U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:05 PM

446 posts, read 429,925 times
Default Luxury cabins in smoky mountains

Hello...What are the family oriented cabins that are "nice/luxury" in smoky mountains? Preferably mountain views.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 PM

3,296 posts, read 10,451,303 times
Any and ALL cabins that are in the Smoky Mountains will have "mountain views". THEY ARE IN THE MOUNTAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what you mean by family oriented. Same with nice and luxury. ????????? There are lots of huge cabins in the Gatlinburg area, so I would call them luxury, but after all, they are log cabins, just big. There are hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of log cabins in the mountains. There are hundreds of rental places, some much nicer than others, some going or gone bankrupt.

To me, they are really all about the same, except for the size and maybe the furnishings. I have inspected hundreds of cabins. They are all about the same on the outside, logs with mostly metal roof (mostly green). Inside they are almost always log and/or wood walls, and almost all the them have bears of some sort in the decorations. Many have hot tubs on a deck thats really not safe to go on. Most of them are built on lots that are very steep. There are lots of tv's and some have pool tables.

It really depends on your needs and budget.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,179,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feng21 View Post
Hello...What are the family oriented cabins that are "nice/luxury" in smoky mountains? Preferably mountain views.

Thanks so much!
Barking Spider is right, most of the cabins are in the mountains with views of valleys and other mountains. The area attracts lots of families so I suspect most are family oriented.

It's very unlikely that many locals from the Knoxville area would be able to recommend any particular cabins since most of us are easy 1 hour or less drive away from the mountains and wouldn't need the accommodations. You might have better information in places where other vacationers have left reviews like tripadvisor. Gatlinburg Forum, Travel Discussion for Gatlinburg - TripAdvisor

Old 10-07-2012, 04:57 AM

3,322 posts, read 3,725,926 times
Many of the cabins don't have mountain views - at least by my definition which is a panoramic view of the higher peaks.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:02 AM

3,296 posts, read 10,451,303 times
I guess it could also depend on the definition of "panoramic view". :-)
I guess after being to hundreds of cabins my "view" is a little different than other's may be. Virtually every cabin has views of trees, and mountains. Its just that many are IN the mountains and don't have a panoramic view. Only a small percentage will have a view of, say Clingmans Dome. Even within a cabin community, there will be some that have panoramic views, and others won't.

I guess when someone asks a vague question, they can expect vague answers.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:46 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,045,004 times
Now Jackson, be nice! Too many rental companies to name and pending the price and size you need, all kinds of rates, from a few hundred dollars, to as much as 700 to 800 a night to get a large 7 plus br, with great view!!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:29 PM

15 posts, read 12,256 times
Well...since I don’t live in the mountains and it might be nice to know which places are better than others. Some of the comments given back seem a little rude...if you're not from the area which I’m not you may not know which cabins are by the views than others.
I've rented cabins in Gatlinburg several times and the best I had as far as professional services and quality have been Jackson Mountain Homes. In fact I just rented a 2 story cabin a few months for 7 family members and the view was great. had 4 master bedrooms each with their own bathroom....two living rooms, pool table. Updated kitchens, hot tub and full amenities. I would suggest looking at the Ober Gatlinburg visitor website and they have a slew of rental companies that have cabins.......SOME of the cabins ARE outdated and NOT ALL have views in the mountains...some have views by a lake or by just trees....If you rent a cabin directly in Gatlinburg you will likely get a good view but if you rent one in Pigeon Forge or Sevierville it may very....so hopefully Feng21 my answer helped you a little more. Thanks.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:05 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,395,780 times
By the same token, if you LIVE here you really don't have much experience with cabin companies and locations/views.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,844,845 times
I rented one through Gatlinburg Cabins Online LLC and it really didn't have a view. It was off of Glades Rd near the Arts & Crafts loop. It was also down at the bottom of a hill, and when I looked up all I saw was the other cabins above it. But, as long as its wooded in the back with a private hot tub, I don't really care about a mountain view.

Not sure I would use GCO again, even though it was an upscale cabin. Non working Internet, dirty blankets and pillows, burnt out bulbs, etc. I have also read good things about Jackson Mountain Homes.

BTW, the Arts & Crafts loop is highly overrated, it dies at 5pm, and many of the shop owners are not friendly. Next time I will stay in the Wears Valley-Townsend area.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 PM

118 posts, read 147,760 times
Wears Valley area / Bluff Mountain is probably more of what you are looking for. Gatlinburg is just a drive away or you can take the trolley for hardly anything. Eden Crest, Majestic Mountains, Cabin Fever, Sugar Maples, there is alot in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville