Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:08 AM

7 posts, read 10,954 times

Advertisements

No negative attitudes here!!! I understand, Im not like that at all. Ive never been to Knoxville. I have been researching cities for a while now and stumbled upon Knoxville. Seems like a lovely place to live so here I am asking away.

I plan on securing a job first before I make a move to any city. With a family now, I can not take that risk. Im a little worried now about landing a job in my field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 PM

455 posts, read 670,265 times
After a long absence, I am still here!! And yes, I have adjusted finally. I am from NJ and if you want to send me a private message, I'd be happy to fill you in on the area and perhaps what to expect!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFAN View Post
After a long absence, I am still here!! And yes, I have adjusted finally. I am from NJ and if you want to send me a private message, I'd be happy to fill you in on the area and perhaps what to expect!
Well, you live in Loudon. I think you can offer a lot of insight into living in a town in East Tennessee and what to expect. It's why I always stress that Knoxville is really more of a large town than a big city in vibe and amenities. And living in a small town in East Tenn. as opposed to Knoxville can be very, very different things!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:39 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Like Dave said..... Its not the accent that will hurt you, its the "attitude". I don't mean just the NY attitude. What really seems to bother people here are the comments like, "we don't have/do that in ...........", or "why can't they have/do/act here like they do in ..........".
Someone with a positive, friendly attitude, not matter what kind of accent, will be accepted here. Someone with a negative attitude, maybe not so much.
How did you pick Knoxville as a destination? Have you visited?

Dave is right, you will need a car here.

YOu really need to secure a job before making the move, but you probably already know that.
Good luck with your quest.

As a former NYer I see the above ^^^ advice is the best so far. I live in the Knoxville suburb of Maryville. Leave all your expectations behind of what people here might be like. People here are polite and friendly but not quick to become "best buddies" with anyone, religion is still very important to many and while it is mostly a conservative area I find people are generally pretty live and let live.

Like Pam, we have found acceptance fairly readily but have seen others come and go who never managed to fit in. It isn't the "NY", or even the amount of NewYawk and Long Guyland speech you bring, it is how willing you are to belong to the area and do things the way they have been done here for generations. Some of the people may seem simpler and unsophisticated to you but many are not and are quite astute in reading people's attitudes.

The area requires a car as others have said. Much of even the more urban areas will seem more suburban verging on rural to you and the amount of mass transit will reflect that.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM

9 posts, read 9,347 times
We just moved from Niagara Falls in August. No trouble so far! Definitely visit first though, like others have said it is so much different. We got lucky and were able to find jobs pretty quickly (I'm in accounting and my boyfriend is a chef/kitchen manager). Our salaries are a bit lower than they were in NY. Rent is pretty comparable to WNY but has to be much lower than NYC I'm sure. Health insurance is the same as what we were paying up there, car insurance is about half as much, gas is way cheaper too. Utilities are also comparable to what we were paying but we'll see if that's true in the winter too.

Feel free to PM me if I can help with anything!

Last edited by shenning; 10-30-2012 at 06:56 PM..

Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,942 times
Sunshyne, have you moved or are you still planning to? I am also thinking about moving to Knoxville, however, I'm single. I was recently laid off from my job as a legal secretary and have heard good things about Knoxville, especially with regarding to COL. I'd be interested in hearing what you've found out about the legal stuff? Thanks.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM

345 posts, read 922,202 times
Hi Sunshyne!
I'm originally from Ohio myself, not as far north as you by any means, but still a northerner.
We've been here almost 5 years and we LOVE IT!

As far as legal secretary opportunities, you may want to try the Knoxville Bar Association. I myself was a legal secretary and when I moved here and I called them. I went into their office downtown and took a test and submitted my resume. At the time, nothing was available in my experience, but I did contact a temp agency and did a bit of work for them. It wasn't my forte, it may be for you, but I wanted perm work.

I was able to find a great job, though it isn't in the legal field, but I love it and I feel right at home.

Don't know what line of legal work you did but you can always just send a letter and resume to the firms you have experience in by searching up one's in the Martindale Hubble database or even Lexis Nexis if you have access. You may want to check the Knox County website; sometimes they have jobs avail in the clerks office or court office.

Best of luck to you; hope you find something! If I can be of any further assistance, feel free to PM me, I'll offer whatever help I can.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 PM

373 posts, read 644,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshyne78 View Post
No negative attitudes here!!! I understand, Im not like that at all. Ive never been to Knoxville. I have been researching cities for a while now and stumbled upon Knoxville. Seems like a lovely place to live so here I am asking away.

I plan on securing a job first before I make a move to any city. With a family now, I can not take that risk. Im a little worried now about landing a job in my field.
Little late to the conversation. I suggest you visit Knoxville before making a big jump to move there. I have been there a few hundred times and hate it more after every visit. I now know I could never live there but I would not have known that prior to visiting many times.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:42 PM

213 posts, read 551,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
Little late to the conversation. I suggest you visit Knoxville before making a big jump to move there. I have been there a few hundred times and hate it more after every visit. I now know I could never live there but I would not have known that prior to visiting many times.
Wow, that is pretty harsh. Would you please share why you have come to hate Knoxville so much.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
Been to Knoxville a "few hundred times" and keep coming back? And hate it more after each visit? Then why the "few hundred visits?" Sure sounds logical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville