U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2012, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 541 times
Default Possible Relocation-Looking at Apartments

Hello!
I am interviewing next week for a job at UT and wanted to check some apartments out while I am down there. I have a shortlist that I have researched both here and online.
Raintree
Manor View
Steeplechase
Waterford Village

I am looking for places within a 25-minute drive (with traffic) to campus, that are safe, relatively well taken care of, close to groceries/restaurants/shopping, and that are pet friendly. I would like either a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment that is under $700 a month.

I would love to hear if anyone has had experiences with those on my list, or if you can recommend any additional places to look at. Also, what would you estimate the cost for electric, gas, water, basic cable, and internet to be?
Thanks in advance!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM

16 posts, read 18,156 times
I currently live at Steeplechase, and it definitely meets your requirements. While I wouldn't say Steeplechase is the nicest apartment community in Knoxville, it's a good value for your money. I live in a 2 bdrm/1.5 bath, and pay $655 a month in rent. I also have two dogs, so they add on an extra $20/month per animal. And beware, you have a large non-refundable pet deposit up front too. If you have two animals, or one dog over I believe 40 lbs, its $450, non-refundable.

It takes me about 10-15 minutes to get to UT's campus (that's not including the extra time finding parking/walking to where I need to be) and it's a really quick hop onto I-75 from here.

The one thing I really hate about these apartments though is the insulation. The windows are single pane windows - so don't expect heat to stay in during the winter, or air during the summer. The boyfriend and I gave up on that a long time ago, after multiple high electric bills, and just open the windows and use a small heater in the room were in. If we were to run the heater about 85% of the time, our electric bill would be close to $120 (and we would still be freezing our bums off). Right now, because of the wonderful weather, we've had it turned off an our bill has only been about $50. It's all electric though, so you don't have to worry about gas.

The water bill here fluctuates from month to month, and they have an odd way of billing you. What the management does is they total up the water usage for the entire apartment community. Then they base your monthly bill off of water usage for your building (there are 8 units in each) and how many people you have living in your apartment. So a family of 4 will pay more than a family of 2. It kinda stinks, because if you go on vacation for a week, you still pay for water for the week. We have two people living in our apartment, and we pay roughly anywhere from $38-$45.

As far as TV/Internet - we have promo's through AT&T right now. We pay $44 a month for TV & $25 a month for Internet - that'll go up soon though. Cable is your only option here - so either Comcast or AT&T. They tell you you can have a satellite, but you aren't allowed to mount it anywhere, or steak it in the ground, so it's impossible to get a signal.

Overall, I think you'd be happy here. There's quite a diverse group of people who live here, families, single college students, young couples. The maintenance staff is on top of things too, so that's nice. We had a water leak and they were over here very quickly.

Sorry it's long, but hope it helps!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:00 PM

14 posts, read 12,699 times
You may have already made a decision as to where to live, but if not, here's my two cents. I live close to Waterford Village, and I can say that the accessibility in that area is great since it's so close to I-640. You can get to UT in about 15 minutes. Kroger and Food City are less than half a mile away for grocery shopping, as well as Walgreen's, CVS, and several fast food places. West Town Mall is about 15 minutes away. I'm not sure what you'd pay in an apartment for utilities. But for cable, internet, and phone, through Comcast it'll cost you about $135/month without promotional rates. Knology is similar, but in my opinion they offer an inferior product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville