Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,551 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job in knoxville at one of the hospitals in fort sanders and will be moving in about a month. I have read some reviews about that particular area that arent too promising.
I would like to stay near the hospital to possibly walk or ride a bike to work. I am a single 30 y/o male aiming for a relatively quiet place at roughly $800/mo with washer and dryer in the unit. i saw crowne at campus pointe but that is located in fort sanders but it is half a mile from the hospital
Are there any recommendations on apartments in the downtown area or will it be better to go west as that is what i have been reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 AM

33 posts, read 59,738 times
Hey, Yim, my family and I moved out from California last June.

While Fort Sanders is not the best area, it is not the worst. But, you know, you might want to look in the Gay Street/Old City area, where there are a lot of warehouse space being converted to urban loft living.

And as for driving - I don't know where you live in California (we lived in the OC) but traffic around here is easy. I live north of the city, just over the city limits in Powell, and it is a 10 to 15 minute drive to downtown for me.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:15 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,845 times
Reviews are subjective, I have found. It's usually the most disgruntled of people with unique situations that are negative. I lived in the area you're about to work in for 6-7 years and had great experiences.

You're right in the heart of UT campus. I've lived at Bridge Court, Crowne at Campus Pointe, and Franklin Station. Have friends who lived at Highlands, Grand Forest, and the Commons. Crowne at Campus Pointe is just a few blocks, an easy 15 minute walk if you aren't too sedentary.
List of some of the apts in the immediate area. Does not list all.
If you have a car, possibly going out west would be easier.
Knoxville Apartment Guide - Find Apartments in Knoxville, TN

You could also check out condo rentals at Franklin Station.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:48 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
The fort sanders area is dominated by students. There may be quiet corners but they will be the exception. Downtown is more your demographic. Sequoyah hills has some rentals. It is a leafy old money neighborhood but you will find young professionals among the renters. There are some gentrified neighborhoods with young professionals & grad students close in north but they will be a 1-2 mile commute. Mechanicsville is a gentrifying older neighborhood that is very convenient to the hospital - just across western avenue. It is much more edgy but you can rent a large apartment for 800. Look up Deadrick and oak on google earth.

Where are you living now? What kind of neighborhood?

Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 PM

51 posts, read 101,549 times
creek is right, downtown and Sequoyah Hills are nice areas to live. Sequoyah has a fantastic park you can easily walk/run to and is only 5 mins from Fort Sanders. You could also look in 4th and Gill, Broadway, and Fountain City. Those get further from the Fort as you get towards Ftn. City but will still only be a 10min drive if you live in Ftn. City. I have a rental property in Ftn. City and a lot of my tenants/potential tenants work in the downtown/university area so it is pretty convenient from that area. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,551 times
thanks everyone. I live in Torrance, CA and would commute 20 miles to work but didnt deal with much traffic because I was opposite to it. I was aiming to live the urban/downtown lifestyle but I may just commute.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:58 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
You'll be able to find lots of nice complexes & private rentals within a 10 minute car commute. But first you might try "wanted to rent" on CL for a downtown space. $800 is not out of line for a small unit and you might find a sublease or something.

Good luck.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:41 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,299,067 times
There isn't any traffic in Knoxville that compares to the 405 - you have no worries about commute traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville