Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times

Advertisements

Last week we got 3 calls from a roofing company telling us they were "going to be in our neighborhood" and would like to come by and inspect our roof for storm damage.
My wife informed them that I was a home inspector and really didn't need their service, AND asked if they were aware that we are on the DO NOT CALL list.
On Friday I get a knock on my door and here is a guy from A$&n Roofing asking if I want my roof inspected. Since I had just gotten in, I still had my company shirt on that says ********* Inspection Service on the front.
I told him that: 1. I had already looked at our roof, and 2. we didn't get any hail in our area of Karns during the storm.
He then gave me a little smirk and said "YOU inspected the roof?". I pointed to my shirt and said that I had been inspecting since 1989 and I have a pretty good idea how to inspect roofs. Then I repeated that we didn't have any hail in our sub division.
This idiot then asked me if I was sure I didn't want a professional to look at the roof, just to be sure.

I just stood there for a bit without saying anything, then just shut the door. My neighbor said his truck had Florida plates.

They must be desperate for work now the storm damage jobs has dried up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I had two different companies stop by in three days this past week. The last one said, "I'm sure you have people talking to you all the time about your roof." I told him no and he started to get smart with me. Ultimately, I tell them I'm moving and that gets them to leave. I have no interest in arguing with people that are looking to make a fast buck. But my roof is only about 6 years old.

However, I've had two enormous trees fall on the property in the past 8 months. The most recent event was last night. So far they haven't hit the house but it's a matter of time. The latest tree was probably 50 feet tall. Then I might actually need a roof, but newsflash to these companies, I'll go with a local reputable company.

I'm at the point where I'm going to put up a "no solicitation" sign.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,639 times
There are a couple of roofing operations going by the names of 'certain western trees' who have developed an unscrupulous reputation among my contacts. I've also heard of one local roofer who's "rented" its name and phone number to a large out-of-market business wanting to capitalize on last years storms. Beware, and ask your insurance agent who the wolves in sheeps clothing are! They have already heard all the war stories by now.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:43 AM

24 posts, read 51,774 times
I will be the first to say I HATE unsolicited sales people knocking on my door or calling, even though I know its just their job and they are trying to make a living. I tell them if I need something I know how to use the phone lol

Anyway, I hate to say this but it may only going to get worse as the storm season starts brewing up and its not looking good.

Please don't shoot me or put me on a "bad list" for saying this but my husband is the production manager for a Home Improvement company and roofing is one of the services they do. His company has a very good reputation with over 20 locations from Ohio down to Alabama and over to North Carolina. I asked him how they get their business. He said the sales guys are basically door knockers. What they do is go around to neighborhoods and look for damaged roofs. If they find one or two, they not only knock the doors in that area, some how they have a program that allows them to pull phone numbers for the homes in that area so they can also be called. That is why you are probably seeing so much activity.

He told me it was just crazy seeing all the guys coming from all over the place and staying at hotels just looking for storm damage. These guys pack up and leave for the next town when storms hit hard. Maybe the good news to it is all these "companies" will be heading west since so many storms have happened and are even predicted to happen tomorrow.

I guess my point is there are good stable roofing and home improvement companies out there. Don't hate them all (especially my husbands) lol

Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 AM

101 posts, read 325,562 times
I just tell them "I Rent"

Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 PM

51 posts, read 101,543 times
JetAgeHobo, that's probably one of the best ways to get rid of a salesman I've heard. I'm going to start using your tactic, hope you don't mind.

Funny thing is I actually did get damage on my roof but I've been having a hard time getting a roofer out to give me an estimate.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:26 AM

35 posts, read 143,245 times
I don`t know if this happens in your area, the last couple of summers we have had a crew knocking on every door on the road trying to get you to have an asphalt driveway installed.

All their vehicles have Texas plates, and everyone but the salesman that does the selling appears to be unable to speak English. ( Mexican? ). They offer a great price, like 60% of what a local company would charge, the work looks good, for a couple of years, and then it starts to fall part.

It`s always best to deal with a reputable local company with long term references? Even if it costs a bit more? I don`t deal with door to door salesmen or their alleged deals.

A fool and his money are soon parted?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 AM

345 posts, read 921,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetAgeHobo View Post
I just tell them "I Rent"
LOL! I love it Jet! Good idea!!

A girl I work with lives in Jefferson County. They had some hail damage just last Friday with this latest bout of storms. She called her insurance agent, who happens to be with a well known Tennessee insurance company that people tend to think only "farmers" have.

She asked for an adjustor to come out to inspect the roof for damage and get a quote on the price for repairs. Instead of doing that, this insurance company took it upon itself to schedule a Knoxville based roofing company to come out and "look it over" and possibly repair it at the time of inspection. This company runs alot of commercials here locally. The insurance company stated "they were sending their preferred company out". She said no way.

So just a heads up. Just as with your car, YOU decide who comes and repairs your home if you have damage. Just because a company runs ad's on TV does not mean they are reputable.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:12 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
In all of my roofing inspections since the storm, there was one insurance company that stood out from all of the rest.....in customer dis-service.
I went out on at least a dozen roof inspections in the Tellico Village area, where the insurance company (those people that plant and grow stuff on a farm) would deny their claims. Several were where two homes have a common roof (kind of like a duplex), where one side was getting re-roofed and the other was "denied".
Time and time again, I would go up on the roof, document the damage, and write a report the homeowners then took back to their insurance company.

I even met an adjuster at one job. He wanted to argue that the torn up roof "wasn't all that bad, he's seen worse". I asked him, "If this was your Mother's roof, what would you say?".

Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Just so's you know, there is a similar sounding LOCALLY based insurance company with HQ in a beautifully restored house on Hall of Fame that has provided me with trouble free service.

Great rates too, and they didn't skyrocket after the storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville