Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 AM

119 posts, read 384,326 times

Advertisements

I would be SO excited to see a Costco in the area for sure!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsdove View Post
I would be SO excited to see a Costco in the area for sure!!!

The fact 1,000's of Sam's Clubs are going the way of the dodo dodo, Costco would ROCK!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:49 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all. Costco would be wildly popular in Knoxville--particularly Turkey Creek. I would gladly drive past three Sam's Clubs to get to Costco.
I suspect that if Costco goes into the Chattanooga area it will be because of the VW plant that will have well-paid workers, not to mention the secondary effects of other expanding businesses. For that reason, it makes sense to further expand into the Knoxville metro, about 90 minutes away.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Costco is going into the Chattanooga area. North Georgia, though, so that they can sell wine. I imagine the no wine situation in TN does not appeal to them very much. There is a huge profit margin in wine sales.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:19 PM

231 posts, read 585,670 times
They do allow wine sales in Putnam County. There is currently a Sam's Club in Cookeville, but Costco does offer more variety of products. It seems that Sam's inventory & selection has started to decline in the past couple of years.

Of course, there is always Costco.com, but sometimes the prices are better in the warehouse for some odd reason.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Oh, they allow wine sales in Knox County, too. But not in a grocery store. Wine and liquor are sole in a separate store. There isn't any beer there, though. That is sold in grocery stores as well as convenience stores.

I guess the only thing they could do about that is have a separate store just for wine.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:20 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Costco is going into the Chattanooga area. North Georgia, though, so that they can sell wine. I imagine the no wine situation in TN does not appeal to them very much. There is a huge profit margin in wine sales.
There certainly is!

But Costco already has stores in Tennessee (Memphis and Nashville) where they don't sell liquor. So hopefully that shouldn't stop them from coming to Knoxville.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:32 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,375 times
Its fairly well known that the big distributors and liquor stores bribe the state politicians. This issue has already come up several times and been thrown out. The News Sentinel showed in the last failed vote the amount of money donated by the liquor/wine store lobbyists to each of our wonderful representatives I've talked to a few supporters of the grocery-store led pro-wine initiative. They tell me that the number of petition signatures would astound you and that they think they can eventually force a popular vote

Old 02-17-2010, 02:02 PM

7,539 posts, read 17,226,479 times
My view is if we're doing popular votes on my right to marry a man, then hell yes we should vote on something as stupid as wine at the grocery stores.

Anyway. Costco IS coming to Knoxville. You heard it from me first. I just don't know when. But with stores in Nashville and Chattanooga, they will definitely want to expand to Knoxville to take advantage of warehouses and distribution lines.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:31 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,704 times
Default Costco looked at West Knoxville site

From today's KNS:
Quote:
KNOXVILLE -- Rumors about Costco’s interest in Knoxville have flourished in recent months, and now a local broker may have some details.
David Brooks, the owner of Valley Real Estate Services, said Monday that he recently had the listing for a property near the Lovell Road-Kingston Pike intersection, behind Walgreens, and that Costco had showed interest in it.
Costco looked at West Knoxville site » Knoxville News Sentinel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville