Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 07:42 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,407 times

Advertisements

As some of you know I am a bit of a shutterbug, and enjoy capturing the natural and city landscapes of this area.

I was shooting around the city yesterday morning, and the thought occurred to me how cool it would be to get rooftop access to take shots from that vantage point.

(Any building, though obviously taller ones would be better)

I know this type of access is usually VERY restricted and I understand that. I'm not asking anyone to violate any rules to facilitate this endeavor.

I am willing to trade original digital images (and unlimited usage rights). I would love to do morning, afternoon, and evening shots (weather permitting).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 06:03 AM

24 posts, read 80,262 times
We used to have a facility on Broadway just a few blocks north of where we are now, and what seems to be such a small shift has yielded completely different views. Before, it was a grand rooftop view of neighborhoods and trees, now all we have is interstate. Bleah.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:30 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times
Default No rooftop yet?

No volunteers yet, TedTAce? It is such a great idea and you could post some great shots for all of us. JMT, how about a UT rooftop or is that too far from the area you want, Ted?

Somebody must have a great rooftop view! Cell tower! I hope someone comes through for you.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:00 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,935,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
No volunteers yet, TedTAce? It is such a great idea and you could post some great shots for all of us. JMT, how about a UT rooftop or is that too far from the area you want, Ted?

Somebody must have a great rooftop view! Cell tower! I hope someone comes through for you.
You know, I was trying to think of someplace on campus. About the only places I can think of are the nosebleed seats at Neyland Stadium facing the river, or one of the top floors of Laurel Apartments, the married student apartment tower on Laurel Ave in the Fort Sanders neighborhood right off campus.

There might be some nice views from the top of the 11th Street parking garage.

I haven't tried recently, but back in the good old days there were lots of places in the Marriott (then known as the Hyatt Regency) that offered good views of downtown Knoxville. This was before the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame was built, so I don't know if that has blocked some of the views. I don't know if Marriott made changes to block access of the upper floors from the general public when they renovated the hotel.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:15 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times
Smile Sounds like a plan to me. Maybe Marriott would like some publicity!

Well worth checking into some of JMT's areas, don't you think, TedTAce? We really want to see some of those great shots that you are imagining.

I knew you would be thinking of something, JMT!

Last edited by gemkeeper; 10-18-2007 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: spelling, of course, for a (ahem) teacher!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Ted, you might want to just go talk to the building mgr or hotel mgr and explain what you're up to and where the pic's are going. It probably wouldn't hurt to let them know you give credit to where the pic's are taken from (free advertising for them). I'll bet they'll give you whatever you want! I'm pretty sure that the hotel maintenance guy has been on the roof to check A/C units and such and could be convinced to take you there.....

Old 10-19-2007, 01:37 PM

812 posts, read 1,674,407 times
Great ideas all!!! JMT I'm sure the nosebleeds @ Neyland would be nice especially on an 'off day'. No one has e-mailed me, but I'll keep checking back here and hope to see something from JMT.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:21 AM

74 posts, read 220,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
As some of you know I am a bit of a shutterbug, and enjoy capturing the natural and city landscapes of this area.

I was shooting around the city yesterday morning, and the thought occurred to me how cool it would be to get rooftop access to take shots from that vantage point.

(Any building, though obviously taller ones would be better)

I know this type of access is usually VERY restricted and I understand that. I'm not asking anyone to violate any rules to facilitate this endeavor.

I am willing to trade original digital images (and unlimited usage rights). I would love to do morning, afternoon, and evening shots (weather permitting).
Please do let me know if you ever get out to the Newport/ Parrottsville area for photos, would really like to see them. You absolutely took the most beautiful pics of Dandridge,enjoyed them very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville