U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-01-2012, 08:18 AM

15 posts, read 13,027 times
Default What are Tennessee's and Knoxville's "Warts"?

Every state has certain things that most would love to change, but in most cases we are stuck with and learn to live with. I live in Wisconsin and I would say our "warts" would be our cold and long winters, high taxes and high cost of living, during summer it seems like every road is full of orange construction barrells and recently our political atmoshphere has been extrememly annoying. What are the "warts" in Tennessee and in particular Knoxville?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:58 AM
BST

451 posts, read 709,471 times
We live in Pleasantville. There are no warts.

Seriously though, sales tax is 9.25%. Residents inside the city limits pay taxes to both the city and the county governments. All of this is off-sets the absence of a state income tax. We are overcoming a long era of dysfunction between city/county gov't...and it has improved recently. Schools are OK, but could perform better in standardized testing results.

This region is very "middle of the road" with all fluctuations in real estate, jobs, and other leading economic indicators being more moderate than the rest of the country. Lows are never the lowest. Highs aren't quite as high. Weather is temperate - seldom extreme or severe.

If you can stand the boredom and the beauty of East Tennessee, you'll like it here.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:03 AM

3,296 posts, read 10,435,574 times
People that are looking to move here with no jobs and their criteria is : "safe" neighborhood, good schools, house with lots of property, on the water, near the mountains, outside the city but close enough, and all this for under $100K. :-)

Honestly, its hard for me to come up with much. I really enjoy living here.
I'm not crazy about the tax on groceries, but with no State income tax, it has to come from somewhere.
I could stand a little less humidity in the summer, but people from Florida enjoy the "drier" climate here.
I could mention stuff about bad drivers, but every city has bad drivers.
Some might mention heavy traffic, but I was raised in Los Angeles, so I have a totally different view on whats is considered "bad traffic". Except maybe Pigeon Force and Gatlinburg, or Cades Cove in the fall.
They don't sell wine in grocery stores.

But seriously, what's not to like?
Mild winters, 4 seasons, you can get almost anywhere in Knox County in less than 1/2 hour, and the people are great!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:33 AM

21,637 posts, read 31,051,084 times
My ex-husband lives here. He's an enormous wart. I wish he'd take his girlfriend and move back to Florida, already.

It's funny but I'm not kidding.

I love Knoxville. I love everything about the place much to the chagrin of a lot of the regulars on here. Yeah, sales tax is high but it is offset by an absence of hidden taxes, low property taxes (and I live in the city!) and no income tax. A lot of locals whine about it but have no idea what REAL taxes are like. Want to know how great the tax situation is in Knoxville? We're 47th in the country for tax burden. And here's the kicker, we get great services. The cops are awesome, the parks, including dog parks, are many and we have 43 miles of greenways.

The schools are very good. Standardized testing? If you rely on state averages, due to country schools and Memphis, along with some other areas, we get dragged down. If you go by the TCAPs we have higher standards than most other states. I've had my kids in Mass. and Fla. schools and they are very, very good in Knox County.

Yes, the weather is perfect if you lived up north and Florida, too. If you are from Southern Calif. then yes, it might not seem perfect.

We have a lot of moderates in this area. I like that. Sure we have the extremes on both sides of the aisles but for the most part people tend to have a "live and let live" attitude.

As I alluded to, my daughter and I were left in the lurch not that long ago. This city and its people have given us an incredible embrace. Last night an enormous tree fell in our yard. KUB had our power back on and the neighbor will remove the tree for us. People help each other around here and they are very friendly. It's nice to live in a place where if you are stuck waiting in line you can strike up a conversation to pass the time.

Oh, and the economy is better than most. I found a job in a month and I'm 50. I was told I might never find a job. Instead I found my dream job with fabulous pay, benefits and great hours.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 AM

5,234 posts, read 6,447,799 times
Boredom? If you like being able to participate in outdoor activities nearly year round it's not boring at all.

Have to agree on the schools, it would be nice to see all, or at least most, TN schools able to provide a quality education to our kids. As it is it's definitely hit and miss and something newcomers need to consider carefully when moving to TN.

Allergy issues might be another wart. Not the best place to move for a lot of allergy sufferers.

We also seem to get a lot of threads about the way animals are treated (dogs in particular) so if you are an animal rights activist you might consider us to have problems in that area too.

Meth and prescription drug abuse is a problem, it can be hard to get an RX for painkillers if you need them, but I'm pretty sure that's not unique to TN.

I feel like I've exposed some of our dirty laundry!
But yeah,I love living in east TN, warts and all.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Boredom? If you like being able to participate in outdoor activities nearly year round it's not boring at all.

Have to agree on the schools, it would be nice to see all, or at least most, TN schools able to provide a quality education to our kids. As it is it's definitely hit and miss and something newcomers need to consider carefully when moving to TN.

Allergy issues might be another wart. Not the best place to move for a lot of allergy sufferers.

We also seem to get a lot of threads about the way animals are treated (dogs in particular) so if you are an animal rights activist you might consider us to have problems in that area too.

Meth and prescription drug abuse is a problem, it can be hard to get an RX for painkillers if you need them, but I'm pretty sure that's not unique to TN.

I feel like I've exposed some of our dirty laundry!
But yeah,I love living in east TN, warts and all.
Wait a minute. You live in northeast TN, a couple of hours from here. Isn't this about Knoxville? Your comments about schools, meth and even pets are more suited to other areas and not Knoxville. The Tennessee forum gets a lot of threads about animal abuse, not the Knoxville forum. Allergies are an issue in Knoxville to many people. However, it is like that in a lot of the South. But I have to say I live in Knoxville and not any other area of this state for a reason.

Last edited by hiknapster; 03-01-2012 at 10:12 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 10:11 AM

5,234 posts, read 6,447,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Wait a minute. You live in northeast TN, a couple of hours from here. Isn't this about Knoxville? Your comments about schools, meth and even pets are more suited to other areas and not Knoxville. Allergies are an issue in Knoxville to many people. However, it is like that in a lot of the South. But I have to say I live in Knoxville and not any other area of this state for a reason.
He asked about TN warts, so yeah some of my comments, meth and schools in particular, apply to the whole state. Pet problems are more rural than city, but still, it's an issue in a lot of areas.
I know he's mostly interested in Knoxville, but peoples perceptions of the state are going to be affected by things that happen in other areas too.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:16 AM

Once again, there isn't a lot of meth in Knoxville. Pills, yes. But most of that comes from people out of state and Knoxville cops harass the pill mills and their customers until they shut down. I love that.

Our schools are far better than most. Oak Ridge and Maryville city schools are very good, too. The rest of East Tenn, with a few exceptions, is not that great.

If they are moving here they probably don't realize there can be a big difference between Knoxville and a lot of rural areas. I know I did. But if you've (Dubble T) never lived in Knoxville you really wouldn't know that...And having your kid go to UT and living here are two different things.

This is an important consideration for most transplants and something that so many people from out of state do not understand until they get here.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 AM

15 posts, read 13,027 times
Wow thanks for all the great feedback. I am intentending to move my family to the Knoxville area. My hurdles are selling a home and finding work. We've been down several times to visit both Knox and Nashville. We've also spent a lot of time researching (we're both planners) and I thought I'd see what are some negatives that I had not thought of.

Another negative on Wisconsin are the mosquitoes in the summer. Some years you can't even go outside at night. Any problems with the creepy crawlers in Knox?

Old 03-01-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solwoldjr View Post
Wow thanks for all the great feedback. I am intentending to move my family to the Knoxville area. My hurdles are selling a home and finding work. We've been down several times to visit both Knox and Nashville. We've also spent a lot of time researching (we're both planners) and I thought I'd see what are some negatives that I had not thought of.

Another negative on Wisconsin are the mosquitoes in the summer. Some years you can't even go outside at night. Any problems with the creepy crawlers in Knox?
I think it depends where you are located. Standing water around will always bring mosquitoes in a good portion of this country. Once again, my Florida experiences color all else. I lived in southwest Florida for awhile and it is very close to The Everglades. The mosquitoes were as big as Buicks. But all things considered, the mosquitoes are much lighter here than they were in Mass. and Fla. I first rented out in Knox County and never saw one mosquito for all three years. At my house I've had a few, especially last year which was the wettest year since we've been here. Nothing horrible.

I've heard talk of brown recluse spiders. Never saw one but they are in the area.

Occasionally someone on the forum writes about scorpions but in every instance it was regarding cabins in the Gatlinburg area.

There are poisonous snakes, rattlers and such. But I lived in Florida for almost 10 years and I am here to tell you that snakes aren't around unless you go out and look for them and even then.

By the way, I did a heck of a lot of research before I moved to Knoxville. I can really relate to your personality type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville