Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:48 AM

4 posts, read 4,897 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I decided to join this forum after my wife received a job offer in Knoxville yesterday. We are looking to relocate within the next month but we do not have a clue as to what area to look at buying/renting a home. Her job will be at UT but she is willing to commute. We are looking for homes in the 150k -200k range. I would like to be in the safest neighborhood possible since we have an 8 month old son and I will not be able to make the initial move to Knoxville with them. Any suggestions at all will be helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 06:43 PM

730 posts, read 1,910,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wom208 View Post
Hi All, I decided to join this forum after my wife received a job offer in Knoxville yesterday. We are looking to relocate within the next month but we do not have a clue as to what area to look at buying/renting a home. Her job will be at UT but she is willing to commute. We are looking for homes in the 150k -200k range. I would like to be in the safest neighborhood possible since we have an 8 month old son and I will not be able to make the initial move to Knoxville with them. Any suggestions at all will be helpful.

Thanks
Look about 30 minutes in most any direction from her work and you will find something that qualifies.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 PM

30 posts, read 92,948 times
Hello!
I live in Seymour with my wife and kids. We really like it here. The schools are good and the people are (for the most part) nice. Seymour is a somewhat short drive from downtown Knoxville, just get on Chapman Highway and go. Right now, the Gay St bridge or Henley Bridge is being repaired, so traffic from downtown Knox is routed over another bridge and sent back to Chapman Hwy which is 4 lane from there to Seymour.

I know there are other nice places in Knoxville to live. Just throwing at ya something to think about.

Best of luck to you and your family! Which part of Mississippi are you currently in? I spent a lot of time in the Biloxi/Gulfport area, then north to the metropolis of Wiggins, MS.

Tony

Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 PM

170 posts, read 346,202 times
I live in Powell and like it quite well. And for 150-200K it would be a good fit price wise for homes. I-75 also goes thru the heart of Powell which is a BIG Plus. But there are several nice suburbs in or around Knox County where you could find a home in that range. Again, I think the Interstate going thru Powell is a big plus, it gives you better/quicker access to other parts of the city. JMO.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 4,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0wb0yup View Post
Hello!
I live in Seymour with my wife and kids. We really like it here. The schools are good and the people are (for the most part) nice. Seymour is a somewhat short drive from downtown Knoxville, just get on Chapman Highway and go. Right now, the Gay St bridge or Henley Bridge is being repaired, so traffic from downtown Knox is routed over another bridge and sent back to Chapman Hwy which is 4 lane from there to Seymour.

I know there are other nice places in Knoxville to live. Just throwing at ya something to think about.

Best of luck to you and your family! Which part of Mississippi are you currently in? I spent a lot of time in the Biloxi/Gulfport area, then north to the metropolis of Wiggins, MS.

Tony
Thanks for the response. I will make sure we look into that area when we make the visit to Knoxville next week. We are currently located in Hattiesburg, MS.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 PM

30 posts, read 92,948 times
One of my friends I have known for 30 years lives in Hattiesburg. I bet you even know how to correctly pronounce "Gautier"! Knoxville is a great place, we don't regret moving here a bit. Let me know if you need any more info on Seymour or this end of Sevier County. There is also a good mix of people on here from all parts of Knoxville. Good luck on your visitation trip.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:55 PM

469 posts, read 1,170,625 times
Check out the Deane Hill area of Knoxville. Its in the city very close to UT and its also a very safe area with good schools. There is a lot more to do than in Seymour or Powell and a lot less auto-dependence

Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 AM

224 posts, read 825,919 times
Powell is real nice. Karns, Beardon, Maryville are nice places. Clinton is fairly safe and is really cheap compared to Knoxville and has a lot of houses up for sale. Its just there is nothing to do there and the commute may be more than you want.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,058,028 times
I wouldn't recommend Clinton. Although parts of it are fine, it is a bit grungy and a pretty long commute to UT. It's doable but why move out that way when you can stay in Knoxville and get a decent home in that price range? And the schools are not the best, either. The child isn't ready for school but it's never a good idea to buy in a bad school district due to resale value.

And it is spelled "Bearden."

Maryville is a bit more expensive, generally, than Knoxville. The good school district is Maryville city. If you end up out in the county the schools are not that great.

Stick to Knoxville. Fountain City, Bearden, Powell, Karns, Rocky Hill, West Hills, West Knoxville, the Hardin Valley area and Farragut are all excellent choices.

Welcome!

Old 05-25-2012, 12:11 PM

58 posts, read 138,987 times
We recently made the move from MS to TN. We are now living in Maryville. We love this area it is beautiful, the people are friendly and the weather has been fantastic! We have plenty of places to shop and dine out. We also feel very safe in this area. I wish you the very best in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville