Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 03:14 AM

252 posts, read 1,071,523 times

Advertisements

i am also posting this in the tri city link, does anyone know why the tri-cities seem cheaper than the knoxville area? Seems like population wise they are close, and just as nice.

pros and cons would be appreciated also!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 05:03 AM
pdq

170 posts, read 527,219 times
That's an easy questions and a tough one at the same time. Knoxville has a huge premium placed on it over many other "just as good or better" areas. This is mainly due to the fact that it thinks it's better so it must be better. They do hire some good PR people and pay out a lot for promotion. It lays in the middle of two converging interstate routes and only an hour or so to the tourist areas, more eyes looking but much more traffic and problems for people who actually live here. It has a better known university, unfortunately more know for football than academics. It's close to Oak Ridge which used to be a big deal. Oak Ridge is now becoming better known for toxic cleanup and storage than with great research. Knoxville is a place, it has it's good and bad. It's no better or worse than most any other place. If you're smart and resourceful you can make it here just like you can anywhere else. If you want to move here, find a good job that you like first. Jobs here are easy, want to work fast food or retail? Good jobs here are difficult.

Now where is mbmouse to talk about the Tri-Cities? I know you'll have better things to say about Kingsport than I can say about Knoxville.

Best of luck!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:32 AM

28 posts, read 111,473 times
What is the "Tri-City" area?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:34 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo View Post
i am also posting this in the tri city link, does anyone know why the tri-cities seem cheaper than the knoxville area? Seems like population wise they are close, and just as nice.

pros and cons would be appreciated also!
This is an easy one. The Tri Cities is very desirable to many people, but it's still largely rural. Knoxville's city population is larger than Kingsport, Bristol, and Johnson City combined.

Knoxville is growing faster, it's more urban, it's got a larger airport, it's not as isolated as the Tri Cities, and it's closer to popular tourist attractions.

However, you can still find inexpensive housing in Knoxville, particularly considering it's a "big city." Part of the reason housing in Knoxville seems expensive is because of the uber wealthy lakefront neighborhoods in West Knox County which skew the averages for the rest of the area.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 AM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
While the populations may seem similar, you have to remember that you're combining three seperate cities (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City) to achieve the one population of unified, cohesive Knoxville. As pdq said, UT is more prestigious than ETSU and attracts (along with Oak Ridge) more people from other parts of the world into the area. Both city-areas are settled in rural locations but it takes longer to get to that rurality in Knox Co. than it does in Washington or Sullivan counties.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:57 PM

18 posts, read 73,134 times
Default differences in topography, lay of land?

I am curious to know the differences in the lay of the land between rural Knoxville and The rural areas around Tri-Cities. I am assuming it is more mountainous around Tri cities, is this correct? Is there a county around Tri-Cities that is has areas of flatter more level land?

Also, what are some of the differences between rural county living in these areas? Regarding Schools, roads, building inspections and permits? Any and all info is appreciated!

Old 09-27-2007, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 10,180 times
Wink Knoxville resident

I grew up in the tri-cities and moved away in 1995. It is 3 smaller cities separated by about 20 miles from each other and the population is spread out. the job market there Sucks! Which is why the cost of living is cheaper there.

Knoxville is more of a metro city with much more to do. It's ranked the 58th largest city in the US while the Tri-City is the 93rd (if that gives you any how the population is) If you are looking to move anywhere in Eastern TN, I would Highly suggest you NOT consider the Tri-city area. You will be sorry.
Knoxville is a great place to live! I've been here 7 years and it's grown quiet a bit since then lots more to do and the cost of living is very inexpensive.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:21 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq View Post
Now where is mbmouse to talk about the Tri-Cities? I know you'll have better things to say about Kingsport than I can say about Knoxville.

Best of luck!
I already answered in the Tri-Cities forum, but thanks for thinking of me

Old 10-15-2007, 06:06 AM

24 posts, read 80,267 times
Knoxville borrows some high-tech atmosphere from Oak Ridge, even though Oak Ridge is its own city. There's also UT, which is an undeniable draw.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:09 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Other than the lack of good jobs, is there any other reason you warn against the Tri-Cities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanknox View Post
If you are looking to move anywhere in Eastern TN, I would Highly suggest you NOT consider the Tri-city area. You will be sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville