Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
What an interesting thread! We are moving to Knoxville from Cookeville sometime soon--my husband lives in Knoxville during the work week already. We were attending a family function at a restaurant near the world's fair site a few weeks ago and my husband drove me past the boarded-up, massive Baptist facility. Surely somebody can do something with that place. There is still stuff in some of the offices, even. It was kind of depressing to look at.
Last I heard, the property is for sale. I think the slow economy nationwide has probably hindered the potential for development in the immediate future...but it's certainly a prime spot (23 acres between Knoxville's 2 downtown bridges). I would imagine we will eventually see a large mixed-use development go up there...whether or not any of the existing structures are a part of that remains to be seen.

I think the main problem is that it's a large site and will take a very large investment to develop it (or at least back it) -- likely a company with deeper pockets than what you would find in the Knoxville area.

Perhaps when the economy rebounds (hopefully it will), we'll see some renewed interest in the site.

Of course, I don't live in Knoxville, so I don't know if someone has heard anything substantial in the past 2 years. I couldn't find anything newer than 2010 online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 07:35 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Easy for the casual observer to say, "Surely somebody can do something with that place." When St. Mary's bought out Baptist, they closed it down just as the recession was hitting. Now Tennova, a for-profit entity, bought out St. Mary's. If they can unload it and make a buck, trust me, Tennova - based out of Florida - will. The city has committed to being involved in the south waterfront redevelopment and there is talk of buying the property but nothing has moved forward, yet. Personally, I'd like to see private development step in and buy it but there is also talk of knocking it down coming at a pretty penny. The word "asbestos" has been bandied about in hushed tones, although that rumor might be as useless as most. But no, people in Knoxville are hyper-aware of Baptist Hospital sitting up there on the banks of the Tennessee. You didn't need to point it out to us. We get it.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:04 PM

50 posts, read 170,146 times
Smile changes

we moved back here 4.5 years ago, after moving to the chicago area for 25 years. everything is the same, but different....if that makes sense. turkey creek for shopping and eating.....disappointed in restaurants here. kind of thought there would be at least one good italian restaurant (not a chain type).....and more ethnic restaurants. the only greek restaurant that opened here after we moved back closed about a year later. just not sure why knoxville doesn't support anything other than fast food and chain restaurants. that being said, we love being back. we can find great restaurants when we travel.......our lifestyle here would not be affordable many other places....lake living within a short distance from most everything.

love it!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandymwp View Post
we moved back here 4.5 years ago, after moving to the chicago area for 25 years. everything is the same, but different....if that makes sense. turkey creek for shopping and eating.....disappointed in restaurants here. kind of thought there would be at least one good italian restaurant (not a chain type).....and more ethnic restaurants. the only greek restaurant that opened here after we moved back closed about a year later. just not sure why knoxville doesn't support anything other than fast food and chain restaurants. that being said, we love being back. we can find great restaurants when we travel.......our lifestyle here would not be affordable many other places....lake living within a short distance from most everything.

love it!!!!!!
You need to go downtown. There are plenty of non-chain restaurants, you just have to know where to look. Want Italian? Start here. Bella Luna Restaurant This isn't Chicago but it is better than you think.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:03 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:

love it!!!!!!
We like Altruda's for Italian. Altruda's

Other locals that we love, many are ethnic:

Sullivan's
The Tomato Head
Foothills Milling Co.
Aubrey's
Calhoun's
Stir Fry
Sitar
Taste of Thai
Tomo Japanese
Lakeside Tavern
Cocoa Moon Fusion Grill
Range House
Mulligan's
Litton's (ok, that was probably there 30 years ago)

Must stop now, the dog wants in.....

Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 PM

I like Altruda's, too. A couple of other popular Italian restaurants are Savelli's and Naples Italian, both in Bearden.

I highly recommend Shuck in the Old City for spectacular seafood. Chesepeake's is good, too. That's downtown. Also, Harry's is amazing. I haven't tried 31 Bistro but I hear it is great. Also I highly recommend Coolato Gelato for amazing soup, sandwiches and of course, gelato. Everything is homemade with the best of the best ingredients. The place looks like a chain because of her impeccable decorating skills. Actually, it is just a mom and pop and - wink, wink - they are from Chicago. Also try Bistro at the Bijou. The food is great, with wonderful ambiance and the owner is famous for throwing out Stacey Campfield! There are oh, so many more. Explore!

Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 PM

And how could I forget The French Market!

By the way, I hate the food at Calhoun's although the spot on the water is divine. Yet the same people own Chesapeake's and there is such a difference quality. I still go to Calhoun's on occasion, though. I took my daughter there to see the Fourth of July fireworks. Great spot but the food was worse than ever. Aubrey's is okay but as a local chain it is kind of chain-like.

Also, try Echo in Bearden.

Bistro by the Tracks was excellent at one time. It was bought out by Aubrey's and they ran off Chef Bogartz. I don't know if it is as good. I hear "no" but I would give it a try, anyway. Bogartz now owns Rouxbarb.

Oh! And if you just want the anti-chain place of all time - not necessarily the best food you will ever eat but you will never forget the experience - try King Tut's Grill. It may be the most bizarre restaurant you ever visit.

And speaking of Egyptian...Cairo Cafe | Authentic Egyptian Cuisine and Traditional Hookah Lounge.

I could go on and on. There is some great food and places here. There are some good places in the Farragut/West Knoxville area as well. Not as many and the chains reign there, but there are good places to be had!

Old 08-05-2012, 06:39 PM

We've been there...very good. I do know about the restaurants downtown.....just not much variety.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:45 PM

Been to altrudas and Naples.....don't think they're that good. Never been to savellis. French market is great.....for lunch...crepes and sandwiches...not open for dinner. Rousbarbs is good. Btw, I was not lamenting being here......we made that choice. I can go to Nashville, Atlanta, etc for good food. We travel all over the world, so i have been spoiled restaurant wise. We came back here because we love the lifestyle here. Can't be beat!

Old 08-05-2012, 07:07 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Been to altrudas and Naples.....don't think they're that good. Never been to savellis. French market is great.....for lunch...crepes and sandwiches...not open for dinner. Rousbarbs is good. Btw, I was not lamenting being here......we made that choice. I can go to Nashville, Atlanta, etc for good food. We travel all over the world, so i have been spoiled restaurant wise. We came back here because we love the lifestyle here. Can't be beat!
Actually, the French Market is open for dinner Tues-Sat. They're open til 8pm Tues-Thurs and until 10pm Fri-Sat.

Another crêperie has opened in Knoxville, at Knoxville Center Mall (formerly East Towne), believe it or not. It's in the food court. They have only dessert crêpes, but they're still the real deal, and their Nutella crêpe is just as good as any I ever had in Brittany France. Plus, they're half the price of what the French Market charges (and parking is plentiful and free). Who would've thought 30 years ago that Knoxville would have TWO French crêperies?

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville