. I looked at one of their units about 10 years ago when I was in transition, but chose elsewhere due to budget constraints.
Thank you BST. That eases my mind a lot. With TWO thumbs up now...we're all feeling much better about them seriously considering the area/apt complex. =0) It's great to have a place like this (forum) to come and ask questions and get prompt, courteous replies from real, live folks who take time out of their busy schedules to help others.
We appreciate that. :-)
~Donna~

Old 02-27-2012, 06:46 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,163 times
Steeplechase itself is fine. I've recommended it to a friend who teaches at a school nearby. I would probably shop for groceries somewhere else, as the stores there lack quality.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:20 PM

16 posts, read 38,665 times
I lurk on these boards quite often, but never really post, but I feel the need to answer your question lol. I moved to Knox from Indiana in August, and live at Steeplechase. I definitely feel safe there as a young female. We heard of a few car break-ins a year or two back, but that's about it. I wouldn't go running around at night by myself, but I wouldn't do that anywhere. So safety there is good. In regards to the actual apartments, they're overpriced IMO. You pay for more than you get. The walls are thin, the windows are single pane so heat/air from outside comes in and your electric bill is more than it should be, and mold gets around them from not being insulated properly. However, the staff is exceptionally nice, and maintenance requests are responded to in a timely manner for having over 400 units. I think it is overpriced, but definitely safe, so if it's the area that most appeals to your daughter, I would recommend it.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:28 PM

Believe it or not, Steeplechase is one of the better values in Knoxville. Over on the west side you will pay more for the same quality, in general.

Regarding grocery stores, I agree. The Ingles over here stinks, stinks, stinks. I've written to the company a couple of times about it. I'm a foodie so I prefer a better selection although it is fine in a pinch. Prices are pretty good. But go up to the Emory Road exit and that Ingle's for a far better selection. The Kroger's over on Clinton Highway is a good alternative as well. It is 23 minutes from my house to Turkey Creek. That means that it is probably about 18 minutes from Steeplechase. There is a good selection there. We are also poised to get a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Costco and Publix coming on the scene. There is also a couple of Fresh Markets and Earth Fare's in Knoxville and in season we now have farmer's markets running 7 days a week somewhere in the area. You won't starve. Or you can just come on over to my house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: