Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 04:18 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Hmmm... the article I just read where ther is a link on the other thread, that was document stats on Meth use in the Nation said TN was way way way down on the list. Can I ask where you got your info about TN being ranked #5?? I'd like to compare the two sources. Thanks.

oops, sorry, I didn't read to the end of the thread before I asked the above question. I guess I was not the only one that had the same thoughts. Being the highest in meth lab seizures is not the same as being the highest meth users. From all the research I have done on the subject, granted, not an expert by any means, just Internet cruising to find info, I see and read it as TN sheriffs and like Dept's. are better at stopping the creation of meth than most states.
Sorry, but I see that as a positive.
I have to agree with you, mbmouse. These are two very different reports. The large number of lab seizures vs. low number of users would be the benchmark that I would use to determine how threatening the meth "business" is to an area.

I feel more secure knowing that our next home is at the top of the list for seizures of meth labs, but down near the bottom of another list for the number of users in the state.

We have to research and read carefully, and be careful about what conclusions we draw from the statistics no matter what the subject. The forum is great for keeping things in perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 12:35 PM

375 posts, read 1,096,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post

I feel more secure knowing that our next home is at the top of the list for seizures of meth labs, but down near the bottom of another list for the number of users in the state.
One reason for the large ratio of lab seizures to users is that most of the labs seized in Tennessee are of the single idiot variety not the big gang-type labs pumping out hundreds of pounds of the stuff. And the new laws have helped. Be prepared to go to the pharmacy window show some ID and sign a book to get the good cold medicine. You're limited in how much you can buy over a certain period of time. Sorry, don't know the specifics. I've only bought one box under the new system so it hasn't been an issue.

And since I seem to have started a bunch of accusations about alarmist locals back at the beginning of this thread....a little background. I'm an environmental scientist and worked directly with developers for over a decade. I have friends who work in various emergency services and disaster planning fields. Yeah, we're a cheery bunch. I stumbled over this forum quite by accident during a google search gone awry. I'm just here to provide information and most of what I have is of the environmental problem variety . Know the bad and the good about where you're considering moving. Decide whether or not the risks are acceptable, but don't pretend they aren't there and don't let a developer convince you that you're moving into a '50s TV show. Those places didn't even exist in the '50s.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:36 PM

Thumbs up Understand the situation, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
One reason for the large ratio of lab seizures to users is that most of the labs seized in Tennessee are of the single idiot variety not the big gang-type labs pumping out hundreds of pounds of the stuff. And the new laws have helped. Be prepared to go to the pharmacy window show some ID and sign a book to get the good cold medicine. You're limited in how much you can buy over a certain period of time. Sorry, don't know the specifics. I've only bought one box under the new system so it hasn't been an issue.

And since I seem to have started a bunch of accusations about alarmist locals back at the beginning of this thread....a little background. I'm an environmental scientist and worked directly with developers for over a decade. I have friends who work in various emergency services and disaster planning fields. Yeah, we're a cheery bunch. I stumbled over this forum quite by accident during a google search gone awry. I'm just here to provide information and most of what I have is of the environmental problem variety . Know the bad and the good about where you're considering moving. Decide whether or not the risks are acceptable, but don't pretend they aren't there and don't let a developer convince you that you're moving into a '50s TV show. Those places didn't even exist in the '50s.
If I recall, yarddawg, those new laws requiring you to sign for a limited amount of cold medicine are federal laws now. I do know that I have met with that requirement in PA, CT and GA all within the past year.

And, I totally agree about being fully aware of the environmental hazards and conditions in any area that one is considering. I grew up 75 miles from the Three Mile Island plants in PA, lived in Aiken, SC for 3 yrs. just up the river from the Savannah River Nuclear plants, and lived for 16+ yrs. 15 miles north of the Monroe MI reactors, and about 10 miles from the Berwick PA nuclear power stacks in the mts. of NE PA for 3 yrs. I do understand the consequences of a major spill, accident, hidden waste dumps, purposeful saboutage on these sites.

I didn't mean to under rate the seriousness of either the drug situation in E TN or discount the Oak Ridge possible threat. Just a simple conclusion to a country wide problem: Meth labs everywhere; be careful of the soil where you put your roots. Even, the small scale labs are a threat not so much in their volume output of drugs, but what individuals will do to protect their illegal activity. That is scarier than a "What if..." scenario as far as I'm concerned. Let's weed them all out - big and small time crooks.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I agree that drugs and all the fallout from them are horrible. I got a real education in Florida.

And yes, living near a nuclear power plant always has risks, but Oak Ridge is so much more than that. First of all, there is not a nuclear power plant there. But storing all of the nations enriched uranium, plus housing the premiere research facility for homeland security makes it a huge target. Then there is the fact that the town was created to produce the bombs that annihilated Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and that they really didn't know what they were doing regarding disposal, or didn't care, and you have a toxic wasteland.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I agree that drugs and all the fallout from them are horrible. I got a real education in Florida.

And yes, living near a nuclear power plant always has risks, but Oak Ridge is so much more than that. First of all, there is not a nuclear power plant there. But storing all of the nations enriched uranium, plus housing the premiere research facility for homeland security makes it a huge target. Then there is the fact that the town was created to produce the bombs that annihilated Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and that they really didn't know what they were doing regarding disposal, or didn't care, and you have a toxic wasteland.
That's a great point, hiknapster, and one that I tend to forget. With Oak Ridge it is quite a different situation. The danger isn't the same as with Three Mile Island, persay, but more with past indiscriminate disposal of hazardous wastes.

I think I remember in an earlier post that Oak Ridge and the government are pretty hush-hush with those disposal mistakes.

I get the idea from different posters that the terrorists' interest in the site doesn't seem too real for some. But, we have no guarantee that the next target or the one 10 yrs. from now won't be quite different from the financial and military target of 9/11.

There are very few really safe places in the world. I guess we have to put our trust in God to work this out His way.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:26 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Ok, I guess I am a bit cranky but I just have to say it. Get over it. There is so much "scary stuff" in our country that we have no idea exists; that what you do know about Oak Ridge (enriched uranium, etc.) looks like childs play I suspect. I am not belittling what is out there about Oak Ridge, but its' what you don't know that you should be worried about.

The thing is about the cancer sites and scares and statistics is this: by the time something is a statistic there's been exposure. Each and every place has its' danger.

When I was growing up in Kingsport our backyard had (has) a bomb shelter. People have been scared for a long time; people will continue to be scared and the fact of the matter is that none of us are getting out of here alive. I see cancer every single work day and I don't wish it on anyone; but you have to live life. Don't be scared, live each and every day to its' fullest!! None of us are promised tomorrow.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Ok, I guess I am a bit cranky but I just have to say it. Get over it. There is so much "scary stuff" in our country that we have no idea exists; that what you do know about Oak Ridge (enriched uranium, etc.) looks like childs play I suspect. I am not belittling what is out there about Oak Ridge, but its' what you don't know that you should be worried about.

The thing is about the cancer sites and scares and statistics is this: by the time something is a statistic there's been exposure. Each and every place has its' danger.

When I was growing up in Kingsport our backyard had (has) a bomb shelter. People have been scared for a long time; people will continue to be scared and the fact of the matter is that none of us are getting out of here alive. I see cancer every single work day and I don't wish it on anyone; but you have to live life. Don't be scared, live each and every day to its' fullest!! None of us are promised tomorrow.
You are a bit cranky tonight, hiknapster!! But, you are right. There are so many things that we are not aware of that are probably a bigger threat to us (like that big 18 wheeler headed my way with 16 of his retreads flying off!).

If we layed awake at night worrying about all of the monsters in the dark, who would ever sleep?

It is still good to know your environment and then decide what you want to live with and what you cannot tolerate. Me? My point was that after living my whole life around nuclear power plants and radioactive waste being transported in the truck in front of me probably, I never gave it a second thought then. We have DANGER signs around every corner. Some we should heed, others we know enough about to detour.

I agree. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
You are a bit cranky tonight, hiknapster!!
I'm not cranky. SmokyMtnGal is cranky!

I just woke up and can't get back to sleep. I'm not going to blame it on Oak Ridge, though. I just have sleep issues.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:07 AM

28 posts, read 111,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post

I am worried, only because I do not want to move to the town X that has been labeled a higher risk for Cancer than town Z, due to some contamination that has not been completely contained.

Both of my parents passed away young due to Cancer, if I can prevent unnecessary exposure to something to increase my life expectancy I will.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm not cranky. SmokyMtnGal is cranky!

I just woke up and can't get back to sleep. I'm not going to blame it on Oak Ridge, though. I just have sleep issues.
Sorry about that, hiknapster!!! I guess I was up too late myself to goof like that. I have had sleep issues myself lately. Gotta get this house sold - then I'll sleep.

I'll have to have a cranky chat with SmokyMtnGal. I'm pretty sure she figured out the post, though, and the message is the same. We can't control the things we have no knowledge of, and we stress too much about the things we do know about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville